Apple vs. Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoniCX

Registered
I need your help, please!

Several years I bought my first and only PC. I upgraded it several times to go with the 'modern computer age'. I think now it is time to buy a whole new computer. Thinking about to switch to Apple my parents told me that they will pay for the computer. I know my dad very good and when I'll tell him I want to have an Apple then I need some points like why is Apple more money worth then other computer systems.

So, please help me. Write down all advantages AND disadvantages about: PC (Windows, Linux) Apple (Macintough)

Thank you very much folks!

Lars - Germany

Hi Lars :)

Welcome on board. ;)

How old are you? What do you do (with the computer), a student or something else? Which kind of applications do you need your computer to work with & what other you enjoy it with (e.g. technical drawing as a must, videos and music music enjoyable, office must etc)? Have you ever used on your PC e.g. any Linux distros? Which Mac or which kind of PCs do you have as alternatives now? I think it'd be easier to give the most valid pros and contros for both if we knew more about you...

Hey again!

I'm a highschool student who will go to collage in one year but I don't have a clue yet what classes I want to take there.

I thought about one of these new Power Mac rather then the iMacs. The stuff I do the most with the computer is:

DVD burning
work with digital pictures (graphic design)
editing Website
working with movies
Internet/eMails
(games)

Originally posted by SoniCX
I need your help, please!

Several years I bought my first and only PC. I upgraded it several times to go with the 'modern computer age'. I think now it is time to buy a whole new computer. Thinking about to switch to Apple my parents told me that they will pay for the computer. I know my dad very good and when I'll tell him I want to have an Apple then I need some points like why is Apple more money worth then other computer systems.

So, please help me. Write down all advantages AND disadvantages about: PC (Windows, Linux) Apple (Macintough)

Thank you very much folks!

Lars - Germany

- No registry
- Remove programs by dragging icon to trash (no remnants remain)
- Operating system stability
- Open source community support

DVD burning
Macs are great for that because they come with DVD burners standard, iDVD, and iMovie for creating & exporting DVD movies.
work with digital pictures (graphic design)
Macs are also excellent for these purposes because you can get several great programs for working with pictures, including Photoshop (full & Elements), Graphic Converter, Illustrator, Freehand, Flash, Director, etc. The Mac is great too because the higher end models come with dual processors, the likes of which both the system and programs like Photoshop take full advantage of. Macs are often the graphic design professional's computer of choice; about 30% of Adobe's market share is for Mac. That's still only about 1/3, and it's down from 50%, but compared to the Mac's 3-5% market share overall it's pretty high.
editing Website
You can get a variety of programs for this purpose too, including Dreamweaver, Go Live, Fetch, Transmit, and many more. Mac OS X has PHP, Perl, Apache, and more tools built right into its UNIX core, so you can use these powerful tools right out of the box.
working with movies
Final Cut Pro. 'Nuff said.

If you want/need less than that, you can use iMovie and a DV camera's Firewire port, or you can purchase Final Cut Express, Adobe Premiere, or even go all out for Avid Cinema. Plus, you can get pro tools like the (now) Mac-only Logic Audio, Cubase, and MOTU's Digital Performer for audio editing, and Adobe After Effects for special FX.
Internet/eMails
Mac OS X does not require you to use only 1 browser, and even though it comes with Explorer, you can download at least 6 other quality browsers, including Apple's latest venture, Safari; Netscape 7; Camino; and OmniWeb. Plus, X comes with Mail for checking POP3 mail accounts, and you can find other great mail programs for free as well.
This is, and has always been, one of the Mac's weakest angles. The sheer volume of games available for PC has consistently outweighed the Mac severalfold; however, we like to think that only the "best" games get ported/written for the Mac (though that's not always the case). If you don't mind playing a few popular games, maybe a while after they're released for PC; if you want quality shareware titles from the likes of Ambrosia; if you can afford Virtual PC and get a computer that can handle running games in it; then you should definitely get a Mac. If you need the latest, greatest games now, on the absolute best hardware possible, and you need all the games you can get, then you should get a PC. (Hell, you should buy a top-of-the-line PC, top-of-the-line Mac, Xbox, Playstation, and Gamecube because you have too much free time! :D)

With all these advantages, why would you buy another boring Wintel box? If you're addicted to blue screens of death (BSD! LOL! ::ha:: ); if you actually like Luna (or actually prefer it over Aqua—would you rather be an Aquatic or a Lunatic? ;)); if you need obscure programs like ___________ (<—insert obscure program here); if you're on the tightest of budgets; if you have no personality and you want to blend in with the majority instead of fighting back against mainstream society and buying a classy sports computer.

Thank you very much for that big post!

(If somebody knows something more you are welcome to post it.)

YOU GUYS ARE A GREAT HELP! I LIKE THIS FORUM HERE

Lars ;)

This is not a fast 2 or 3 lines thing .. (but I need to get to real life now) ..

