10.5 First impressions - post yours

You might be interested in running Mac OS 9 through SheepShaver, an emulator/virtualizer. It's not easy to set up (believe me, I've tried!), but there are some tutorials out there that might help. See http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2006/08/7352/

SheepShaver works on PPC Macs at near-native speed, and on Intel Macs through slower emulation. I'm not really sure how slow, since I've never used it.

Q1: How many (or what estimated percentage) of the 300 hyped new Leopard features won’t work on a G-3 thru G-5 PowerMac (non-Intel) machine?

None will work on a G3 as Leopard requires an 867 MHz G4 at the minimum. Some PhotoBooth effects require an Intel CPU. The G5 should be just fine for nearly everything. All the Core technologies are scalable and automatically work on the available GPUs and CPUs.

I can't think of anything that doesn't work. On a G5. If you have a G4, you need a graphics card that can handle Core Image.

You can find all the requirements here
http://www.apple.com/macosx/techspecs/

AFAIK it runs okay. I've heard from at least one person with a G4/800 iMac who thinks it's quite alright in fact. You have to trick the installer, though. Just booting from the 10.5 DVD won't do.

My recommendation is to peruse Apple's support discussions, because SO many people have had the 'blue screen of death' at the very end of installing. My recommendation is to do these two things:

1. Reboot into single-user mode (hold Cmd-S while booting machine)
2. Follow the directions OSX gives you when you get to the prompt (I think these were them - just type the two commands it tells you to):
fsck -fy /
/sbin/mount -uw /
3. Remove the following files:
rm -rf /Library/Preference Panes/Application Enhancer.prefpane
rm -rf /Library/Frameworks/Application Enhancer.framework
rm -rf /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Application Enhancer.bundle
rm -rf /Library/Preferences/com.unsanity.ape.plist
4. Exit, to continue booting normally
exit

and then when you're reinstalling because the boot doesn't always work, archive and install - trust me. Then all of my problems were solved. No more blue screen of death. Hope that helps!

We already have enough threads about these experiences, so this thread is not becoming another stickie, rather I'm merging it with another, already 3 page-long thread.

My first impressions are not good.

I installed Leopard on a PowerBook G4 (1 GB processor, 1 GB RAM) and got a lot of grief out of it.

- First I lost Admin privileges and had to restore them.

- Disk Utility takes FOREVER to repair disk permissions compared to 10.4

- Applications don't quit properly. They disappear from view, but they stay in an active mode in the dock, in the Force Quit window, when you Tab through applications, etc.. Force Quit doesn't do anything to them, done via the Dock or the Apple menu. They just stay there until I restart.

- I can't restart. The gear spins and spins until I finally shut the power off.

So far Leopard is a bust for me. I'm sorry I didn't wait for 10.5.1.

there's a niggling feeling in the back of my head that just seems to feel that leopard wasn't really designed with PPC macs in mind... it works, it works fine, but my dual G5, it felt like Tiger unlocked it's potential, where as leopard seems to have passed it over into feeling a bit obsolete.

also, i still think it's quite ugly. although tiger was inconsistent, i think overall, each application looked nicer.

I've been pretty happy with it on my iMac G5 and MacBook, I haven't had any problems, so I don't know why everybody else is.

Leopard works great for me. Generally, seems faster than Tiger.

WiFi signal is far stronger.

DVD burning seems to have been limited to 2x (maximum). However, my drive was spec'd as 8x (maximum). I haven't done any digging to solve this problem.

My computer is a G4 1.67GHz with 2Gb RAM.

Since I had already read that 10.5 wouldn't be supported on G4 less than 867 MHz, I decided to bite the bullet and get a new machine. I have one of the original Powerbook Titaniums. Since I'm writing this on that same machine, you can tell everything didn't go fine for me. Its really (at this point) just one issue: I do everything wireless so that I don't have ethernet cables laying around all over. I cannot log into my Linksys wcg200, I think because I can't enter the WEP password. The new machine had 10.4 loaded, and I did connect before I upgraded. No joy now.

I'm hoping they fix that soon. Looking for my problems in the Apple forums, I see there are a lot of problems with networking. I guess they need to fire some developers and QA people that they let it get so bad.

