10.3 Panther Screenshot (For Real!!)

Everyone really disses the brushed metal look, and says it really is annoying. I don't see how anyone can say that aqua or the brushed metal look is ugly. If you complain about it that much, just hold down "Command-S" at startup to boot into single user mode and you don't have to look at it. Granted you probably can't do much and there's no GUI but, maybe you'll stop putting down the look of the computer. This is the way Apple is going...get used to it. If you use the computer and stop analyzing every detail on the screen, you wouldn't have to complain.

By the way...I think the whole GUI is unbelievable. Look at other 'nix GUI's. You're telling me KDE and GNOME are better?

iMacLover i won't be to blunt since you are from ohio "joking", but the whole interactive experience with a computer is through that very GUI. Stack a few of those windows over each other and see what a mess it makes. A app alone is fine, except iCrap, i just hate that app with a passion. You have your opinion, fine, thats you and them, I have mine and others agree to some of my views on this, nothing more than that. No need to draw a line in the sand, back and forth ranting is pointless.

And I agree on the poor taste of some users, but if we restrict a system because of what others do it, therer would be a lot of other features restricted.

Everyone really disses the brushed metal look, and says it really is annoying.
> This place is a forum, get used to opinions you don't agree with.

I don't see how anyone can say that aqua or the brushed metal look is ugly.
> Well, simple: you see, I think brushed metal is ugly. Done. Any more examples you'd like ?

If you complain about it that much, just hold down "Command-S" at startup to boot into single user mode and you don't have to look at it.
> In this case, KDE is nicer than this, to quote the bottom of your post. And what's that stupid comparison you're making ?

Granted you probably can't do much and there's no GUI but, maybe you'll stop putting down the look of the computer. This is the way Apple is going...get used to it.
> The userbase has the right to like or dislike a product, or part of it. We're not all slaves to Apple. Remember 1984 isn't supposed to be like 1984.

If you use the computer and stop analyzing every detail on the screen, you wouldn't have to complain.
> GUI is what your eye can't avoid on a computer. you want me to work eyes closed ?

By the way...I think the whole GUI is unbelievable.
> I don't. Or rather I do, in th way ksv said...

Look at other 'nix GUI's. You're telling me KDE and GNOME are better?
> No. RThat's not a reason for making the Finder brushed. I really hope there'll be a demetallifizer somewhere in the system.

Don't take it too seriously, iMacLover. I knew love could blind someone, but not *that* much. Kidding. :D

Originally posted by iMacLover
Everyone really disses the brushed metal look, and says it really is annoying. I don't see how anyone can say that aqua or the brushed metal look is ugly. If you complain about it that much, just hold down "Command-S" at startup to boot into single user mode and you don't have to look at it. Granted you probably can't do much and there's no GUI but, maybe you'll stop putting down the look of the computer. This is the way Apple is going...get used to it. If you use the computer and stop analyzing every detail on the screen, you wouldn't have to complain.

By the way...I think the whole GUI is unbelievable. Look at other 'nix GUI's. You're telling me KDE and GNOME are better?

Apple wants our feedback. Why do you think they have feedback pages and bug report systems built into their applications?

I suppose you just take everything that happens and don't make your views heard?

I love OSX, but don't like the metal look. Don't like it? Well, that's your opinion just as I have my opinion.

Metal looks ok, like I've said before, in iTunes and I don't mind it in iChat. But, others might hate it even more than me. IMO, the Finder is no place for the metal look.

I hate people who have the nerve to say "don't like it, go use a PC" or some other lame comment like that.

I like the metal on the title bars. From the pictures it looks more subtle than the current brushed metal. The full brushed metal frame around the finder windows is too much!! If it is just on the title bars thats fine. but I can't come at the frame right around finder windows. Too much clutter.

