Well it looks like some people are confused at the size of the delta update. We;; after thinking and talking with friends I have come to a conclusion. If you did an original update to 10.5.0 from Tiger you were given the 'Combo' 10.5.2 (384 MB). If you did a fresh install Apple gave you just the Delta 10.5.2 update (184MB).

Either that or some of the many servers were just giving out the Combo update by mistake, or maybe it was by design in some countries. I just guessing.:rolleyes:

I'm in UK and saw the original post quoting the Combo as 343MB. I checked the Software update and was offered a 341MB update. So I installed the Combo!!

This install is on a new black MacBook that I've had for three weeks. It came with 10.5.0 installed, which I upgraded to 10.5.1 before I started using it. So this machine has never seen Tiger.

They yep was to the upgrade to Linotype 1.2.3 it fixed the problem. A few people on creativebits, apple, and linotype disscussion boards had the same exact thing running Linotype.

I stopped running FontExplorer and it worked fine Really amazing those developers at Linotype, not even a day and they fixed the problem.

The update has been great for me as my biggest problem is resolved. The update fixed an issue with gizmocall (the flash plugin used from a browser rather than the standalone application) which is flash based. The flash plugin couldn't see any input or output devices. Now it sees both the built in inputs and outputs as well as my USB phone.

The update's welcome. Finally a real menu-bar again without 3rd party tools or hack-desktop pictures.

The update's welcome. Finally a real menu-bar again without 3rd party tools or hack-desktop pictures.

I found that i had the same feelings once 10.5.0 came out. However once with 10.5.2 I now prefer the Translucent Menu Bar.

I guess it depends on what background picture I have. My desktop is a space picture (not the default one) so the Translucent is not bad at all. Then if I change it to a nature background (like the original 10.5 beta background) the Translucent would have to be turned off.

So I guess it really depends on one's background picture.

I don't think you're wrong about the menus, seeing as you noticed it on your own and Apple says there is a difference. I just wonder why I'm not getting it. I get the same result now after I installed the graphics update, too. *shrug*
It's a fair point, I don't know why there is the difference either. As you say, it could be related to the "Core" technologies. I've taken an old screenshot from 10.5.1 and matched it (more or less) with what I see under 10.5.2.

Attachments

• Before and after.jpg
    Before and after.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 28
Stacks still leaves me wanting. Yes, its great to have a list view, but I still have to do two clicks (not a double click) to get to where I want to. With Tiger you just held down the icon in the right side of the dock and scrolled.

seems buggier now.

screensavers are having problems. itunes artwork saver has been updated, but for some reason when it comes on as a screensaver (ie not 'test'), it stutters and changes to the 'computer name' screen saver for some reason. i've also had problems with the spectrum saver having trouble starting, the screen flashes between desktop and screensaver over and over again...

occasionally, i'll come to the computer and the left screen has changed its wallpaper back to the leopard aurora default, and if i attempt to change it to something different, it just changes back to aurora. only restart fixes this.

InDesign CS3 is unusable, with Open, Save As, Place and Export dialogues causing hard crashes of indesign. fine under 10.4, fine with InDesign CS1. this is more adobe though.

When using Wiretap Pro, syslogd starts a runaway process and eventually uses upto 180% CPU, causing the recordings to fail. force quitting works, but then spawns again to repeat an instant runaway process.

System Preferences now is fairly unstable, and i've had it crash a few times since 10.5.2.

bah.

It's a fair point, I don't know why there is the difference either. As you say, it could be related to the "Core" technologies. I've taken an old screenshot from 10.5.1 and matched it (more or less) with what I see under 10.5.2.

Ahhh, I think I see the difference now, looking at your screenshows. It looks like with your hardware, it's not only translucent, but it blurs what's behind it, too, which must use Core Image. I didn't know they used Core Image for that on supported hardware. I guess they do that for the menu bar, too, otherwise they would've made it translucent on all hardware.

Seems to me like Microsoft and Apple keep copying each other's worst ideas. :p

Lt Major Burns: Oh dear, it sounds like you're having quite a few problems since the update. I haven't noticed the same problems, so I tested a few of your examples.

For me, the iTunes Artwork and Spectrum screensavers have been fine. Desktop backgrounds also have remained as whatever I set them to be.

InDesign CS3 has been fine for me. Open, Save As, Place, and Export all work as expected, with no crashes. Have you applied all updates from Adobe?

The only thing I have noticed is that sometimes Adobe apps can misbehave when using them in conjunction with Spaces; I can return to an Adobe app to find palettes/toolbars missing and it can take some messing about to bring them back. It's an annoying bug, but it isn't show stopping.

