Apple vs. Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by SoniCX
you are right, it does say it on the casio website. oh well I guess I am just still a little bit tired and did not see it. Anyways, is that an example that the list on the Apple website is not really up to date?
Probably. In any case, many hardware add-ons, including cameras, are compatible with the Mac even if they weren't intended to be because they use certain standards like USB or JPEG. My iMac's mouse is not supposed to be Mac-compatible, and the software is Windows-only, but it works great.
By the way, sorry for my sucky english.
You should hear my German... (I took 3 years of Spanish) :)

For all you English speakers out there who want (mostly) spam-free email, try www.mail.com. That's what I use; you can select from a lot of domains (mine is cliffhanger.com), and it's free, even if it's ad-supported (like much free online stuff is); I hardly get any spam, most of which I filter out anyway.

I have a question about the whole two-button-mouse-thing...

Yeah, you can hook up a two button mouse, but what does the other button do, then?

FOr example, in Windows it opens the little...useful application tasks menu..which i enjoy..

Does OSX have this same menu?

I assume not..but i could be wrong.

You are wrong that is what it does. You get to the little application menu with Control-Click with a one button rodent.

-Eric

With the proper mouse driver software (including USB Overdrive), the 2nd, 3rd, etc. buttons on your mouse do exactly what you want them to. Typically, they are set to control-click, which opens up a contextual menu like Windows's right-click, but you can change this if you want.

You could get a M$ (yes, it's M$, but it works) Intellimouse with 5 buttons and set button 2 to control-click, button 3 to double-click (very useful I've found), and buttons 4 and 5 to launch programs, delete files, save or quit applications, or whatever else you could want (yes, including click-drag—waste of a button usually IMO).

For all you English speakers out there who want (mostly) spam-free email, try www.mail.com. That's what I use; you can select from a lot of domains (mine is cliffhanger.com), and it's free, even if it's ad-supported (like much free online stuff is); I hardly get any spam, most of which I filter out anyway. [/B]

thank you very much for that advice. I hope it is working. My american mom looked for a good english emailwebsite. ill tell her about it. thanks again.

by the way, i dont know if i maybe told you before, but I really like the community. everybody is so nice and tries to help. there are lots of boards where are just dumbbutts that try to make trouble.

Originally posted by arden
With the proper mouse driver software (including USB Overdrive), the 2nd, 3rd, etc. buttons on your mouse do exactly what you want them to. Typically, they are set to control-click, which opens up a contextual menu like Windows's right-click, but you can change this if you want.

You could get a M$ (yes, it's M$, but it works) Intellimouse with 5 buttons and set button 2 to control-click, button 3 to double-click (very useful I've found), and buttons 4 and 5 to launch programs, delete files, save or quit applications, or whatever else you could want (yes, including click-drag—waste of a button usually IMO).

Aeronyth ask a really good question. I didn't get the answer so. So I just can kinda program my mouse what the second and third mouse button does. What about the wheel? Is it like in Windows that it moves the pages up and down? If yes that would be great.

if you plug a standard 2 button wheel mouse in to a mac, it will work straight away. The wheel works as expected and the right button is a contextual menu.

I use USB overdrive to set the 3rd button (click wheel) to option-click this is exceptionally use ful when switching applications - it hides the application you are leaving. And even more useful in photoshop etc for drag copying.

I have notice that when i plug the same mouse in to my dads work PC laptop windows takes about 30 seconds to recognise and install drivers for it. It works straight away on a mac!

I heard that if you burn a DVD with a Mac then you just can work with this DVD if you have a Mac system. Is that true? If yes that kinda dumb because the minority owns Mac systems.

Can I just connect my speakers that I always used to the Apple (input/output)?

How is it about floppydiscs? Do they even exist for Apples? Don't you need a bootfloppydisc?

And how important is the Level3 Cache and Cache? Is it so important that I rather should buy the dual 1.42 GHz (with 2MB Cache) or is the dual 1.25 GHz still good enough? To be honerst I have no clue how big my PC's cache is. All I know about it, is that the processor needs it to save data for a little while.

and do you guys know any good Apple/Mac support websites or website about Apple/Mac stuff that expalins what to do what in different situations and whats about the hardware ...

I heard that if you burn a DVD with a Mac then you just can work with this DVD if you have a Mac system. Is that true? If yes that kinda dumb because the minority owns Mac systems.

