Apple vs. Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here Casio specs from their site - it looked weird that casios won't work with mac, if even most HPs do (on apple site's specs). Casio says it works with G3 and better. (I assume also with 10.2, the old sheet said 10 or 10.1). A nice camera :)

A) Your Casio should be compatible, especially if it has a USB port... we have an old QV-10A that uses serial, so Casio does support Mac.

B) We have to use a number of workarounds at my home. Believe me, if you need to use them, you'll get used to it.

you are right, it does say it on the casio website. oh well I guess I am just still a little bit tired and did not see it. Anyways, is that an example that the list on the Apple website is not really up to date?

By the way, sorry for my sucky english.

As the posters have said, there's a lot of good things with a Mac, especially when it comes to things such as photo and video work. I've also liked Macs because they are much stable than Windows and you can personalize a Mac to your preference much more than a peecee. Plus, I kinda like being on the cutting edge of tech and experimenting with stuff and doing what I want on my computer.
However, if you are a student, or will be attending a uni, an iBook or PowerBook might be a good idea. You can take notes from classes right there, or go even smaller and use a pda (I have the great Tungsten/T) and use that for note-taking, then sycn it over to your desktop.
Plus, while wireless is starting to come around for peecee, the Airport is a great system. I'm in bed typing this via Airport broadband while my iTunes is running on the boom box in my room (I'm using an FM transmitter, about US$20, from my iPod).
If you're unsure, make a list of the the top 5 things you want to do right now and what you may want to do in 2 years. Then go and visit a few different computers, Apple and peecee, and see what you're comfortable with. Ask the dealers to explain why their machine is best in satisfying all 10 of your point. Most of all, get something you'll be comfortable with, then enjoy the hell out of it.

Oh, and while I don't use Virtual PC much since I get enough of Dr Watson at work right now, it is nice to answer peeceeheads when they ask if I can run Windows or Microsoft Office and I can answer 98, 2000 or XP? And Office, Excel, PowerPoint or Entourage, then I can ask if they can use the like of iTunes, .mac, iPhoto and/or iDVD.

...However, if you are a student, or will be attending a uni, an iBook or PowerBook might be a good idea. You can take notes from classes right there, or go even smaller and use a pda (I have the great Tungsten/T) and use that for note-taking, then sycn it over to your desktop...

I thought about it. I don't like the iBooks (personally) and the PowerBooks look great but very very expensive. I will go to the uni and I thought about buying a used notebook (simple, easy, cheap) or, like you said, a PDA. Today you even can buy keyboards for them and everything is really easy and small (!!).

I will see what I can do (buget!!)

It's about 100 euros, so not the cheapest thing, but the Palm ultra-thin keyboard is wonderful.

http://store.palm.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1195299

It's small enough to fold and fit in your pocket, but it is just about full-sized and gives some feedback when you type, so it is sturdy.
I use mine in the office, mostly for sms, but also for note-taking. I wish I had something like it in my uni days.

Hallo Lars,

Use a Mac if you have an interest in using a Mac. For example, all my girlfriend needs in her computer life is:
- Web / Mail
- Word
- Mail
So Mac fits here. Similarly, all I need is:
- Web / Mail
- Office
- DTP
- CD-R
So Mac fits too ! And we both need:
- Simplicity
- Multimedia
- Web support

Now, your case.
* is 'unsuitable'
** is 'fine'
*** 'perfect'

- DVD burning: *** [Apple has made a specific software for that]
- Work with digital pictures (graphic design): *** [graphic designers prefer Mac for many reasons]
- Editing Website: ** [Apple has the same tools as PC]
- Working with movies: *** [same remark as DVD]
- Internet/eMails: *** [iMacs and Macs in general build around this]
- (games): ** [Fewer games, less speed, less graphic cards than PC]

Oh, talking about mail etc... I have NEVER seen an OS X native virus (there are few for mac classic and few for unix. i have never seen personally any of each. but loads of windows viruses). I still keep receiving lots of windows viruses from the pc users with the pc addressbook and M$ Lookout (outlook). You don't need to slow your system with all those Nortons etc. and those magister etc worms do you nothing with a mac. :)

Originally posted by Giaguara
Oh, talking about mail etc... I have NEVER seen an OS X native virus (there are few for mac classic and few for unix. i have never seen personally any of each. but loads of windows viruses). I still keep receiving lots of windows viruses from the pc users with the pc addressbook and M$ Lookout (outlook). You don't need to slow your system with all those Nortons etc. and those magister etc worms do you nothing with a mac. :)

I use Windows PC systems for around 7 years now. I have not had one Anti Virus Program on my computer and I have not had one virus. So I never understood why people made such a big deal out of it. My computer was online 24/7.

But I get it, that you guys try to lets me see the MACS good from all angels. GJ. Thx

This isn't reason enough to get one, much less convince the parental units to part with some $$$ for ya, but Macs look cool. ::ha::

They look good??

Oh well I guess I'll fall in love with them. LOL

No seriously, I know a bunch of people who really like to look of the new Macs and I know a lot of people they hate it. I really don't like the old iMacs. Ugly. But the new ones look kinda cool.

Originally posted by SoniCX
I use Windows PC systems for around 7 years now. I have not had one Anti Virus Program on my computer and I have not had one virus. So I never understood why people made such a big deal out of it. My computer was online 24/7.

