WWDC predictions!

Awwwww, now you're making me seriously jealous! :(

To get back on topic, I don't think there'll be an iPod mini update, seeing how Apple is still on backorders for the first revision.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
I want to believe we've got 3GHz coming, but I just don't see it and I hope I'm proven wrong. If we do hit 3GHz in the shipping models, then I'd tend to believe that the "IBM fabrication problems" were a big hoax meant to stir up confusion about whether or not we'd make it like Steve promised.

I would vote NO on the hoax angle because Apple and IBM are both traded publicly and there would be a huge lawsuit by stockholders for the money lost because of the bad press.

that will never go anywhere! who can honestly remember the "Vaio Pocket VGF-AP1" or even say it (with out geting embarased or flustered) to a sales assistant in a shop! ipod simple easy to understand catchy like all apple products imac emac ibook pwerbook...etc etc

I think a color screen with some sort of Aqua skin would be nice. No need for animations or such, nothing too fancy, just a second trojan horse. You take your meal ticket, put your OS's interface on it and get people hooked on the simplicity, look, feel and experience of Aqua.....

...People then look at the computer with Aqua, it doesn't feel foreign anymore, has native support for your iPod and is very sleek...they buy computer.

The iPod is supposed to generate Mac sales, right? Which is generated by iTMS sales, so lets add another layer to the pyramid.

I guess that 'trojan horse' just hasn't paid out, really. People have no problems (or not much, anyway) using iPods with Windows PCs nowadays. They still might dig Apple's style, but it doesn't directly make them buy Macs.

An Aqua-interface for the iPod would basically just make it more awkward to use. The current interface is a really, really good one.

A colour screen _without_ video capability doesn't make much sense. The black/white screen is better readable.

fryke: but what happens when your average iPod-owning Joe needs a new personal computer for at home? If he's impressed with his iPod, what's the probability he'll buy himself a Mac? :)

Its just another way of linking the Apple brand to the iPod. I think your missing my point. I'm not saying redesign the interface, I'm saying skin it with Aqua. This could be v1 of the color, which leads to a video iPod eventually, though, I think the ideas a wasted one. Where are you getting these videos from? I'd think the Quicktime Video Store is a long way away simply in the statement Jobs made about instant gratification. Remember, a lot of the world is still on dial up, do you really want to download an entire video on dial up in full quality. Also, consider burning, not everyone has a DVD-R and I think execs, while may be willing to allow some extra burns on iTMS, but they probably won't like people being able to burn a DVD 10 times.

I really think the video iPod is a waste right now, but a color screen with the same interface skinned to Aqua, like a T616 Sony Ericsson phone, would be cool and get some extra purchases, because then they could include picture viewing for the card reader feature.

Anyone happen to notice that you can now watch movie trailers in iTunes? That should say something about what to expect in the near future, I would guess....

yeah, but still, what market is there to watch movie trailers on an iPod?

Remember, DVD's have security on them to prevent ripping. Yes, I know its being circumvented, but not nearly as widespread as music and not nearly as easy to download and burn.

The fact that 'many people' are on dial-up is no issue. The question is how many people are on broadband. And that number is large in many countries and is certainly evolving. It's Steve's _other_ argument that counts. He says that while people listen to songs again and again, they watch movies once, twice but not more often. That's why rental systems and subscription services would make sense here - and Steve doesn't seem to be a fan of those. I personally am a movie fan. I LOVE to own DVDs. And I often watch movies/TV series on the way. (I record TV series with my DVD-video-recorder and then rip them on my PowerBook. 25 minute shows usually don't take that long to rip.)

I think Apple _would_ be in the position to make video on portable devices work. And I know for sure that they _do_ (or did) have a team work on the QuickTime Portable Player, which eventually led to the videoPod rumours. Whether they _will_ take the chance and bring something like it to market is a completely different story. (And I don't see it happening right now.)

See, for me, half the movie is in the quality of the video and sound. You really can't recreate that with any justice on an iPod, or videoPod, if you will. Heck, I don't even really like watching movies on my laptop because of that reason. I don't mind it on a trip, or if the situation dictates that I must watch on a portable.

Now, if this was a small device that let you keep multiple DVD's on it with RCA, Optical, Component, and S-Video outputs, then you may be on to something. Still, though, would you rather take up all your computer disk space and vPod space with DVDs that you could just purchase in the store without having to download and burn, or upload?

Go3iverson said:
yeah, but still, what market is there to watch movie trailers on an iPod?

Remember, DVD's have security on them to prevent ripping. Yes, I know its being circumvented, but not nearly as widespread as music and not nearly as easy to download and burn.

My point was that the capability to watch movies has already been integrated into the iTunes Music Store. Soon, it will be the iTunes Media Store or maybe the Apple Media Store. Either way, the integration is already technology is already there. They need to set up the infrastructure, but soon what you'll see is the iPod being the portable drive containing all your entertainment media. You'll bring the "iPod 2" (or some iMedia device) to a TV or terminal, plug it in, and play your favorite movies. Why are songs the only thing people want to have portable in large volumes.

I see what your all saying and it makes sense. It's the evolution of the idea and continuing to bring more sources together on a single platform, but still, why?

Pretty much, your giving every person out there in the world a new found chance to pirate movies by downloading them. Yes, I know, even the DVD security isn't fool proof, but in this case, your eliminating the need for the DVD drive or the need to even compress it properly so that you don't loose sound, your giving people a full motion picture, with DRM, and saying have at it. In theory, if it works like iTMS, could I just burn the DVD once and then rip it again? I'm assuming iTunes would then have some sort of DVD ripping capabilities, so you can add the movies you already have to your playlist, right? Or would you require that every movie you want be purchased over the internet, making people choose between digital and DVD formats?

I'm not trying to nitpick, so please don't take this as a flame, I'm just trying to better explain my point of view on it! :)

Back