7b68

tsizKEIK

its all about HOUSE music
Who has it. i want new features NOW !!!

(damn i havent had time to install B59 .. damn Apple . ur so annoyin:))

Just think, this is a good sign that they're nearing completion and final preparation of Panther.

I should have 68 by Tuesday, hopefully.

This late in the development cycle I really don't think we'll be seeing any new features. From here on out it's mostly going to be a matter of getting all the bugs and kinks worked out.

Originally posted by arden
Just think, this is a good sign that they're nearing completion and final preparation of Panther.

How, exactly, does a new beta release signify closeness to completion?

I would tend to think the flow of beta releases slowing down or stopping would be a better indicator of Apple being close to a GM on Jaguar.

With all the new releases of beta builds, that would lead me to believe that they're still fixing bugs, adding features, or doing something else to the code.

Originally posted by ElDiabloConCaca
I would tend to think the flow of beta releases slowing down or stopping would be a better indicator of Apple being close to a GM on Jaguar.

Howdy,

Just for reference the beta cycle running faster does tend to be a sign of a wrap up. If you think about it adding features makes for a longer beta cycle since there is more to test afterword. If you are just doing bug fixes you can you can almost get by with doing the build and then running a set of regression tests.

Another thing to keep in mind is why they even have tagged beta builds. This serves as an internal schedualing structure and which needs to be of the same order of magnitude as the work being done. Adding features takes time so a weekly build schedual may make sence. Whereas if a bug can be fixed in an hour then after a week you would have too much stuff to test at a single go. So a new beta every couple of days may make sence. Now as a "developer" tracking betas in this latter phase you don't need to get evey one, if you are not being impacted by a bug which has been fixed then don't bother.

-Eric

In my testing, b53 was pretty stable. b59 introduced a lot of little quirks on my PBG4/1ghz. Not to mention it's much slower.

Hopefully they are winding down testing/debugging and we'll see a release date at the Expo tomorrow....

I'm still on 7B53... I'm not going to install every build that comes along; I just don't have time to get, burn, and install every single one. :p By the time I have one build on my machine, the next will be out...

In other words, I'm going to wait for the next release again. ;)

Well, my logic was that there's less to fix, so it's easier to make a build, find something minor, fix it, and release another build; plus, we're almost on top of the expected release date, so they should be wrapping it up anyway.

Nope, no Panther at the Expo, just the same things as WWDC.

No release date either ... "Before end of the year"

I'm running 68 it's really nice and fast. A lot faster than jaguar. The boot speed is better and everything runs smoothley. I havn't seen glitches yet

I probably won't waste time with downloading, since the next beta should come out in a matter of weeks. Perhaps Panther retail will come soon :)
isn't it due?

hmm im having finder crashes when i drag a desktop item from the desktop into a finder window....

First impression -

Flash MX wouldn't load up. It just kept automatically quitting after one bounce. Same with the 30 day trial of Flash MX 2004. However, after launching DW MX, Flash would start up fine. Strange.

Seems much more stable than b59, which I had a few quirky issues with (seemed slower than b53, and the menu items took a long time to load).

A nice touch (that was probably in previous builds but I just now noticed it)... in the ScreenSaver pref pane, you can search through your iPhoto albums... Very nice.

One thing I'm still not a fan of is either having the Finder with the sidebar using brushed metal, or in "Classic" mode with Aqua. This is wrong on so many different levels. As everybody already knows, I'm a fan of Path Finder, and will probably use that even with Panther is released. The quick journaled searching from the Panther Finder is quite nice though. Hopefully Steve @ Cocoatech will add that to Path Finder soon after Panther ships.

Brushed metal windows are Apple's solution to being able to drag a window around by its sides or bottom. Previously, you could only drag a window by its top. While I rather like the brushed metal, it seems to me that OS X should have a preference (like the red-yellow-green or grey buttons of Jaguar) to change between the two. The brushed metal appearance seems more in line with Apple's other apps, and brings the system together in a more cohesive fashion.

The desktop picture/iPhoto library link has been in Panther since 7B53 iirc. I'm still kickin' 7B59 as of now but am planning to install 7B68 tomorrow or on Friday, depending on the work I've got to do on my iBook. Wish I had a G5 to try it on. ;-) Can anybody confirm Jason's Finder desktop problems? Maybe it's just the Finder's prefs?

Back