But I get it, that you guys try to lets me see the MACS good from all angels. GJ. Thx

...your personal experience with viruses... Still, you may had a worm, a virus all these years in your system and you would never be able to know this because simply you didn't have antivirus apps installed... You know? Many viruses and worms actually may not harm your files and system in a destructive way or one day just pop up a window saying: "Hey I'm a virus and I'm here to mess things up"! They may as well just pass to other computers via emails, cds, diskettes, etc. or even that BSOD or problem that made you reinstall your Windows it was from that harmless virus and/or worm... I've all these years as a Wintel and Mac tech person SO many people who believed that they had no viruses... But, oh, the horror!

Believe me! There is no way that someone can be online 24/7 with a Wintel computer and NEVER infected with viruses/worms... No way! And even if you were THAT lucky, it is something like 1 in 1.000.000... Yep! You may actually be THAT lucky! :rolleyes: :p ;) :D

Originally posted by hulkaros
...your personal experience with viruses... Still, you may had a worm, a virus all these years in your system and you would never be able to know this because simply you didn't have antivirus apps installed... You know? Many viruses and worms actually may not harm your files and system in a destructive way or one day just pop up a window saying: "Hey I'm a virus and I'm here to mess things up"! They may as well just pass to other computers via emails, cds, diskettes, etc. or even that BSOD or problem that made you reinstall your Windows it was from that harmless virus and/or worm... I've all these years as a Wintel and Mac tech person SO many people who believed that they had no viruses... But, oh, the horror!

Believe me! There is no way that someone can be online 24/7 with a Wintel computer and NEVER infected with viruses/worms... No way! And even if you were THAT lucky, it is something like 1 in 1.000.000... Yep! You may actually be THAT lucky! :rolleyes: :p ;) :D

hehe, maybe I was a lucky guy. Who knows ... I just know that never something effected my computer ... And I never god eMail like that. Maybe you don't believe me, but I have an eMail account from the German Postel Service (http://www.ePost.de) and I never got comercail mails or junk mail, spam or what ever. So maybe you think I am lying but I am telling the truth. Never had trouble with eMails, never trouble with viruses (and I burn a whole bunch of CDs and I give it to my friends - who have all that Anti-virus crap that slowes everything down - and they never said something about viruses on the CDs or what ever) and even my Windows was always fast and bluescreens - havent had them since Win98. Maybe I am lucky, maybe I know how to use my PC but maybe Mac is even faster and better. I don't doubt it!!!

I have an eMail account from the German Postel Service (http://www.ePost.de) and I never got comercail mails or junk mail, spam or what ever.
Do they have an English version for non-Germans? :p I'd even forward my last travel expense form from my Munich visit last year. Heck, even the trained spam guard from .mac lets spam through and I don't even wanna get into my hotmail account. :mad:
Forget buying a computer. Put all your money in ePost.de and get rid of Spam for all computer users (but Mac users first, please), you'll be richer than Scrooge McDuck. :D

Originally posted by Randman
Do they have an English version for non-Germans? :p I'd even forward my last travel expense form from my Munich visit last year. Heck, even the trained spam guard from .mac lets spam through and I don't even wanna get into my hotmail account. :mad:
Forget buying a computer. Put all your money in ePost.de and get rid of Spam for all computer users (but Mac users first, please), you'll be richer than Scrooge McDuck. :D

Hehe, sorry no english version. But that is the only free eMail account that I know that doesnt have junk mails. There are bunches of eMailsides like hotmail with all that shit.

So who is McDuck now?

ohhh ... that is Mr Duck. I haven't see that show in english yet. I just love it. But the names are quite different to the german names ;)

Originally posted by SoniCX
hehe, maybe I was a lucky guy. Who knows ... I just know that never something effected my computer ... And I never god eMail like that. Maybe you don't believe me, but I have an eMail account from the German Postel Service (http://www.ePost.de) and I never got comercail mails or junk mail, spam or what ever. So maybe you think I am lying but I am telling the truth. Never had trouble with eMails, never trouble with viruses (and I burn a whole bunch of CDs and I give it to my friends - who have all that Anti-virus crap that slowes everything down - and they never said something about viruses on the CDs or what ever) and even my Windows was always fast and bluescreens - havent had them since Win98. Maybe I am lucky, maybe I know how to use my PC but maybe Mac is even faster and better. I don't doubt it!!!

Oh, no! I believe you... But as I said you are SOOOOO lucky for not having any viruses at your Wintel computing experience all these years... Damn lucky! I wish I was lucky too because I have 2 networks with Windows 2000 and Windows 98se machines with up to 70 computers full of viruses to fix in the days ahead... And the worst part? They even have antivirus software but they failed to update them in the past few months... Damn my luck! :mad: :mad: :mad: :(

Originally posted by hulkaros
Oh, no! I believe you... But as I said you are SOOOOO lucky for not having any viruses at your Wintel computing experience all these years... Damn lucky! I wish I was lucky too because I have 2 networks with Windows 2000 and Windows 98se machines with up to 70 computers full of viruses to fix in the days ahead... And the worst part? They even have antivirus software but they failed to update them in the past few months... Damn my luck! :mad: :mad: :mad: :(

Im sorry that you are so unlucky. But oh well ... maybe you have a nice wife and that is more important :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back