10.5 First impressions - post yours

I am posting this for information.

The Leopard installation will check whether the iMac meets minimum requirements. However it has a bug. When it decides to refuse the install it either proposes a "restart" or an "ok" button. Pressing either button just re-boots the iMac and DOES NOT EJECT the Leopard install CD. Hence initiating a endless loop.

To eject the disk I found this solution.

1. Force switch of the iMac - pull the plug if you have to.

2. Swith the iMac on and BEFORE the bong sound press CMD ALT O F keys (yes all four at the same time).

3. Keep them pressed until some console like text appears on the screen

4. Enter "EJECT CD" and return. The CD should come out.

5. Enter "MAC-BOOT" and return. The iMac reboots.

I am posting this for information.

The Leopard installation will check whether the iMac meets minimum requirements. However it has a bug. When it decides to refuse the install it either proposes a "restart" or an "ok" button. Pressing either button just re-boots the iMac and DOES NOT EJECT the Leopard install CD. Hence initiating a endless loop.

To eject the disk I found this solution.

1. Force switch of the iMac - pull the plug if you have to.

2. Swith the iMac on and BEFORE the bong sound press CMD ALT O F keys (yes all four at the same time).

3. Keep them pressed until some console like text appears on the screen

4. Enter "EJECT CD" and return. The CD should come out.

5. Enter "MAC-BOOT" and return. The iMac reboots.

You can also simply hold down the "Option/Alt" key while restarting to view a graphical menu of boot volumes.

Stacks is disappointing.

Under pre-Leopard I could place my Home folder in the dock next to the trash can.

Holding down the Home folder icon allowed me to scroll up to any folder and then scroll left or right (depending on the size of the dock) directly to the file I wanted to open (let's say 'Mr Bean's Trip to the Dentist' movie).

With stacks, I have to: (i) click on the Home folder icon in the dock, (ii) click on the Movies folder, and (iii) click on the said movie.

Is this progress?

It's the dumbing down of the user. Just think about the pro user who now browses thousands of text files with CoverFlow! It's all great. I'm sure the new 3D dock also helps graphics designers. As a bad example or something. Plus the whole Sci-Fi theme of the background and the TimeMachine will probably lure *ALL* geeks to Mac OS X.

Instead of Stacks use something like LaunchBar.

I'm over stacks as well. They're useless for putting your Applications folder there. Now I just use Spotlight as an app launcher. I do use QuickLook quite a bit especially for ppt and doc files because office apps take forever to launch.

I still haven't used Leopard, but it sounds like Apple has not quite shaken the habit of taking features that would make awesome additions and turning them into poor replacements for things that were perfectly fine in the first place.

It seems like they're especially fond of doing this when it comes to the Dock.

I was psyched for stacks. It's a long overdue feature. But it never even occurred to me that Apple would use it as a replacement for folders in the Dock. That's just bizarre.

I wonder if there's a hidden feature to change that back to normal, like with the 3D dock appearance.

*sigh* Well, I'm sure some intrepid shareware/freeware developer will find some way to fill this void.

It's the dumbing down of the user. Just think about the pro user who now browses thousands of text files with CoverFlow! It's all great. I'm sure the new 3D dock also helps graphics designers. As a bad example or something. Plus the whole Sci-Fi theme of the background and the TimeMachine will probably lure *ALL* geeks to Mac OS X.

Instead of Stacks use something like LaunchBar.

As a graphic designer, I agree that their execution of the dock was half-assed. It's also relatively distracting, especially in that they mixed 2D icons with a 3D plane... that's just stupid.

I am writing because several of my purchased software do not work anymore. And not the cheapest .. Adobe creative suite.. amongst them.

Now I understand I do not have the latest versions, but the software I have is less than one year old. And as it is not cheap (that includes the upgrades) I am not inclined to go shopping to upgrade all my software just because I installed Leopard.

I would expect majors, that have worked long term with Apple, to ensure some free "Leopard upgrade".

After all the boxes do say "System requirements : MAC OSX 10.4.6 or later" which I believe matches Leopard specifications (10.5.0).

It is extreemely annoying that after an upgrade of the OSX you discover you may want to downgrade because key software you use does not work anymore. This hurts the software vendors and Apple.

It's a really bad thing with Adobe nowadays. They just stopped caring, it seems. Their thinking goes like this:

Adobe CS 2 cost much more than Leopard or Windows Vista. You'll upgrade to the next OS when your _graphics suite_ is ready, not the other way 'round.

CS3 works for me but I don't actually use it that much so I can't say that everything works. Photoshop launches and works for what I've used it for. You really need to check before installing an OS update that all your applications are going to work though, especially on a machine you make money with.

You really need to check before installing an OS update that all your applications are going to work though, especially on a machine you make money with.

Fully agree but where is the fun? Ok, next time I will not pre-order and I will wait for 10.6.1 "Kitten". If everyone does this, Apple will not cash in $500'000'000.- in one week-end but in a few months. I think everyone has to gain from free software upgrades that are ready with OS release.

Furthermore, look at the vendor web sites, no one really knows whether they will be compatible, adobes own response is a real mockery for a software designer at +800$ a suite. And success/failure of software operation is quite hazardous as some threads show.

And a last point for Adobe, I would rather downgrade my Mac to Tiger to run CS and use the upgrade money I do not give adobe towards a new iMac for family fun. Thats nearly 30% of the cash found.

I can pay, but I may not pay who is expecting to receive the cash.

Well, I don't listen to my own advice but I don't really mind having to work around things. I was running the developer betas and got sick of 2 partitions so I ran the beta full time. But I only use it for school, not making money.

I conclude your are more technical in nature. Tell me, is there a possibility that these malfunctions are linked to the, apparently, greatly revamped permissions part of the OS? (-> see Get Info)

If that were the case could rest (ugh 777) of the permission be a solution?

But somehow my unix skills have failed, in terminal as sudo I cannot pass this drammatic reset and I even tried - crazy I know - single user login (cmd-S startup).

I am writing because several of my purchased software do not work anymore. And not the cheapest .. Adobe creative suite.. amongst them.
I have got InDesign 2, Acrobat 5 and Go Live CS (i.e. GoLive 7) working on Leopard. Illustrator 10 just wouldn't install. Photoshop 7 did, but then kept crashing.

The thing is, I didn't expect anyone of them to work, so 3 out of 5 ain't bad.

I spoke with Adobe support and they didn't believe me.

CS3 working flawlessly this end.

oh, and did a clean install yesterday, and a side effect of it was my Airport problems disappeared. (my OSX partition was full so had to make it bigger, and live partition wasn't working. clean install time!)

Hate to upset you M. Burns, but I did do a clean install. I also used the case sensitive hard disk format. Was that what you used.. could be the cause, maybe?

Open to any scientific black magic to get back rolling.

Back