10.5 First impressions - post yours

I have been using a Mac for about 4 years now, using 10.3.9 happily for the last couple. Everything worked fine, nothing crashed and everything happened when you asked it to.

I stupidly bought Leopard and have now wasted about a day trying to get everything working.

Filemaker didn't work so had to wait for them to release a patch.

Appleworks 6 does work at all, MYOB crashes when you try and print from various sections and finally Photoshop Elements also doesn't work anymore.

I bought a Mac to escape this sort of instability!! I know Microsoft own a lot of Apple but their ethos is evidently filtering through - i.e. make your customers pay for your rubbish software and just before they release a new version we'll give them something that works to try and make them forget how bad it really was to begin with!!!!

i went through the exact same hatred, when i upgraded from 10.3.9 to 10.4.0.

Panther is just about the most stable OS in the world. it's also stable because it's 10.3.9. it had 9 revisions to get it to be that stable.

10.5.0 is new, there's a lot of very new technology in there, and being on the bleeding edge of technology sometimes means getting hurt.

the problems you are having, i'm guessing, can all be attributed to to third party incompatiblities. Apple have done a very good job removing a lot of these, but there will always be fallacies that only the developer of the incompatible program can fix with a '10.5 patch'.

Panther, when that first came out, was terrible. but by 10.3.3, was fine. same with Tiger. 10.5 is actually a lot better at the same timeframe.

Installed Leopard last night, chose the "upgrade" option despite everything I've read. So far everything is working flawlessly, and it seems much faster on my late 2006 iMac w/ 2 gigs of ram. I love it!

I am very pleased. There were some app incompatibilities, but most have been resolved quickly. I have been a hard fast PC guy for a long time. The upgrade to vista is what pushed me to get a MAC. I have never been through such hell before!!! I will never go back to a windows PC. This upgrade was one of the most painless ever as far as a PC guy is concerned.

.....the problems you are having, i'm guessing, can all be attributed to to third party incompatiblities. Apple have done a very good job removing a lot of these, but there will always be fallacies that only the developer of the incompatible program can fix with a '10.5 patch'.
I can bear that out. Intego's has produced an update for ContentBarrier, so it is presumably Leopard savvy. It isn't. Three Kernal Panics in 24 hours. My investigation revealed ContentBarrier to be the guilty partner.

Lesson? Maybe don't install 3rd party apps until 10.5.1?

I can bear that out. Intego's has produced an update for ContentBarrier, so it is presumably Leopard savvy. It isn't. Three Kernal Panics in 24 hours. My investigation revealed ContentBarrier to be the guilty partner.
Hmm, does it install kernel extensions?

Was wondering if anyone had advice for installing on my macbook this weekend, i.e. clean install, archive and install, or upgrade from 10.4.10? Anything particular to watch out for?

Andy

If you dont have the capability to backup your files, just doing the upgrade install from 10.4.10 (which I did) is going to be fine. One thing you might look out for is this....if your HD doesnt show up at first, just wait. It took a few minutes for the hard drive to show up when I went to install it.

YOU MAY WONDER WHY I AM WRITING IN UPPERCASE... ITS BECAUSE MY KEYBOARD IS NOW INVERTED. CAPS LIGHT-OFF = UPPERCASE, NOW CAPS=ON = lowercase. This state of chaos my Macs (3) have entered since Leopard is dismal.

Frankly, I strongly believe that Apple has not given 10.5.0 enough attention to make it what I call a robust OS. A strong supporter of Mac for years (since 1988). I have, today, for the first time, advised friends not to upgrade to Leopard. For myself, I will downgrade.

I am sad as I sincerely think Leopard will offer a lot, but its present state must be improved. One week of fighting is sufficient for me. I prefer to play and enjoy my mac.

See you when 10.5.1 arrives...

I am sad as I sincerely think Leopard will offer a lot, but its present state must be improved. One week of fighting is sufficient for me. I prefer to play and enjoy my mac. See you when 10.5.1 arrives...
This makes me wonder as to who tests the exclusive beta Leopard release?

Surely enough pre-designated testers can work out most of the teething problems so we don't have to rely on 10.5.1 for a robust enough system?

Or am I being naive?

I fully understand the pain of upgrading OSs (still use a Dell for much of my work). But, as much trouble as I've had with various Windoughs versions, the Leopard install was a breeze. However, there have been a couple of glitches that my little Powerbook never displayed under Tiger - of course, I was running 10.4.10 - it was rock solid and stable.

I'm looking forward to 10.5.2. Should be excellent by then.

Vista? I highly recommend it - to competitors and rivals.

Here are my experiences with Leopard (I just installed it yesterday).

Overall, my opinion of it is very high. However, there are some things that I do not like about it at all, and things that irked me during installation and set up. I'll write this article in a "pros" and "cons" format, starting with the "cons."

