Am I mistaken?

Rhisiart

Registered
Is it just my imagination or perception that 10.7.2 is just so much more streamlined than 10.7.0 (i.e. faster, more reliable etc.)?

I expected a few refinements, but for me the contrast is impressive.

The only caveat is that Preview takes a little longer to open.

Yep, same thing that happens when you run a "Repair Permissions" or "Optimize/Defragment Drive" -- the perceived speed increase is just that: perceived.

Like getting your car out of the shop after routine mantenance (oil change, "tune-up," etc.) and driving it home and saying, "Wow, it's smoother, peppier, and everything feels well-lubricated!" The reality is that a few days have passed since you last drove your car, nothing has changed, your memory has just faded ever so slightly causing you to believe you're experiencing something different.

While I have no doubt that 10.7.2 is an improvement over 10.7.0, the reality is that it "runs" just as fast (or slow) and the improvements are mostly security-related or bug-related.

Well, it stopped my applications from crashing every two minutes. I enjoyed that very much.

Well, it stopped my applications from crashing every two minutes. I enjoyed that very much.
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc--

--the quintessential logical fallacy. My applications did not crash under MacOS X 10.7, they did not crash under MacOS X 10.7.1, and they do not crash under MacOS X 10.7.2. I do not assert that my experience is universal, but the persistent crashes are rarely if ever mentioned by people complaining about MacOS X 10.7. The fact is that you have no idea why your applications crashed. Therefore, you have no basis for asserting that the latest version of your OS is responsible for stopping the crashes.

Is it just my imagination or perception that 10.7.2 is just so much more streamlined than 10.7.0 (i.e. faster, more reliable etc.)?

I expected a few refinements, but for me the contrast is impressive.

The only caveat is that Preview takes a little longer to open.

Well in my older Mac Book Pro I purchased a SSD and it was the difference between night & day! I really suggest getting a SSD for you Mac Book Pro!

However I did see that OS X 10.7.2 was just a little smaller than 10.7.1 but not by much. It seems the OS X programers might have streamed up some code that they might have missed before.

It is called the Placebo Effect.

I once consulted a homeopath for stomach pains (and various sequela). It worked! Fantastic! Well worth £40 for the consultation. Except of course I didn't actually take the potion he prescribed for me. But then, who cares about such details.

And now . . . a story:

A "new fish" is in the prison cafeteria. Suddenly, an inmate shouts "37!" and everyone laughs. A few minutes later, another inmate shouts "42!" and everyone laughs again. The newbie asks what is going on. An older inmate at his table explains: "well, we have all been in here for so long and heard every joke so many times, we just assigned numbers to the jokes. For example: 67!"

Everyone laughs. Another inmate at the table shouts, "14!" and a few are on the floor unable to control themselves. So the newbie jumps up and shouts:

"57!"

Silence.

The newbie sheepishly sits down and asks the older inmate what happened.

"Well . . . it's the way you tell it."

Just purchased the NEXT BEST THING to my older Macbook. And it is FASTER!!!!
awesome_mg.gif
Okay . . . it boots about the same speed BUT DOCUMENTS LOAD . . . well, they always loaded fast . . . but when I browse it is SO MUCH FASTER
awesome_mg.gif
. . . well . . . that is sort of dependent on my internet connection . . . but I AM SURE IT IS FASTER!!!!11!!ELEVENTY!
awesome_mg.gif

I am just happy I resisted the urge to spend 10X the price to upgrade the memory from 8 to 16 GB. But I KNOW it will be BETTER when I have 8GB!!11!! FEAR ME!!! FEAR ME!!
a41b5b14.gif

But . . . I also know that if I spent half the price of the computer to purchase the 16 GB upgrade . . . it would be EVEN BETTER!
cheerleader-sad.gif

--J.D.

Back