On a related note, I've found Adobe Acrobat Professional 8.1.2 is now working fine under 10.5.2.

Ahhh, I think I see the difference now, looking at your screenshows. It looks like with your hardware, it's not only translucent, but it blurs what's behind it, too, which must use Core Image. I didn't know they used Core Image for that on supported hardware. I guess they do that for the menu bar, too, otherwise they would've made it translucent on all hardware.
Yes, the image behind the menu bar is blurred, as is anything behind a menu under 10.5.1. I did think the menu bar did not look the same on all hardware, but had not heard anything to confirm this, so I didn't think much more of it. I felt the transparent menus, complete with blurring effect, under 10.5.1 looked a little bit more elegant than the current ones, but I guess it is a matter of opinion!

Seems to me like Microsoft and Apple keep copying each other's worst ideas. :p
Awww, I actually quite liked the menus under 10.5.1, actually! :)

What I'd prefer is that Apple lets users sets level of transparency (for the menu bar and the menus) via a slider, rather than making it on/off for the menu bar and not giving the user any choice over the menus. I suppose the counter-argument could be that it starts to make all the settings within the OS more cumbersome to some.

indesign problem sorted. it was a known problem when version cue autoupdater gt corrupted. a simple apple script fixed the corruption and it's all dandy now.

itunes screen saver still bloody annoying. seeing if there's any fix for it yet...

*smirk*

Fair enough! :p ;)

Actually: No, certainly not "fair enough". ;) Because, well: Apple had it right with Rhapsody's detail of adjustability regarding the interface. But when Steve Jobs saw how people chose veeeeeeeeeeeery strange colour schemes, he probably freaked and went with the whole "the user doesn't have to care" thing.

The way Apple has treated the interface regarding user-changes, I'd say we have to be *VERY* grateful about this one control. It's there, it works, don't complain, or it'll go away in 10.5.3. ;)

I, for one, am satisfied with the number and level of interface adjustments Apple lets us have. Apple is poised in a position where they're gaining marketshare very rapidly, and a lot of those users are either new to Apple or new to computers in general. Vast amounts of options, for someone who doesn't know too much about computers, could scare them off -- how are they to know that the option to change their DNS servers could potentially render their internet connection kaput, versus a simple option like menu transparency that doesn't affect the underpinnings of the computer at all? The less options there are, the more rapidly people become familiarized with the operating system. It's like trying to remember a series of numbers. 1, 7, 9 = easy. 1, 6, 5.4, 1001, 546, pi, 7 4/9 = hard.

Try throwing a windowing system like KDE at a new computer user, and see exactly how much they WANT to use that computer. Even GNOME's window manager has some strange options placed in strange places. I, for one, am extremely pleased with Apple's stance of only including the options that are really relevant to making the computing experience enjoyful.

You can always tweak the interface, if you're a power-user, via the command line, or via 3rd-party software... for example, for control over the shape/alpha/positioning of the menubar, try this:

http://homepage.mac.com/mdsw/md softworks.html

I do realize that people are extremely picky and particular about how they want their desktops and GUIs to look. But I take the stance that these tweaks and modifications should remain out-of-the-way and should not be included in the appearance System Preference pane, simply because too many options would scare off too many people.

Besides, really and honestly, does the menubar translucency or opacity REALLY make you work any faster or slower? Back in Tiger and Panther, did the fact that you couldn't adjust the grid spacing on the desktop make it a deal-beaker for trying to get any work done? Are people so inflexible that the switch from folder-style menus to Stacks in the dock made it extremely difficult to adjust? I can't shake this image in my head of someone coming home from work and parking their car rear-first in the driveway... then waking up the next morning to find their car facing the opposite direction in the driveway, and them standing there... scratching their head... not knowing what to do next... being so perplexed by and affixed on a simple change that they're unable to proceed with simply getting in the car, BACKING out, and heading off to work.

Apple didn't design their interface for you... nor you... nor you either. They designed it, as did Microsoft, as did the GNOME team, as did the KDE team, for the majority of users they thought would be using the system. If we all got our wishes and saw our feature-requests and interface-tweaks implemented, Mac OS X would be one, big, steamy pile of you-know-what. I know we all think that what we each individually want is the one, big, important feature that Apple's just missing out on and refuses to implement, but it's simply not true. You can work around it, or without it, and it doesn't affect your productivity as much as a lot of people like to think it does.

Last edited:
Back