Adobe photoshop cs3 crashes at start up

peps

Registered
Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000005

etc....

i cant seem to get my apps (especially Adobe) and its my work

help me please!!!!!

What operating system are you using (Snow Leopard, Leopard, Tiger etc)? What Mac are you using (specifications etc)?

Just installed Snow Leopard. Click on Photoshop one bounce and that's all she wrote. I did a re-install of CS3 and same result. I am on a laptop 2.33 GHz Core 2 duo with 3GB of memory on version 10.6.3. No clue what is going on. My version of Photoshop CS works fine. Any thoughts on where to start looking?

I believe those is a known issue with Snow Leopard and CS3 and Adobe doesn't support 3 anymore. Google "snow leopard cs3".

It bounces once and that’s it. I see nothing in activity monitor. Most of the stuff on line does not deal with this. Also, why would an even older version work and this one not?

It bounces once and that’s it. I see nothing in activity monitor. Most of the stuff on line does not deal with this. Also, why would an even older version work and this one not?

It's definitely not because Adobe or Apple is supporting an older version over a less older version. More than likely just a fluke that one functions and the other does not. Take it up here or go right to the horses mouth (Adobe) and they will tell you the same thing I'm going to say. Roll back your OS to where it was when CS3 worked or buy CS5. Nobody here or anywhere else is going to debug 10.6 and CS3 to try to determine why they won't work together because it is a complete waste of time and was probably intentional to get consumers to upgrade their software. Otherwise Adobe software and OSX would cost 3 times what it does because they would need to compatibility with all kinds of different platforms and also to make up for revenue they would not earn for releasing newer versions.

I confess that my contribution here is probably not a great help, but Photoshop CS3 works very well on my Mac Mini (1GB RAM 1.83 Intel Core 2 Duo) with Snow Leopard 10.6.3 as the OS. So clearly it can work with Snow Leopard.

I wonder whether it be worth doing a complete clean Snow Leopard install and re-install CS3 again?

If your CS even works, count that as a plus.
You would only have that working, because you upgraded to Snow Leopard with CS already installed and working before the upgrade.
If you have problems with that, and need to reinstall CS - you will not get it to work again, not with anything newer than Leopard. Even Adobe admits to that...

Thanks for the answers. Obviously, I am not expecting anyone to debug my system. I am just wondering if anyone came across this "anomaly" and if it was easily attributable to my lack of information that's all. I appreciate all your inputs but will now have to wait for version 6.

I'd be interested in error messages, if any, in the logs (run Console).

One admittedly complex possible solution would be to install 10.5 on an external drive, boot from that drive, and install CS3. Or use Firewire Target Hard Drive mode using two Firewire enabled Macs (one running 10.5) to install CS3. I don't know if that would work or not, but if it can be installed successfully in 10.5 but not in 10.6, it might work.

Good luck. Hope you find a solution. Rolling back to 10.5 might be a simpler solution.

Last edited:
If your CS even works, count that as a plus.
You would only have that working, because you upgraded to Snow Leopard with CS already installed and working before the upgrade.
Hi DeltaMac. I have just done a clean install of my system, i.e. Snow Leopard, because my Mac was running too slow. I have reinstalled Photoshop CS3 and it works perfectly well.

This is what console showed:

5/5/10 8:18:47 AM com.apple.launchd.peruser.503[121] ([0x0-0x223223].com.adobe.Photoshop[68061]) Exited with exit code: 1

... I have just done a clean install of my system, i.e. Snow Leopard, because my Mac was running too slow. I have reinstalled Photoshop CS3 and it works perfectly well.

Yes, and CS3 is two generations newer than CS. You wouldn't be able to successfully reinstall CS on Snow Leopard (or Leopard). That's the point I was making.

Their is a way to install photoshop, it gets extremely complicated and stressful trying to get it done, since Adobe seems to not give much of a shit about us. But it is possible. Let me look into it, what may be necessary is to install a much older version and then the newer one, atleast thats what I had to do to get version cue 4 (actually 3 but renamed)

Okay, so I looked back and noticed you are trying CS3, is it the suite or just photoshop?

Im guessing you already did this, but fully uninstall photoshop with the built in uninstall, and reinstall it from the cd.

Last edited:
It is the suite. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do a re-install. But, I will try in the morning. However I did do an "install" without removing the old version. That made no difference.

Thanks.

Adobe suite and ps is so complex that simply removing the app doesn't work, it leaves directories in you library which adobe has stated affects continuing installs. So fully remove it with the included apps in each folder, and make sure to remove preferences as well (should be near the bottom left if I remember right).

It is good news that you haven't done this yet, as this makes it very likely that this is your problem. If it doesn't work though then I will email you with a way to fix it outside of the cd.

Thanks.

Sorry to be lame about this. Is there an uninstall on their disk that I can't find? Or should I use something like APPzapper? When you mentioned lower left. Lower left of what? Appreciate your help and looking to move forward.

Richard

Back