I don't know guys! The more I look at those "real" Panther pics the more they seem fake to me... Or at least they seem to be of a VERY old Panther preview... :p

WTF? Finder windows = Windows Explorer+Safari? That cannot be right! :mad:

Or some of those pics are real and some other are just... Well, let's just say they are NOT from Panther! :rolleyes:

Oh, well, one more day! :D ;)

:)

Im not too sure what to think...I dont mind the metal look, but i can see myself getting annoyed with it. Oh, and if these pics arn't real, why would Apple legal be on people's tails telling them to take them down? (Im not trying to start an argument, its just out of curiosity):D

Originally posted by Stridder44
Oh, and if these pics arn't real, why would Apple legal be on people's tails telling them to take them down? (Im not trying to start an argument, its just a simple question)

If they are fake, they are violating Apple's copyright and software usage license agreements. But what hurts Apple the most, is the fact that 99% of the Mac community obviously think they're real, which isn't much fun for Apple if 10.3 doesn't really have the features claimed in the screenshots ;)

by the way, did Apple buy the rights for the appearance of the above of windows? It's almost exactly the same as the "milk" theme that was available like 3 months ago:confused:

Originally posted by ksv
Allright, mirrored them at http://home.no.net/macosx/103 ;)

They look rather fake to me, though. What's up with that "The Macintosh Desktop Experience" thing?
-Finder is not a desktop. Finder consists of several interface elements, the desktop is one of them.
-That sentence is very un-apple.
-The layout of that box just isn't right. The "Finder" text doesn't make up for the size of the Mac logo above it. The Mac/Finder logo is actually the 128 pixel Finder icon, Apple would know better than that. The text lines aren't properly aligned. "Finder version 10.3" is a strange string, there's nothing like it in any other Apple applications as I know.
-The Finder box of 10.2 doesn't specifically tell what version of Finder it is, only the system version in 10.x format. If you go find Finder in /System/Library/CoreServices/ and hit command+i on it, you'll see it's 10.2.1, although the About Finder box says 10.2.
-The box seems to be a mix of the About this Mac and the About Finder windows.

In general, these shots look like a themed 10.2 with lots of Photoshop afterwork
:confused:
And yes, I am an Apple beta tester.

just a thought.. if they spent so much time tryin to make a fake panther:
-why would they make such a mistake and change the about finder details, thus making it suspicious... could they be so dumb ?
-and why were the images pulled of the server after the request of apple ?

and well done if ur a beta tester. obviously u dont have a beta version of 10.3 (how did those guys get one?)

I used the Milk theme, so I'm happy if Panther has some of that look to it. And I actually like the brushed metal look with some apps, just not ever freakin' one.

Why the "About Finder" pic seems fake to me:
-The Jaguar one is smaller (as of 10.2.6)
-The Jaguar one has a smaller Finder icon
-The Jaguar one has a title which says "About The Finder" and not "About Finder"
-The Jaguar one has a minimize button enabled too
-The Jaguar one has the same icon as the icon in the Dock
-The Jaguar one hasn't catchy phrases like "The Macintosh Desktop Experience" which are more true about the whole OS X experience as an OS and not just because of the Finder alone
-The Jaguar one hasn't the Finder version
-The Jaguar one uses the same Font size across the words

Why the "Mail" pic seems fake to me:
-The Jaguar one has Trash into the Mailboxes Drawer
-The Jaguar one has Junk into the Mailboxes Drawer
-The Jaguar one where it says "Working Offline - x messages" uses perfect letter sizes and not small-big-small-big ones!
-The Jaguar one uses a different divider between the Preview and Messages List
-The Jaguar one uses a different Compose icon

Why the "System Preferences" pic seems fake to me:
-The Jaguar one has ColorSync
-The Jaguar one doesn't mess with Print Center or something
-The Jaguar one it has General and not Appearance
-The Jaguar one it has Screen Effects and not Screen Saver
-What about Security?
-What about the missing Login Items and My Account?