- Better support (forums etc) for macs (i never saw any good for windows)

- X = using OS X you can use easily most of UNIX and Linux programs. (As powerful as *NIX in general, but you can do about everything also with GUIs.) Those (=unix and most linux programs) are free, and learning better what to do with command lines you could probably become interested also in programming .. did anyone mention cocoa yet? :)

- Software? Look on versiontracker.com - So thousands of softwares for OS X and many are even freewares. And lighter than the windows spyware-powered equivalents. If you try some of those small programs, many times the programmer him/herself answers to you if you have a question - this never happened with any windows software.

i guess there is a lot of positiv stuff. how about the negative. is there something where you rather would have a Windows PC then an Apple (except for games)?

Lars

hey again.

what about periphery? can i buy 'normal' LCDs or ATXs and connect them over a adapter? and i heard that if i dont like these one-buttom mouses (which i do not like) you can connect a 'normal' mouse with a wheel etc. does it work like in windows? what about sound systems, can i still use my old soundsystem (because its kinda great). and printers and scanner should work because of usb, or am i wrong?

You can use other than Mac monitors too (in most cases mac monitors have better picture, but you can use the other ones as well). And most of the people (mac users) i know like more the 2 or 3 button mouse, they work of course too. :)

I never liked playing with PC games (i had PCs in the past) - if you go to computer store, you will see many more games for PCs than for Macs. But if you look on the web, like versiontracker.com, you will find many mac games too. My favorite game is Deimos Rising - you can see that (and get a mac demo = not released yet for PCs) at Ambrosia SW site (www.ambrosiasw.com) ..

Printers and scanners - most work with Macs too. Some are PC only - e.g. Apple's site has good specifications on which work (always good to ask). Also of digital cameras etc - most 'good ones' (in that case sony, minolta, canon etc) work perfectly with Mac too.

Sometimes the peripherals that work with Mac cost a bit more. :-/

ow about the negative. is there something where you rather would have a Windows PC then an Apple (except for games)?

well... not really! but there are some downsides to mac's... my imac keeps me 100% happy the hardest thing i have ever had to do on it is configure an SMC wireless router to work. SMC had good tech support, but the rep i talked to just didn't know much about mac's. another downside is that I haven't found out how to get .wmp (from window's media player) files to work on my mac. That might be a problem if you use wmp to listen to music (although iTunes > wmp) that could be a downside. The other main downside is the cost of mac's. A high end powermac costs less then most windows boxes you could buy with the same specs, but as you get into the lower end mac's pc's become a lot cheaper. The mac's are better (imo) but you can get a low end windows box for 600 bucks from dell, and the cheapest mac is 999 for an iBook.
what about periphery? can i buy 'normal' LCDs or ATXs and connect them over a adapter? and i heard that if i dont like these one-buttom mouses (which i do not like) you can connect a 'normal' mouse with a wheel etc. does it work like in windows? what about sound systems, can i still use my old soundsystem (because its kinda great). and printers and scanner should work because of usb, or am i wrong?
Im not sure what an ATX is but yes, you can connect just about any LCD monitor to a powermac (all the other macs have monitors designed into them) with various adapters. You can choose from many nice lookin mice with 2+ buttons and a scrollweel. My imac has a normal headphone plugin that is for speakers, your soundsystem would work if it has that kind of plug. Just about any USB device you plug into your mac works from the start, and if not all you have to do is install a driver for it (it's real easy too).
I say get a mac, any hard times you have the people at this board can probably help you solve. Especially because a free mac is 200 times better then any pc you could ever get :)

ok Giaguara covered most of what I did and it looks like she types faster then me too... nevermind :)

i guess there is a lot of positiv stuff. how about the negative. is there something where you rather would have a Windows PC then an Apple (except for games)?
I'd rather have a PC over a Mac for:
  • Smashing it through a window when the piece of sh:mad:t doesn't f::evil::cking work!!!!!
  • Connecting thousands upon thousands of cables to the back of my computer, forgetting which does what, and staring in disbelief when something goes wrong with my hardware
  • Getting bored with a stupid-looking, ugly, gray GUI
  • Assembling a cheap computer out of parts that then fails to be compatible with anything
  • Wondering what the f::evil::ck program wrote that crap-ass file
Oh yeah, and Half-life.

Originally posted by arden
I'd rather have a PC over a Mac for:
  • Smashing it through a window when the piece of sh:mad:t doesn't f::evil::cking work!!!!!
  • Connecting thousands upon thousands of cables to the back of my computer, forgetting which does what, and staring in disbelief when something goes wrong with my hardware
  • Getting bored with a stupid-looking, ugly, gray GUI
  • Assembling a cheap computer out of parts that then fails to be compatible with anything
  • Wondering what the f::evil::ck program wrote that crap-ass file
Oh yeah, and Half-life.

Hmm you really didn't give me really good reasons. I mean I have Windows2000 and I have not had a blue screen, never had trouble with not knowing what problem I should use for my files. So that wasnt a really good help, but still thanks man!

hey again.

Yep. I'm using a logitech 2-button mouse (with mouse wheel) and it works fine. It's a USB mouse, not a PS/2 mouse, which are not supported, as far as I know. The computer should come with a VGA adapter if you want to use a normal CRT monitor.

