Apple vs. Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Jason
the fact of the matter is IE on pc is faster than safari on mac... also flash performance on mac's leave much to be desired... oh well, what can ya do, i have my macs because i like the os *shrugs*

Since I browse the internet a lot, I'd like some more info on that.. :(
Apple says that "Safari renders Web pages properly according to the latest Internet standards" and that it works fine with flash/macromedia and java
What kind of websites wont I be a able to see? Can you give me an example? :(

SonicX: For what you want to do, I think an iMac or low end Power Mac, with all the software that you get on it, will be plenty for you, as you won't have to buy a whole lot more to get going as you would with a PC. Besides, PC's cost more for support and maintenance because you'll probably need it a lot more that with a Mac.

MacUser79: Most of the Internet uses Windows with some version of IE, usually 5.x or 6. Therefore, webmasters usually optimize their sites for IE, which does not adhere to the latest standards as Safari does. Therefore, Safari is fast and accurate, but it's running on bad fuel. To extend the car scenario, it's like pumping diesel into your Z3. (It's really not, but that's what it would be like for cars. I think you get the idea.)

All of this just shows the real difficulty in deciding to stick/switch/add...
You 'stick' if you're nervous/can't be bothered/arsed to think about the long term cost etc.
You 'switch' if you're not afraid of the 'dark' / feel reasonably technically competent (not that a Mac really requires it - but you feel better about the leap if you are)
You 'add' if you've got the time/money/inclination.

I help control 25 Macs and 100 PCs with 20 odd MS Servers and 2 OS X Servers... and it's the that Macs make the money :).

I like Macs 'cos:
I used them for 15 years (or is that 17?)
No registry
Nice GUI
No known viruses (so far)
Loadsa geezers writing funky/useful utils 'cos now they can... without a huge license to pay :)
Forums galore - previous writer is nearly fully right - MS forums can be a little thin on the ground - but if you want to know about MS Exchange Servers go to slipstick.com ;-)
ThinkFree Office is $50

I don't like Macs 'cos:
Technical documentation falls fully 'tween two stools - it's either childish or geekish.
Hardware cost is 'high' (get what you pay for guys)
If I don't reboot my Macmini at least once a week - the HD makes me pay for it. (XP up now for over 6 weeks).
I "can't" move my copy of OS X Server to an updated box - because that breaks the Licence Agreement :mad:

There's more I'm sure ;-)

And lastly I'll rant this,
I've really tried to be an evangelist about Macs to 'all the little people' (people I know and small businesses) who seemingly have the inclination to consider the alternative... but it's all about price right? Trust me, if that's how you qualify a product then don't waste your time trying to convert them... Move on.

Good luck with whatever you buy - I hope it does what you need it to do... "Peace Man".

(I know, it's not really a bashing thread, but it's really, really old - and we don't want to slap those long-dead horses...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back