Once I can actually use the machine, I'll likely be happier.

On a PowerBook (1 GHz), Leopard is running well. It's at least as fast as Tiger, but some UI effects are less-than-snappy (but very usable).

I also installed it on a 800 MHz PowerMac (for Time Machine backups), and it has been running without a hitch. Installed via TDM.

Install of Leopard was fast and smooth.
Initial impressions are all good.
All hardware works without additional drivers/fuss. This includes SATA controller and SATA drives, PowerLogix processor, USB 2.0 PCI, Flashed ATI 9800 Pro, Logitech QCam Ultra, Logitech MX laser, external hard drives and printer/scanners.
Tested OS software, so far, everything works. iTunes imported without a hitch, Mail setup a breeze. Even Photobooth works, and iChat is much smoother than in Tiger.
From System setup to System Preferences, the flow and layout has been smooth, intuitive, and new features appear at each turn (or right click)!
I like the new Dock, and Cover Flow is way cool, and works smooth as silk!
I didn't expect such good overall results, and am really happy with the experience to now.:eek: (really, don't mean to rave, but)...,
Third party app's are yet to come, and though there may be some let downs, overall, this has been a great upgrade!::love::

G4 450 AGP, 2ghz PowerLogix, 2gb RAM
Raptor and Maxtor SATA, Seagate ATA, DVR-109
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, 23" ACD

Has anyone tried installing Leopard on a 800 MHz G4 and seeing whether it works or if there are performance issues?
Hi rhisiart, it seems MacFixit is carrying an article about this subject:

MacFixit said:
Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) requires Mac with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 processor running at 867MHz or faster, and will refuse to install on any systems running at a lower clock speed (even dual 800 MHz systems are excluded). However, there's an easy way to trick your lower-than-867 MHz Mac into running Leopard: install the operating system on an external FireWire hard drive using a computer that does meet the minimum clock speed requirements. You can then use that drive to boot a Mac running at less than 867 MHz (see the screenshot below for proof).

Better yet, you can hook a pre-867 MHz Mac up to a Mac that does meet official Leopard requirements and boot it in Target Disk Mode, then install Leopard directly. This should (we haven't yet tested this method) allow you to boot Leopard from the system's internal hard drive.

For more information on installing Leopard on a FireWire drive, see this article.

Obviously, performance for some features will be somewhat sluggish on older processors, but we've already received reports indicating normal operation.

I wish that in spaces, you could open a new safari window by clicking on the icon instead of right-clicking "open new window". And that iCal had us holidays. that's it so far.

dual screens haven't really been taken into account with a lot of the new features... time machine, if a window is on the secondary screen, has to slide accross into the main screen. all looks a bit awkward. spaces is hideous and clunky on dual screens, as although each space is the size of both screens, it only actually supports one screen to view it (ie, doesn't matter how many spaces you have, they'll all display on one screen, like 8 on one screen, not 4 on either side). dealbreaker, and i've stopped using it now. and the new mosaic screen saver only displays on one screen, no way round it...

considering exposé (and other exposé based stuff like dashboard) works completely accross two screens, treating it as one big screen (as it should), that time machine and spaces appears to ignore it seems strange.

my dissatisfaction with leopard is accelerating.

I am back on 10.4.10, Leopard destroyed my computer, killed my Key Chain, Made Photoshop CS3 useless, killed Safari and all my widgets, Disc Utility could not repair over 4) modified files????after numerous attempts(it told me the files were modified and that it could not repair them)
Everytime I restarted thye computer a new set of problems would appear, thank you Super Duper..I am back with Tiger until the HUGE compatibility issues are fixed..scary

Hi rhisiart, it seems MacFixit is carrying an article about this subject:

I did exactly that the day Leopard came out, it may work on G4's, but it won't work on g3's since at startup on my iBook G3 900mhz, it just spins and spins the little circular thing below the apple.

I installed 10.5 on my PowerBook G4, 1.5 GHz, 512 MB Ram. When it restarts on completion of the install, the desktop appears for about 5 seconds, then the dock and the icons disappear. I have tried disk repair, starting up from the install disk, nothing works. So far my experience with OS 10.5 has not been good.

Back