10.4 Features!

I'm still waiting for Apple's word processor ? Will it embed LaTex in TextEdit ?

I'd Like to see a better image browsing option in the finder. Unfortunatly the filmstrip option in XP is great. We have a database full of thousands of images that we go through everyday these images have text information on them that we may want to see in detail without entirely opening the file, though i do have to say that the Thumbnails are too big. Mabey "image browser scaling" would be cool where you can preview a jpg/txt/doc at a certian size on screen without opening the file first.

MacMuppet said:
I would like to see some kind of 'magnifying glass' type utility. I suspect video processing power isnt there yet, but wouldnt it be cool if by maybe holding down a couple of keys you could change the mouse into some kind of magnifier? I use maps and largeish high-res images a lot, and get a bit exasperated zooming in and out in preview (its quicker that Acrobat Reader, but not much) as and when I need to.
At first I thought this would be asking too much, especially if you were wanting to change the resolution within the 'lens' area, even on G5s you'd probably be a beachball expert every time you moved the mouse, but maybe its do-able. Hooray for Open-GL.
Is this significantly different than what the Universal Access preference pane does?
eric halfabee said:
I would like to see the reintroduction of the 'delve down' feature that was in OS 9 x, where you double clicked (holding the button down on the second click) on a folder and you could look into subsequent folders to find what your looking for blah blah and if you didn't find it move the cursor back to the desktop and all the folders would close again – if you know what I mean?
Yeah, aren't spring-loaded folders back in Panther?
How about a pop-up info box appears over a file folder when you hover over it when holding modifier keys to provide a quick look at properties, then it disappears again, but you still have the standard Get Info windows too.
Cmd-Option-I: the Mac OS X inspector. Takes a little getting used to, but it's basically what you're asking for.

eric halfabee said:
Rendezvous enabled Address Book.

remembr to save all the lovers in the separate group so that the wrong persons can't see all the wrong names ... ;)

How about iSync being able to sync more than the next two months of your calendar... how about that?

I'd really like to see a MUCH better optimized GCC, something nearly as efficient as IBM's compiler. In the end the terrible performance of GCC prevented me from being able to roll out a set of Dual-2.0ghz G5s with 20" Cinema displays and 17" Studio displays last November...

I'd also like to see some UI stuff that's more revolutionary, stuff that no one's even thought of yet. Signs are that Longhorn is going to leapfrog OS X's gradual upgrades in at least some areas, and I'd HATE to find out in 2006 that OS X is only "somewhat" better/different than it is today (i.e. the difference between 10.3 and 10.2. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Panther, but Longhorn is REALLY going to be putting the heat on. I want my OS to remain a generation ahead of Windows!)

no one has mentioned tru 64bit OS... how about that... panther only has some tweaks so that it can use 8gb of ram, now what if all that 64bit goodness of the g5 could really be unleashed with a tru 64bit os and apps.... ::alien::

Arden said:
Is this significantly different than what the Universal Access preference pane does?

Yea I love that! Command + Apple + Numpad '+' key or '-' is awesome, use it all the time... sometimes when i want to monitor a progress of something across the room, i'll just zoom in and I can see it easily! :)

Definitely something you need 2 try if you haven't - not sure if its enabled by default tho!

Hi Arden

Yeah I know spring loaded folders are back but they don't have that 'feature', you can hold a file/folder over another folder and it will drill down, but it wont drill down as ala OS 9 the way I described it (although my descriptions aren't that hot, I must admit).

Cmd-Option-I: the Mac OS X inspector. Takes a little getting used to, but it's basically what you're asking for.

True its good but what I was thinking was a temporary one like the post summary you get here at macosx.com when you hover over the subject.

Cheers

3Ghz is a possibility. But lets hope that with the speed comes a 64bit operating system. I think its time for Apple to really shine by taking the OS and making it crunch operations at the 64bit pace. Remember that while 3Ghz @ 32bit is great; 3Ghz @ 64bit crunching is that much better. Not to mention the if pro applications also become 64bit apps, the performance gains will be awsome.

the processor speeds dont have anythin to do with this thread.

talkin bout Tiger: one thing we can never stop askin for is SPEED; make Tiger run faster on all machines!!!

otherwise ...i dont have anythin in mind about Tiger... i just wanna see somethin as amazin as Expose and Fast user switching, revealed in 1 month.
What more can they come up with ? i Dont know... but with panther being a really stunning OS right now... its difficult 2 make a Tiger-worth-the-upgrade...
ill buy it allright.. and the 10.5 and 10.6.... but not every1 has the money.

they will either have to make Tiger really amazing...
OR.. they could introduce an UPDATE FEE... 'give in your panther box and bay €70 instead for a Tiger box'

soulseek, that wouldn't work very well. I'm sure plenty of people have copied their discs

Security and MetaData support rumors dont seem to die. It seems that Apple will beat Microsoft in support of a MetaData OS. Lets just hope that Apple does it right. I mean, when the feature is added they must implement full support at the OS level. We all know MetaData will help us search for data more efficiently, so lets raise the bar with this one Apple. Leave no door opened for Microsoft to improve on their MetaData development.
Now while security is good on OSX, we must remember that OSX has holes that have yet to be exploited. Keep in mind that MOST (but not all) hakers attack Microsoft. Apple's OSX core level security methods are solid. Lets work those methods as concrete as can be for the non core elements in the Mac OS.

Back