The Cons:
Installation Process: The general installation process is as you'd expect - nothing really new here. However, I actually had to manually mount my hard drives in the first step of installation via the Terminal (for those that don't know and might need to know, the command for your primary hard drive is "diskutil list disk0," followed by "diskutil mount disk0."). After that, I had to open up Disk Utility and wait for Disk Utility to recognize Macintosh HD. After that, I was able to select my drive, and everything went smoothly. I chose to erase the drive and install fresh because I had a lot of input managers that would break, and I didn't want to deal with cleaning them all out. Ultimately, the installer should have simply recognized the hard drives right off the bat; a quick search in the Apple discussion board reveals that this is in fact a common problem. I couldn't imagine myself trying to explain to my mother, for instance, how to mount a hard drive through the Terminal in order to install Leopard. That's pretty unacceptable.

Stacks:
Stacks are a great concept, but they need some work. I'm sure you've all heard the complains, so I'll keep it brief. They just need to allow you to choose whatever permanent icon you want for each stack, and allow it to browse through sub-folders. After that, stacks would be awesome.

Transparent Menu Bar & 3D Dock:
The menu bar really needs an on/off switch for the transparency. I mean, really; on 90% of my wallpapers, the transparency looks hideous. I got the menu bar to a nice gray to match the overall GUI by resizing all of my wallpapers to 1280x778 (to batch resize at specific dimensions, I used this app - hold down the Return key to get past the nags) and then running them through this workflow (alt host here). My native resolution is 1280x800; I put 778 because the menu bar is 22px high; the workflow adds a 22px high black or white border to the top of the image, making it 1280x800, and matching that border up nicely with the menu bar, making it a solid gray or white. I was able to do this for all of my wallpapers (approx. 550 of them) in roughly 20 minutes.

As for the Dock, there are solutions out there. Just do a quick Google search and I promise you that you'll find dozens of solutions to make it 2D, and even a few solutions to change the appearance of the 3D Dock; I made my Dock 3D, but with a black shiny surface. It looks really nice.
My Dock solution: Picture | Download & Instructions

Misc.:
The only thing left really is that the Finder treats my Windows partition in a strange manner. It categorizes it with CDs/DVDs/iPods, so unless I set Finder not to show these devices, it always shows my Windows partition on the desktop, and I have to eject it to get rid of it. That's pretty strange, as it should recognize it as a hard drive.

The Pros:
Safari:
Safari 3 flat-out rules, even if it's incompatible with a lot of input managers. It's blazing fast, zips through even Digg's comments pages (which are notoriously slow on all browsers), and has far better reliability & general site compatibility so far than Safari 2. And the new features are excellent, like prompting you when quitting with multiple windows/tabs/downloads open, or restoring the last session in the event of a crash, and reordering tabs.

Mail:
Finally I have RSS support in Mail. I also like the notes/to do features; I just wish it didn't break my HTTPmail plugin.

Spaces & Time Machine:
Spaces & Time Machine I feel are what really makes Leopard better than Tiger. I have no complaints about either one, and I can confidently say that I am not sad to see Carbon Copy Cloner & Virtue Desktops go in lieu of these apps.

QuickLook & CoverFlow:
File browsing has never been so fast or pretty. I'm really happy with these features.

So there you have it: my impressions of Leopard. Overall, I would say that it's definitely worth upgrading to, despite its quirks. Remember that there are workarounds for just about everything.

Axlin,

Many people have found that if you wait a while(5+ minutes) eventually the drive will show up and allow you to install. No one outside of Apple seems to know why yet but it should work if you give it time.

Axlin,

Many people have found that if you wait a while(5+ minutes) eventually the drive will show up and allow you to install. No one outside of Apple seems to know why yet but it should work if you give it time.

From what I've read, it is performing some sort of disk-check/maintenance.

Also, I'd like to note that Front Row now "just works" on previously unsupported machines.

Leopard has been really slow lately, and I have no idea whats wrong because I've hardly used it.

I seemed to have missed a lot of the complaints here. I have had very minimal problems using Leopard. I got my new iMac on Monday and it came with the Leopard install disc-no problems installing or transferring everything from my old Mac. First build was pretty disgusting (iMovie crashing at launch, dashboard funky etc.) but 20 minutes into my experience software update launched and nearly every program had an update. I downloaded and installed that and no I have 0 issues. Favorites: I love Webclip and Safari 3. No more Firefox for me! Spaces is solid and I use stacks seamlessly all the time now. Quick look will save countless minutes opening and closing programs and the new Finder is rock solid. Overall: very impressed, Leopard was worth the wait. Still disappointed at the new iMovie though.

I finnally reformatted again and it seems to be doing fine.
Edit: I noticed that when you do screen sharing the username is case sensitive and it won't work if its lowercase, but AFP isn't.

Back