10.1 New and Hidden Features

Originally posted by Trip

a.k.a. the build number. :)

When I click the version 10.1 in the about box, It switches between three things: "version 10.1", Build 5G64 and "serial Number PT9465YXXXX" I replaced the last 4 digits with X's, just in case there is some problem with posting it that I don't know about. So no, the serial number is NOT the build number.

It's the serial number of the physical computer. On all my machines the displayed serial number is the serial number on the sticker on the case of the computer. It really is, yes, as sure as the day is long.

Originally posted by slur
It's the serial number of the physical computer. On all my machines the displayed serial number is the serial number on the sticker on the case of the computer. It really is, yes, as sure as the day is long.

exactly. My guess is that it makes it easier for Apple tech support to get the serial number of your Mac from you, to check for warranty and for problem tracking, etc.

Make that CD trayS for those who have an external CD-RW :) It works on either SCSI or USB ;-) Anybody know if there's a different button for opening the USB or Internal CD only?

Greetz,
.anerki

Yes, with 10.1 you can finally paste icons onto hard drive volumes and shared volumes - woohoo! I would've posted this a lot earlier, but it didn't seem to work when I first tried it. Sure enough, I just gave it another shot and it works beautifully. Now go get some icons and start pasting!

MacNN X-Icons

Originally posted by macavenger

When I click the version 10.1 in the about box, It switches between three things: "version 10.1", Build 5G64 and "serial Number PT9465YXXXX" I replaced the last 4 digits with X's, just in case there is some problem with posting it that I don't know about. So no, the serial number is NOT the build number.
Yeah, so mine does not do this. Maybe it only does it on some hardware?

Does anyone know if there's a way to change the keys that do the app switching in the dock? I use Illustrator a lot, and Cmd-tab changes the selector mode. In OS 9.x you could change the app-switching shortcut (or at least turn it off). Is this possible in 10.1?

Thanks,
John

Did you know if you press F12 it'll open the CD drive?
Even if a CD is in there!
(I have a 1st edition imac.I hate the button, I wish I had slot loading...)

Not really hidden but easy to overlook.
Select an open folder in the finder. Select Show View Options (cmnd-J) under the View menu. At the bottom of the panel there is an option for choosing a background picture for this folder (like desktop pictures). Aside from having simple photographs I've found this useful for categorizing icons. Make a simple graphic in GraphicConverter (or other app) by painting solid colors in some appropriate pattern. Save this and use it as the folder picture. Now drag the icons to their appropriate colored regions. I use it to segregate aliases for apps and documents. You could also add text, arrows, monthly calendars, etc.

No more boring white backgrounds in windows.

Guys windows never made up anything except blue screen of death, those two features u mentions im sure I was using when I had a neXT box at work.
Maybe it was more publicised because neXT didn't get far.Now u know.:eek:

Also, after using Apple-Tab to switch between apps, keep holding Apple and press shift. It cycles through apps the opposite direction. Very cool.

Just discovered a cool thing in Mail. Select a bit of text in an email that you want to reply to, and it'll automatically be quoted in your reply! I thought that was pretty neat...

An aside: does anyone know how to make Mail download your mac.com email instead of leaving it on the server? I have a primary account at my ISP, and it has an option in Preferences to delete messages from server after downloading. No such option in the prefs for an iTools email account...

??

Back