Check out www.apple.com/switch and the vendors for your scanner and printer to be sure, but there is a very wide number of supported peripherals.

what about sound systems, can i still use my old soundsystem (because its kinda great).
I'm gonna go out on limb here an guess you mean soundcards. Most Macs have some way of connecting speakers built in. The guys at Apple are trying to push Digital sound forward, so most devices you will see will connect via USB ports (ie sound sticks).

Some companies are making PCI (analog) sound cards for OS X and there is a underground group working on drivers for Sound Blaster's (Live!, Audiogy, Extigy) cards.

So, I say all that to say this: Even if your sound card isn't currently supported, it could be in the future. 10.3 is supposed to support more sound cards, and with the recent release of Pro Tools 6, hopefully more will be supported soon.

I have a few technical reasons why I switched to Apple. Top of the list is the ability to run Unix software in the same environment I use for design, office and internet applications. There's also the array of built-in services in the Mac OS X operating system and the really L33T Java system.

Ultimately, though, the reason I will be STAYING with Apple is because of my experiences since switching.
- Excellent customer support.
- A strong and supportive community of users.
- A commitment to developers (compare Apple's totally FREE developer tools, to M$ expensive options)
- A commitment to open-source software.
- Stability. My little Mac just doesn't crash.
- Ease of use. No hunting for drivers. No hardware conflicts. No registry, no uninstall, no spyware or nagware.
- Design of the interface. It's really built to make things easier for the user. I can work more efficiently because I can keep better track of what I'm doing.
- Build quality of the hardware.
- No fans on the processor or power supply means the Mac runs a LOT quieter than a PC.

And then, of course, there's the software...

Anyway, I'm sure you should have no trouble, once you've had a chance to muck around with a Mac for yourself, coming up with great reasons why a Mac would make a great computer. Good luck!

...a positive experience! ::love::

But one should not buy a Mac because:
-He is used to Windows A LOT (where is the Maximize button? Damn I hate Macs for not having a Maximize button... Or where is the Start button? Eh? You mean that Macs don't have a Start button? WTF? Where is Add/Remove Apps application? I hate Macs...) I think you get the point...
-While Apple and third-parties try their best, you will not find some apps for Macs like Cool Edit series... While, I know that these apps are low quality to what exists for Macs, still Wintel lovers swear by their names...
-The same for games... The situation improves by each passing month but Macs get the so-called best games of Wintels and still some of them never converted...
-Although, Macs have Virtual PC to run Windows (and other OSes) apps this is just a last-resort solution... By that I mean you should not expect speed while running VPC :rolleyes:
-Macs aren't the best thing when one that he/she doesn't know many things about Macs discusses about computers with his/her friends... Most of the time they are making fun of that person or simply his/her opinion doesn't get through :mad:
-If one likes to tear into pieces his computers Macs aren't that good in this area... Well, all Macs except PowerMacs...
-Price... Unfortunately when it is time to buy something specific to Macs (a FireWire peripheral for example) most of the time you will have to pay some more than the usual treat for Wintels...
-Support... Although A LOT better than Wintels, still you'll have to go to selected stores to get your support, be it hardware or software...
-Availability... Some times, when you MUST have that expansion, software, new Mac, whatever, maybe you have to wait some days, weeks or even worst, months :eek:

I'm sure that Macs have some other negative points compared to Wintels but so far with Macs I learned firsthand this:
ONCE YOU GO MAC... YOU NEVER GO BACK...

The problem is: Will you go Mac? :rolleyes:

I hope that you will for your own good ;) :D ;)

Originally posted by hulkaros
...a positive experience! ::love::

But one should not buy a Mac because:
-He is used to Windows A LOT (where is the Maximize button? Damn I hate Macs for not having a Maximize button... Or where is the Start button? Eh? You mean that Macs don't have a Start button? WTF? Where is Add/Remove Apps application? I hate Macs...) I think you get the point...

Hehe, I think your point was: Mac is not Windows.

But thank yall! I think you helped me a lot. If I really buy an Apple or not depends on my dad (because he want to buy it me as a gift - and you know $$). But I am positive even if they are a little bit more expensive. And I dont have a really big problem with all that games. If I really need to play, then I'll take my brothers or dads PC.

Thanks again! CU

Ohoh, I just checked this list http://www.apple.com/switch/questions/peripherals/cameras.html and my digital camera is not in this list. I own a Casio QV 4000. If you know this camera you know it cost me a shit load money and it's one of the best digicams on the market (even if it is a little bit older: http://www.casio.com/cameras/product.cfm?product=4539 = newer model, but nothing changed except the switch from 4MP to 5MP). So does it mean now that if my periphery is not in one of these lists I can forget about it? That really would be a point for me to not buy an Apple. I would have the oppertunity to connect the digicam to a PC and copy the files to a disk or send it thru the network. But I wouldn't be too happy if that is the solution.

the camera:

front: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/casio/qv4000-review/camera-front-angled.jpg
back: http://www.ixbt.com/digimage/casio/qv4000/vid4.jpg
top: http://www.ixbt.com/digimage/casio/qv4000/vid3.jpg
side: http://www.ixbt.com/digimage/casio/qv4000/vid5.jpg
bottom: http://www.ixbt.com/digimage/casio/qv4000/vid2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back