No way! Any DVD burned on the Mac can be used in Wintels too... If it is a DVD movie you can play it in almost all DVD-Players out there be it for Wintels or TVs ;) :D

Plug & Play :p

How is it about floppydiscs? Do they even exist for Apples? Don't you need a bootfloppydisc?

If you MUST HAVE a floppy drive go ahead and buy one... :D Make sure that it is a USB one and NO Macs don't need floppies in order to Boot ;)

And how important is the Level3 Cache and Cache? Is it so important that I rather should buy the dual 1.42 GHz (with 2MB Cache) or is the dual 1.25 GHz still good enough? To be honerst I have no clue how big my PC's cache is. All I know about it, is that the processor needs it to save data for a little while.

Both Duals are awesome and their Cache difference isn't that big between those two beasts... However, L3 makes a huge difference when you use any Mac G4-based computer (eMac, iMac, 12" aBook have only 256KB L2 cache --not L3) and compare it to PowerMacs or even PowerBooks (15" & 17") which have >1MB of L3 memory... Huge difference! If money ain't a problem go for the highest PowerMac configuration you can buy... Let's say 2*23" Displays and a Dual 1.42 :p :D ;)

and do you guys know any good Apple/Mac support websites or website about Apple/Mac stuff that expalins what to do what in different situations and whats about the hardware ...

www.macosx.com ;)
www.apple.com/hardware/ :D
www.apple.com/support/
www.macosxhints.com
www.xlr8yourmac.com
www.macfixit.com
www.barefeats.com
www.mactech.com
www.macaddict.com
www.helmug.gr (if you can read Greek :p :D )
www.macworld.com
www.macminute.com
www.macdevcenter.com/mac/
www.maccentral.com
www.apple.com/games/
www.insidemacgames.com

100% I'm missing many more but I'm writing this from my work and I don't have my bookmarks here :rolleyes: Most of the above mentioned sites are sites news too and they cover gaming stuff too... Also, most of them have forums and stuff so you will not have ANY problems to ask whatever you feel like (well, almost whatever ;) )... Nice reading! :p :D

I burnt I think about 100 DVDs now with the Powerbook I have now and the only players that have a problem playing my DVDs are old, and I mean first generation Playstation 2's ... The new ones (G2 and above) never had a problem.

If I remember correctly, PCs don't have L2 and L3 cache. They come without it. That's why it's never mentioned on advertisment for PCs. They know that all that wonderful cache we have as Mac users is one of the reasons why video-editing goes that fast.

Grtz,
.anerki

Originally posted by hulkaros

No way! Any DVD burned on the Mac can be used in Wintels too... If it is a DVD movie you can play it in almost all DVD-Players out there be it for Wintels or TVs

I just heard it somewhere. I will look for it again and the post it here, okay?!

Plug & Play

cool and easy!! ;-)

If you MUST HAVE a floppy drive go ahead and buy one... :D Make sure that it is a USB one and NO Macs don't need floppies in order to Boot ;)

okay I guess I'll save my money on this. But there are always some gay teachers they want to have a floppydisk with homework rather then homework via eMail. Teachers with issues. hehe

Both Duals are awesome and their Cache difference isn't that big between those two beasts... However, L3 makes a huge difference when you use any Mac G4-based computer (eMac, iMac, 12" aBook have only 256KB L2 cache --not L3) and compare it to PowerMacs or even PowerBooks (15" & 17") which have >1MB of L3 memory... Huge difference! If money ain't a problem go for the highest PowerMac configuration you can buy... Let's say 2*23" Displays and a Dual 1.42 :p :D ;)

Okay explain me please a little bit more - what exactly is the Cache for and why should it be as big as possible and is there a big difference between 1MB and 2MB?

Let me ask my daddy and grandma for money :p

If I remember correctly, PCs don't have L2 and L3 cache. They come without it. That's why it's never mentioned on advertisment for PCs. They know that all that wonderful cache we have as Mac users is one of the reasons why video-editing goes that fast.
[/B]

PCs are slower then the new Apples: right
PCs just have L1 Cache: wrong
The most PCs have L1 + L2 Cache (for a long time) but not L3. And thats what makes the Apple that much faster.

