applications OS X could use that Windows has

1. Norton Ghost ( www.symantec.com )

2. Tiny Personal Firewall ( www.tinysoftware.com )

3. TextPad ( www.textpad.com )

4. cuteFTP ( www.globalscape.com )

and ( I know I'm dreaming )

5. Oracle Enterprise Server ( 8.0.5 would be sufficient ) for Darwin

How about applications PC's could use that Mac OS X has? :D My list:

1.) Snapperhead ( www.stimpsoft.com ) Every Windows user I've showed this to wants it badly.
2.) iMovie ( www.apple.com ) This thing is so easy to use for video editing. (Also Final Cut Pro would be awesome.)
3.) Fire ( www.epicware.com ) THE BEST IM client ever. I can't live without this app, it's amazing.
4.) OmniWeb ( www.omnigroup.com ) Very nice browser, very nice ANTI-ALIASED FONTS :eek:
5.) Mac OS X itself ( www.apple.com ) I know it would be totally awesome if there was no risk for this coming out on PC.

Yes! My 100th post! ::dance:: ;)

Anti Aliased fonts in OS X are nice, but I don't think they're practical for everything, such as web browsing. Don't we have enough trouble with slow browsers as it is? :D

EDIT: 666th Post! SATAN! Daemons are Haunting Me!

Thing about that is, PC's seem to handle anti-aliasing a lot better. I could be wrong though.

Originally posted by ricky
Thing about that is, PC's seem to handle anti-aliasing a lot better. I could be wrong though.

It's no secret that Windows XP does feature a more "cleaner" way of anti-aliasing text that is newer than Mac OS X's system. I don't think it'd be harder for Apple to change this down the road in 10.3 or 10.4, though.

I don't think it'd be harder for Apple to change this down the road in 10.3 or 10.4, though.

Of course. 10.1 delivered a massive speed boost, and several sources are saying that 10.2 will do the same. I'm not surprised. dricci is right, I think that down the road Apple will find a way to dramaticallty increase the effeciency (sp?) of the anti-aliased fonts. I think that's one of the major things slowing the GUI down at the moment. :)

PC's have Fire in Trillian, which simply kicks Fire's butt. It's really nice :) Adium is still better for AOL though :)

whew

as i have watched this thread grow without reading it i have been worried that people were actually coming up with a long list of programs to answer the question. thank you friends for keeping my faith alive with your great replies about how we have everything we need.

there is one progam i would want though but have lived successfully without so far and that is Direct Cd from Roxio. I would love to be able to do packetwriting on my cdrw.

DirectCD is the PC thing that makes a CD-RW act like a hard drive and you can edit it on the fly and stuff? I have that on my PC and it is pretty useful, except its kind of slowish. I heard that they weren't going to develop it for OS 9 because it was too complicated, but they were looking into OS X. :)

It's slowish, yes, in comparison to file operations on the hard drive. But it's a lot faster than copying files to the CD-RW then erasing it (the erasing takes 30-60 minutes, IIRC). Also, you don't have to erase the whole CD to remove files. I used it like a huge floppy disk -- 580MB after formatting.

Oracle just released the beta version of 9i for OS X! Good thing for the Mac, definitely adds credibility for the Mac.

CuteFTP is kind of an odd choice...

I've used it at work and frankly, there's nothing special about it. I use NetFinder for my FTP needs, although lately I've been gravitating towards BBEdit's built-in FTP client.

At home, there is no app from Windows that I miss. At work, however, I use VPC for access, NetMeeting and a couple of other proprietary internal crap-ware.

I know access ain't going to happen (I read the same thing about 2-3 years), but you'd think we'd have NetMeeting compliant something by now...

Not that it matters much, the few times I've used NetMeeting in VPC it was more than fast enough.

Originally posted by BuddahBobb
talk about raising of the dead, eh?
Indeed, but this thread does show how much progress has been made in OS X: the firewall configuration is now built into System Prefs, FTP is now integrated into the Finder, and BBEdit was always my favorite text editor anyways :). We also now have 9i, and different amounts of text smoothing availible.

Given Symantec's traditionaly consistant but halfhearted Mac support, I think the original poster would be better off bugging Apple into making ARD more powerful and scaleable (which is an actual possibility given the XServe).

Yes, but they are not great (as of yet)... correct me if I'm wrong (I haven't applied the time to it as much as would like) but the firewall system pref in 10.2 is as great as something like Impasse (which I was using before 10.2)... allowing me to configure remote log-in from a specific ip etc.

Also, the finder ftp integration is a long way off from working properly.

BBEdit, can't be beaten though;)

There are still issues with the software companies dragging there heals with OSX support though (you've mentioned Symantec already)... but even as high up as Macromedia. It takes an expert (see www.oreilly.com) to tell them how to use Coldfusion server on OSX!

Access is the big one..sorry.....but it really is.. I studied in US and they tought Access... i lived in Italy (i am italian) and they teach and use Access i work now in Compaq / Hp here in Ireland now...and everyone seems to agree here too that access is the standard...at least for now.
I was wishing for an Access version for OS X as well ...since i am a web designer and i would really love that app to be on a mac .. but no luck... so .. i had to get on with other programs...very good indeed...but ..for me ...even if it is a M$ app....it is the easiest for me.

Andy

I must say many people do miss Access (not I), and with the frosty Apple-Microsoft relationship set to worsen, we'll probably never see. However, Apple are rumoured to making a bigger and better version of Appleworks (v7)... which already has a database application (whether it will be compatible with Access files would be another issue).

I have never needed Access, nor have my clients though. I suppose it depends on sector you work in.

Originally posted by uoba
I must say many people do miss Access (not I), and with the frosty Apple-Microsoft relationship set to worsen, we'll probably never see. However, Apple are rumoured to making a bigger and better version of Appleworks (v7)... which already has a database application (whether it will be compatible with Access files would be another issue).

I have never needed Access, nor have my clients though. I suppose it depends on sector you work in.

Access is a horrible excuse for a database program. FileMaker Pro blows it out of the water. It is one of the most frustrating pieces of junk I've ever used.

MDA

we used access in my group at work for some problem tracking databases....

it did not take long until we started loosing data, getting dropped connections from the client machines, etc., etc.

we grew up and are now using Oracle. :D

Back