10.5.5 released

bbloke

Registered
Apple has released OS X 10.5.5. The Combo Update weighs in at 601 MB.

I'd be interested to know if any of the "extensive graphics enhancements" relate specifically to issues with NVIDIA cards in the MacBook Pro range...

As far as I know, the Nvidia problem is a hardware-related problem, and not fixable by a software update... that is, if, in fact, the MacBook Pro Nvidia problem is the same global Nvidia problem that Nvidia is being sued over.

As far as I know, the Nvidia problem is a hardware-related problem, and not fixable by a software update... that is, if, in fact, the MacBook Pro Nvidia problem is the same global Nvidia problem that Nvidia is being sued over.
Yes, I would agree. My thoughts were about whether or not Apple might try to modify the fan usage as Dell had, although it does not actually solve the problem.

If only one could download hardware updates as well...... :)

The update has gone fine on all the machines I'm currently managing (about 10). Seems Apple's doing something right. :)

Yep, same here... although I did download the Combo update, as I've done with all the other Leopard system updates.

Just a note, though, that I have used the Delta updates in the past without issue -- I just download the combo updates and store the most recent one for easily and quickly bringing a new install up-to-date.

The update has gone fine on all the machines I'm currently managing (about 10). Seems Apple's doing something right. :)

Well guys, I installed the new update and now my screen is screwed up. Instead of the nice Leopard background, it's turned into a fine herringbone pattern although my desktop icons display correctly. When I move them around, the underlying "real" leopard screen appears (like I can erase the pattern). Was on phone with Apple for an hour. They had me try all sorts of stuff, finally archive and reinstall to 10.5.2. Everything was fine until I tried the update to 10.5.5 again (per instructions)... screen freaking out now again. Of course, they're closed for the night and I'll have to let them know in the morning. "Extensive video enhancements"? hmmmmmmmm. P.S. didn't reinstall iTunes 8 or Front Row this time either, so I know it's not that! Anyone else run into this?

10.5.5 seems to have broken MPlayer, or at least its ASS subtitle support. Whenever I try to play a movie with the -ass switch set, MPlayer freezes before even opening a window. If I disable ASS support, it still works.

This is an MPlayer I compiled myself from svn (and I tried an svn update, to no effect), but it also seems to affect MPlayer OSX Extended.

No solution yet. FWIW, I updated using Software Update. I usually use the combo updater, but this time I thought "what the heck". No idea if that's related. Maybe I'll try applying the combo updater over it. I seem to remember reports of that fixing non-combo-updater problems in the past.

Yes, but usually not such one-application related problems... Of course I've used the combo updater on all the machines as well. (Download once, apply to many and all that jazz...)

Back