Originally posted by hulkaros
www.macosx.com ;)
www.apple.com/hardware/ :D
www.apple.com/support/
www.macosxhints.com
www.xlr8yourmac.com
www.macfixit.com
www.barefeats.com
www.mactech.com
www.macaddict.com
www.helmug.gr (if you can read Greek :p :D )
www.macworld.com
www.macminute.com
www.macdevcenter.com/mac/
www.maccentral.com
www.apple.com/games/
www.insidemacgames.com

100% I'm missing many more but I'm writing this from my work and I don't have my bookmarks here :rolleyes: Most of the above mentioned sites are sites news too and they cover gaming stuff too... Also, most of them have forums and stuff so you will not have ANY problems to ask whatever you feel like (well, almost whatever ;) )... Nice reading! :p :D

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Its kinda hard to find good Mac/Apple sites because there are too many Win sites out there in the World Wide Web

okay I guess I'll save my money on this. But there are always some gay teachers they want to have a floppydisk with homework rather then homework via eMail. Teachers with issues. hehe

Or if you want to really let them see that you are indeed THINKING DIFFERENT go ahead and buy a USB memory stick... Maybe it will be cheaper than the USB Floppy, it will work with both Macs & Wintels (even those who say that work with Wintels only 99% work with Macs too) PLUS it will make you look SO DAMN :cool:

;)

Okay explain me please a little bit more - what exactly is the Cache for and why should it be as big as possible and is there a big difference between 1MB and 2MB?

I will try to explain it as easy as I can... Because the PowerMacs have big MHz compared to their internal I/O busses AND compared to their RAM speed, in order to let the tasks to finish ASAP with no slow downs, they have to have that L3 memory... The more L3 memory the better G4 CPUs work at higher speeds AND multitask a lot better too... However, in real life work 1MB of L3 is more than enough or if you prefer is the sweet spot... 2MB of L3 gives an additional small boost... And no L3 means that the G4 is not able to work as fast but no L3 memory means less expensive Macs! So, there about eMacs, iMacs, et al which are with no L3 memory at all... Or if you prefer is another reason to make people buy those PowerMacs instead of the puny eMacs :D ;)

Of course I am trying to be :p here and I do not know if I get through just fine :rolleyes: so let me know :D ;)

Or if you want to really let them see that you are indeed THINKING DIFFERENT go ahead and buy a USB memory stick... Maybe it will be cheaper than the USB Floppy, it will work with both Macs & Wintels (even those who say that work with Wintels only 99% work with Macs too) PLUS it will make you look SO DAMN :cool:

ohh yes ... hehe ... would look kinda cool - or like a damn Macho. But oh well. Maybe I don't need it at all, if I need it still, then I might take your advice :D

Your profile for the Mac you'll want points to several models, sorted by price:

- iMac G4
- PowerBook G4
- PowerMacintosh G4

The iMac would be a great computer, but you might want more from your new computer. Mobility? Get either the PowerBook 12" or the 15". Raw power? Get a PowerMac. You can use your old monitor with it, if you want to, to reduce the price.

However: The iMac 1 GHz seems like the machine that offers the most for its price right now. Otherwise I'd point you to the PowerBook G4 15", but we're all waiting for a new model to arrive that also sports Bluetooth and AirPort Extreme (and an Aluminum shell). So right now might not be the best time for buying the PB 15".

Originally posted by fryke
Your profile for the Mac you'll want points to several models, sorted by price:

- iMac G4
- PowerBook G4
- PowerMacintosh G4

The iMac would be a great computer, but you might want more from your new computer. Mobility? Get either the PowerBook 12" or the 15". Raw power? Get a PowerMac. You can use your old monitor with it, if you want to, to reduce the price.

However: The iMac 1 GHz seems like the machine that offers the most for its price right now. Otherwise I'd point you to the PowerBook G4 15", but we're all waiting for a new model to arrive that also sports Bluetooth and AirPort Extreme (and an Aluminum shell). So right now might not be the best time for buying the PB 15".

Thank you for your advice. I'm not too interested in the iMac. In my eyes that is great computer for families that just want to check eMails, maybe have a game for the little kids, or ... (think you know what I mean ;-)
The PowerBooks look very nice, but Notebooks ... ?! It's always another story. You can not upgrade them (or if then it is really expensive and a lot of work), it's smaller (not the 17'' from Apple, hehe) and they are more expensive.
I think the PowerMac is a good solution for me. Fast, a lot HDD space, ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back