WWDC predictions!

Not that anyone cares, but I am one of the 3 GHZ holdouts that elDiablo referred to above. I have not bought a G5 for two reasons:

1. Panther gave my existing machines new life
2. Steve said 3 GHZ in a year (more less)

Those were magical and powerful words. I agree with elD that they [the words] were probably a mistake in many ways. I'd own a G5 had he not said them.

Nonetheless, I'm resigned to the fact that we are NOT going to see anything near 3 GHZ at WWDC. 2.5 GHZ tops. But that's OK, I'll grab me one of those when it's announced in a couple of months.

I'm a hold out, but not necessarily just because of 3GHz, just timing. I wanted it, but it wasn't going to ship when I was ready to buy, then I decided to wait for revision 2. Then revision 2 never showed up, so I decided to wait for 3GHz. Now, granted, if they come up with something else impressive, I'll jump. If they did something with dual cores, that'd get me back looking again, but I think 3GHz will happen. It's not because I'm just a dreamer in this case, its a matter of Steve gets what Steve wants. There will be a 3GHz G5 and it will be announced at WWDC. Remember, the rev 1 G5 didn't ship until Sept/Oct? That's months later. The dual G5 XServe delayed for extra time. I mean, even if Jobs announces the 3GHz machine, with "lesser" models shipping sooner, in the long run, he still has 4-5 months from the announcement to produce a product, which really is an eternity in technology.

In Steve we trust. His visions have become our reality time and time again. No matter what universe you think he may come from with his predictions and ideas, he tends to still astonish us...this *could* be his biggest splash yet.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Are there people holding out for 3GHz for some reason (other than those that just really want a 3GHz machine to play with) that a sub-3GHz machine can't do?
no - that's probably a good enough reason!!! ;)

i completely agree with mindbend on this one... (plus it seems to me that every time i hold out for a new model - and then give in as i did on my 1.33 GHz PB after a year of waiting - they bring out a newer one a few weeks later!)

i'm waiting on at least 3 GHz this time!

symphonix said:
What do you mean? I always thought Steve Jobs already is the biggest rock-star in the world. :-D
I hate to break it to you, but Steve doesn't actually read these boards. ;) :D

Am I the only person who thinks the iPod mini is the future of the iPod? I mean, come on, the mini is so damn sexy, it makes the regular iPod look like a whale (and an ugly one to boot). I think the mini is going to receive 10, 20, etc. GB hard drives and the white and silver iPods of today will find their place in the Mac museums of the world.

I'm with you Arden...

If they get the disk size up in the Mini, good bye iPod original. I think the people that don't understand that haven't actually gone out and held the mini and played around with it. Once you do, you'll understand.

I also agree with both of you but I dont think well see it at WWDC its too soon. Maybe at next years WWDC well see 20, 40 and 80gb "minis" and a ew 5Gb mini introduced!

Well, the harddrive in the current mini is absolutely bleeding-edge. I've heard of people actually taking it out and selling it for more than the mini is worth :eek:.

Can anyone clear up dual-cores vs dual-processors for me? :)

ElDiabloConCaca said:
I've been a skeptic for quite a while, so I don't think we're gonna get 3GHz, nor do I think Steve will apologize or even acknowledge that shortcoming at the upcoming WWDC.

Personally I'd like to see ANYthing new, and soon. Worst case, I'd like to see price drops on existing kit - Like I've argued before, $2999 for the Dual-2.0ghz G5 and $1299 for the 20" screen isn't nearly as competitive as it was 10 months ago... And Apple currently does not really have a mid-range system worth selling (eMacs are a bit high-priced for the low-end, but $1300 for a basic 1.25ghz G4 tower is ridiculous on the low end, and $1800 for a mid-range G5 is ridiculous as well...)

(eMacs are a bit high-priced for the low-end, but $1300 for a basic 1.25ghz G4 tower is ridiculous on the low end, and $1800 for a mid-range G5 is ridiculous as well...)
What does that mean?

dlloyd said:
What does that mean?

It means that, IMO, the base 1.25Ghz SP G4 available at the Apple Store is a "low-end" computer by today's standards.

$1299 for such a machine, without monitor, is ludicrous.

The base 1.6Ghz SP G5, again IMO, is a "mid-range" machine. $1800 for such a machine, again, is ridiculous. It's not even close to competitive.

Back in August Apple had a better story on the high-end - $2999 for the DP 2.0Ghz G5 was at least competitive. Time marches on, and 9 months later the price is the same while their competitors' prices have fallen quite a bit.

You'd be surprised. I think WWDC would be 100% the right place for iPod intros. Last year they released the iSight and *really* rallied all of us up with a free iSight for being Apple developers. Maybe they want to increase iPod development, in the realm of new 3rd party apps, add ins, and hardware goodies that plug in. Giving the developers one for free, the very group that may resist the iPod due to it not really being necessary for business, would improve your development and really excite everyone in there.

I remember last year vividly. "Oh, iSight looks cool"...."Hmmm, I guess I *might* consider it for that price, but do I really need it? Still is pretty cool"....."WHAT?! FREE?! That's the greatest camera I've ever seen!" ;)

Note how your willingness to use the camera and play around with it increases...which I'm sure increased many developer's randomly saying weeks later, to themselves, "this is cool, you know, I could write XYZ for this and make it really neat."

Make WWDC your trojan horse of further development. Also, slip me a free G5 laptop to beta test on my way out! ;) *wishes*

lol dlloyd

Well, I did:

TiBook is back with Apple...is that anything like going with G-d? lol

867MHz is at my girlfriend's, so she can use GarageBand and the keyboard I got her...and so she could ditch her Dell.

Server sold and is about to ship out.

Athlon 64, shocker, XP Pro completely died, so its a complete mess right now.

I didn't anticipate saying this, but I actually *may need* a new computer! ;)

Oh, which one of us wouldn't be tempted to sell the car and get a PowerBook G5!

Back