Apple vs. Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey hulkaros!

Ahmmm ... oh darn it. I just forgot what I wanted to say. That isn't good. So young and now I have altsheimer. Oh I am going down ... :eek: :(

Sonic, about notebooks... if you would get an iBook or a Powerbook - when you'll need to 'upgrade' them, just sell the used and get a new one. Macs conserve their value better than wintels, so you can always get a better price for them than for pc laptops. If the newer version of the Powerbook 15" would come out fast, that could probably be ideal for you. :)

iMac ... well, looks a bit like family mac or de decoration but actually even many offices use that.

The USB memory stick sounds cool. I don't have floppy drives anymore .. if you have floppies hanging around now, you could always make a CD with a data of all them inside and then go for memory stick (or iPod) :p

iPod? do you just put the data on your iPod and transportate them around? If yes I do that with my Digicam all the time. 1GB HDD in the Cam is enough for stuff like that.

And note book?? hmm ... maybe I will buy a used iBook for the university and school. I just need a Desktop Computer. Sorry Notebook for at home ... naww ;)

But I will look for some good iBooks that are used. By the way are they good? So would you give me the advice to buy one of those?

dang I just looked a little bit for used iBooks. Those are really not that cheap. But oh well I will find something cheap sooner or later.

I use iBook as my main computer. Powerbooks are nice but $ and the 12" ibook is just the right size to carry around - e.g. I'd feel extremely uncomfortable with a 17" PB in my backpack. Probably for the lesson etc use (on the road) a used (and not necessarily even the newest) ibook will be just fine. Less worrying than with any PB.. ;)

The camera will probably hold enough of your floppy-sized files, good point. I just drag some files (e.g. large pictures etc) to my (20 G) ipod, that holds plenty of them ... but that requires the other computer to work with be a mac as well. (Windows formatted iPods work both with mac and windows, mac only with mac). :)

oh well I couldnt use a notebook as a main computer. but good luck that we all are different. would be boring if we wouldnt.

so i think you all solved my problems and answered my questions. thank you again. everything seems to be a little bit easier. cu guys

May I point out that in just over two days there have been over 100 posts to this thread? Even if half of them are yours, that's incredible support.

A good reason to buy a mac is the support you get from the mac user community.

Originally posted by pds
May I point out that in just over two days there have been over 100 posts to this thread? Even if half of them are yours, that's incredible support.

A good reason to buy a mac is the support you get from the mac user community.

yes I see that. I like this community hear. No buttheads here :D

Uh, "community"? That sounds like religious freakism ... ummh.. dedicate at least 5 times a day 15 minutes to your Mac, try to do a pilgramage at least once a life to MMSF, MWNY, WWDC, Cupertino etc... never marry a Windows users, convert all your friends to Mac ... :eek:

Originally posted by Giaguara
Uh, "community"? That sounds like religious freakism ... ummh.. dedicate at least 5 times a day 15 minutes to your Mac, try to do a pilgramage at least once a life to MMSF, MWNY, WWDC, Cupertino etc... never marry a Windows users, convert all your friends to Mac ... :eek:

haha ....

what a better word then community?

Originally posted by arden
I'd rather have a PC over a Mac for:
  • Smashing it through a window when the piece of sh:mad:t doesn't f::evil::cking work!!!!!
  • Connecting thousands upon thousands of cables to the back of my computer, forgetting which does what, and staring in disbelief when something goes wrong with my hardware
  • Getting bored with a stupid-looking, ugly, gray GUI
  • Assembling a cheap computer out of parts that then fails to be compatible with anything
  • Wondering what the f::evil::ck program wrote that crap-ass file
Oh yeah, and Half-life.

omg

LOL i can't stop laughing !!!! lol

do they ever close threads here? if yes now would be the right moment because all my questions are prefect answered. I am happy everybody else is happy (should be).

Chip is one of Germany biggest computer magazines. On their online website is a big article about MAC vs. PC ! I though - wow that is interesting. I will read thru it and ten post like the highlights out of it.

For all that understand German klick here !

Originally posted by SoniCX
do they ever close threads here? if yes now would be the right moment because all my questions are prefect answered. I am happy everybody else is happy (should be).

We do close threads when they are against the rules (wares, personal attacks etc) but ... this is a rather interesting thread, i'd rather leave it open ;)

ok here are some honest answers, ive been known to be pretty ubiased so some members might not like my answers ;)

DVD burning
Macs are pretty damned good with this, there are very few PC answers to dvd burning that work well from what ive heard...

work with digital pictures (graphic design)
easy answer "everyone does graphic design on macs"...

most print houses work on macs, but with newer programs these days (besides quark) it doesnt matter if you use a pc or a mac, in most cases.. so in this case, a pc might be better because of faster hardware available for cheaper

editing Website
fact of the matter is, 95% of internet users (rough estimate ;)) use PC's, also flash is a big hitter too, so basically you build websites for pc users most of the time, which means that if you are on a mac, you need a pc to see what it looks like....

also flash performance, for whatever reason, is horrid on a mac... no clue why :confused:

working with movies
although pc hardware is faster, mac software in this instance over powers it... final cut pro is a great program that the pc side lacks and you really cant leave home without it ;)

Internet/eMails
fastest net browsing is still on pc sadly, as well as being compatible with just about every plugin etc... so mac users miss out on a lot of new creative ideas

other than that, it doesnt matter which platform you use to browse on etc

(games)
if anyone ever told you that a mac would be good or better for games, they lied to you... absolutely no game development for macs, all we get are ports of pc games sadly

---

so it basically comes down to speed of hardware vs software and community really

i like to have both myself, but i had to sell my pc in the move, so i have just 2 macs left now... if you need bang for the buck, i say go pc right now, and come back to mac later on :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back