Why the "Exposé" pic seems fake to me:
-Everything about "Exposé" seems fake including the graphics used to that pic in order for the user to interact with "Exposé" options
-Also, in the "System Preferences" pic we get that "shadow" telling us that we have "Show All" enabled but while in "Exposé" we do not see it

Why the "iChat" pic seems fake to me:
-This time we get that "shadow" from sys prefs but its size is smaller than the previous one
-The Jaguar one has its toolbar icons more squared spaced against its other
-Also, this picture remind me more of XP Luna than OS X

Why the "Labels/Finder" pic seems fake to me:
-It looks more like Safari and Explorer from XP than OS X
-Up where the Back-Forward buttons are it reads ONLY Back
-The Back word is placed closer to the Forward button not even in the middle, between the two buttons
-The same with the word View
-The divider used in that pic to divide the mounts/drives looks suspicious
-The blue color used in Xdrive selection is too blue for a supposedly toned down Aqua!
-In Jaguar the "Status Bar" is below the Toolbar and not in the bottom of the window
-In the "Status Bar" it should read "1 of 32 items selected, 13.23 GB available"
-In the "Search Bar" it should read Xdrive and not home?
-The title bar seems to be disconnected from the rest of the window something that the brushed apps do not do... This is MORE obvious in the corners under the colored buttons

Why the "Folder/Menu" pic seems fake to me:
-We do not read the Help option
-It has Lines for dividers while in Jaguar we have just empty space for this
-The Move to Trash option is with the "Color Label:" and NOT by itself or like in Jaguar with the Open and Get Info?
-In this pic, the menu is transparent, all while in the Finder/Labels pic it isn't!

Why the "Folderact/Actions" pic seems fake to me:
-We do not read the Help option
-It has Lines for dividers while in Jaguar we have just empty space for this
-In this pic, the menu is somewhat transparent, all while in the Finder/Labels pic it isn't and in the Folder/Menu pic is MUCH MORE transparent

Why the "DVD Player" pic seems fake to me:
-That black colors are "out of the blue"
-Where are the 3 little dots telling us where to click in order to get those "hidden" extra options?

Why the "Activity Monitor" pic seems fake to me:
-In Jaguar we don't have Activity Monitor... We have Process Viewer instead
-The scroll bars do not seem correct (they are smaller than normal)
-Where is the triangle we have in Process Viewer above the right scrolling bar?
-What is with the blue highlight around the processes?
-All in all this thing looks something more like a combination of many Utilities of OS X with some new stuff added

Why the "Exposé in Action" pic seems fake to me:
-The Finder icon is different than any other Finder icon we have seen in OS X so far
-What is Exposé? And is THAT it's trick?
-Why all the screen is dark but the apps and dock are not?
-What is that horizontal line above the blurred app in the dock?
-Where is the Language/Keyboard icon? It should have at least one!
-The font used in the Top Menu looks TOO bold...

Why the "Labels2/Folder" pic seems fake to me:
-It has too much of blue around it while all the other pics seem to have the darker blue of Jaguar's official desktop image
-It doesn't have the red color of the red color we see in Pop Up menus where we select the color labels

After all said and done, all the above may turn to be nothing but another Hulkaros crap! For me if this will turn to be the real Panther, it will be a let down... I expect A LOT more from Apple than just another Aqua/Brushed/WinXP theme :( A lot more! :mad:

:D ;)

Ah, thank you hulkaros :cool:
I've felt pretty alone the last days with my realist attitude :p

I too will be disappointed if "this is it".
icon9.gif

LOL...real or not, it is fun thinking about what COULD BE and listening to all the theories out there.

I doubt Win users have this much fun ;)

Originally posted by hulkaros
After all said and done, all the above may turn to be nothing but another Hulkaros crap! For me if this will turn to be the real Panther, it will be a let down... I expect A LOT more from Apple than just another Aqua/Brushed/WinXP theme :( A lot more! :mad:

:D ;)

I have to agree with ya on that. But Im sure 10.3 will not only look different, but it will feel different as well (at least I hope). Im expecting a overall performance boost of the GUI or OS itself. Who knows what else will be under the hood...but I, too, am hoping for more than simply a few new colors and programs.

Let's vote ! Someone make a poll 'Real or not !' Or maybe we'll just know about it VERY soon :p
I think some of them are fakes. The folder with this 'redded' name (the smallest pic, ksv didn't mirrored it) is an insult to design.

Back