10.1 New and Hidden Features

slur

Geek / Hedonist
Here's a nifty thread where you can post 10.1 features you've discovered that are pretty well-hidden, but are too useful to be Easter Eggs....

1. Control-click on a running app in the Dock. Press OPTION and notice that Quit becomes Force Quit.

2. In List and Icon view you can draw a box around items to select them. In Column view you don't see the box, but you can click in the white area to the right of a file/folder's name and then drag to make a multiple selection.

3. The options to show and hide the nifty menu bar icons are nicely hidden in their respective preference panels. Displays and Sound are two places you'll find them. Date & Time lets you turn the clock into an icon too. Combined with the freeware "FuzzyClock" this makes a really nice looking clock. Hold down the command-key to drag the icons around or right out with a poof...

4. You can click anywhere in the menu bar - even a blank spot - to start those icon-menus popping as you move the mouse over them. The same is not true for application menus.

5. In the Keyboard preferences panel there is an option to use the keyboard to control the Menus and the Dock. Control-F1 turns this feature on and off, control-F2 moves the focus to the menu bar, and control-F3 moves the focus to the Dock. In both places pressing Return is like clicking on an item while Escape cancels. And, yes, option-return hides the frontmost application as it launches the selected one.

6. In the same control panel you can enable tabbing between text-fields and controls, or just text-fields. MacOS X is becoming more Windows-like by the minute!

7. Command-shift-3 and Command-shift-4 are back for taking screenshots! They make .tiff files on the desktop. Unlike Classic MacOS you can't take snapshots of windows and menus with the caps-lock key or put it in the clipboard with the control key. 10.1.1?

8. The Finder can now "copy and paste" whole files and folders, just like Windows 95. It's not really hidden, but it's easy to overlook. You'll find it in the Edit menu and at the bottom of the contextual menu that appears when you control-click on a file or folder.

9. Show Clipboard is back in the Finder. (Was it ever gone?)

10. There's an option to use the numeric keypad to control the mouse pointer. I leave it up to you to discover the location of this wondrous feature.

11. Not strictly a MacOS X feature, but in the new version of Terminal there's a preference to use option-click to move the cursor around in any interactive editor like pico, vi, emacs, or joe, with varying success. It should at least work in any Terminal-based text editor that allows you to use the arrow keys to move the cursor.

... Don't expect to find any *real* Easter Eggs in MacOS X. From what I understand Easter Eggs are now a firable offense at Apple.... Or worse, you might get berated by Steve, a fate worse than death!

PLEASE!!! TELL ME HOW TO CONTROL THE MOUSE WITH THE KEYBOARD!! plus if u find any eastereggs in osx please let me know. Also, will darwin run on a pc?

ace

TheMacACE, I think SLUR wanted people to know that most of these new features are pretty easy to find, but for you, it's in system settings, under Universal Access, only since 10.1:cool:

Wow! That's so cool!

FYI, option-click in terminal is in 10.0.4, I just tried it out - really cool in emacs, good for a laugh in links (a text web browser like lynx) - totally random menu opens every time you click in the menu bar...

option-key gets-you-force-quit is there too, as is show clipboard.

Tabbing onto buttons is really exciting - along with file copy and paste, and keyboard menu control, Apple is stealing M$'s (few) good ideas, finally.

I guess I failed to find those features in 10.0.x because I was so anxious to avoid the Finder and the Dock, and I was mesmerized by the Spinning Rainbow of Death.

If you open About This Mac and click where it says "Version 10.1", it toggles between that text, the build number and serial number. Probably already knew that, huh?

Originally posted by themacko
nope, that's new in 10.1 .. I think they're trying to offer more support for servers.
or just workstations. if you've got a couple ide drives in there, you can mirror/stripe for performance and redundancy reasons. Unfortuntately, they're still ide drives and will take your cpu..

There are some easter eggs in 10.1. But Apple won't tell us what they are. :( Oh well...let's all go on an egg hunt!!! :)

How do you get tabbing between buttons to work? i enabled keyboard access (ctrl-f1) and when you press tab there is as little gray outline around a button that moves around when you press tab to the next button but when you press return it still only chooses the one that is default (like Save in a "do you want to save?" dialog). What am I doing wrong?

wyvern: I do beleive that you cannot use tab in any OS X dialogs. You can do it in your browser though! :)

I was replying to this:

>>>Tabbing onto buttons is really exciting - along with file copy and paste, and keyboard menu control, Apple is stealing M$'s (few) good ideas, finally.

Yep, wyvern, Return or Enter still activate the "default button" and there's a good reason for this: In Cocoa the way to make a button into the default button is that you assign the Return / Enter key to it!

However, for controls that need to be pressed you can use the space bar to press them. Menus and slider controls can be controlled with arrow keys.

Not mentioned so far is the ability to use other keys change the focus, such as control-m for menus, control-d for the Dock, and control-t for the current window's toolbar (i.e., in the Finder or System Preferences panels). You can also customize them to whatever you want. Be aware that when editing text some control-key combinations will be unavailable.

You can finally use Apple Shift 3 to take pictures of the screen again! I hated Grab... Apple Shift 4 works too! Yay yay yay! I miss "Wheee" though...

I can't get the option-click behavior in Terminal to work. I selected the preference, but option-click has no effect. I tried vi, pico, emacs, and the command line.

Back