applications OS X could use that Windows has

Yeah its fine for all u guys 2 say all this, but where i live *in MY real World* this is NOT the Case, and Access is the Standard in MANY Places ... i just Feel, that Access Shud be available Just like Excel and Word Are! ... After all, What if a Student here, owns a Mac, and yet (where i live for e.g.) there's NO Mac's in College/School ... OR the Macs are for Graphics Students ONLY! .. Now... the chances are their gonna be using Access...! << sigh's >>
Guys, i am looking @ this, from a Windows Perspective, Which is Different 2 u guys i imagine! ... Ah Well :confused:

NeYo

Access may be a handy little database ( please note, its not a real relational db ) for small scale work such as personal databases, or for very small business applications that don't need much security.

However, lets not forget that at the core of Apple's OSX is real BSD Unix which is capable of large-scale enterprise work! Work that happens at a volume that would bring small databases like Access to a virtual halt in seconds.

Not to mention security. Larry Elison recently stated " do you know how many Oracle databases have been broken into in the last ten years? That would be none."

mySQL and pgSQL are a step in the right direction however nothing in the free-software world can really match Oracle.

One more thing: Oracle 8i is available for free on Linux. Even if it is a nightmare to install on Linux, it's there.

How hard could it be to port Oracle from Solaris or Linux? I keep hearing from Apple advertisements how easy it is to port applications from one type of Unix to Apple's "Darwin" Unix.

With larry on Apples board, and with OS X becoming more of a player in the industry, I would think that an Oracle port is at least in the works. When it sees the light of market, I don't have any idea.

Oh and NeYo, just exactly what are you using Access as a db for?

Access ? Pouah ! Working with SQL Server 2000 is painfull enough...

Never mind. What about Net Meeting on Mac ? I know we've got conference softwares, but none is compatible with the NetMeeting protocol... And some of my friends are still fooling around with PeeCees (I know, I know...).

But what we need, is a good DivX codec, with SOUND (MP3 and AC3)... Because today, with a little PeeCee and Win98, you can watch all the DivX that you want...

Originally said by Frederic
But what we need, is a good DivX codec, with SOUND (MP3 and AC3)... Because today, with a little PeeCee and Win98, you can watch all the DivX that you want...

...hmmmm... i've never had any problems watching divx ... just get the divx codec for quicktime, and in the few rare cases where that doesn't work properly, avi2mov will do the job... i've never come across anything a pc can see but not a mac (excluding .exe files... :))

Well, ALL the DivX (.AVI) I've tried had buggy sound, and had to be converted with avi2mov... But that's not an option, because those "QuickTime DivX" (.MOV) are Mac only... Besides, where is the lengendary simplicity of the Mac, when reading a DivX is easier with a PC ?

Anyway, there are AC3 encoded DivX, on there is NO codec for those for Mac OS X (and 9). Why ?

DivX is a cheap hack. It follows broken non-official standards. This is why it's not playable on a Mac.

Wait for a real standard like Mpeg-4 enabled QuickTime/RealOne.

Access is nice if you're just starting database work. FileMaker is a *very* good alternative for it. Of course if you're converting and have many, many Access DBs around, this is a no-go, but if you just need an alternative, FileMaker does it (better even).

DivX may be a cheap hack, but although most DivX movies you can download are illegal copies, there's a *need* here. And the official MPEG4 codecs won't solve the problems there. At least until people make illegal copies of DVDs as MPEG4.

RealPlayer, although it always sucked big time, is a must. Although I'll never use it if an alternate stream (QT or WMP) is available, there are still many sites offering only RM files. And as long that's the case, a player must be a given. I understand why it takes Real so long (it's because they never really could code well for the Macintosh), but it's more than a year now to hand out a 'PLAYER' software. If they're unable to deliver, why not let Apple implement a Real codec into QuickTime?

Originally posted by ~~NeYo~~

LOL! ...maybe in U're Opinion! ... but i get the feeling, the majority of u guys are from the US! ... Well, where i Live in the UK (eng) (i'm not saying the whole the UK! ...maybe other Eng Peeps can Agree with me/ or Disagree!) ... Apple Mac's are Few and Far Between, and So not only is Windows Predominant in Schools, but as is Office! ... Now thats why, in my XP-eriences (LOL! Sorry that was LAME! LOL!!!) ... Access is the "Big One".

NeYo

I've worked for several companies that took access seriously as something more than a desktop database. They ceased to use it when they realised it wasn't scalable and had a habit of corrupting itself. Companies like the one I work for reject Access as a database on those grounds. We do use MS/SQL server though.

I've worked for several companies that took access seriously as something more than a desktop database. They ceased to use it when they realised it wasn't scalable and had a habit of corrupting itself.
Hear hear. The company I work for is using Access as a bug tracking system. Of course, there are bugs in the bug tracking system, so this is not so good. ;)

Within six months, however, we are planning to move to Oracle. We're pretty tired of company-wide emails like "The database is corrupted. Everyone exit the database so we can restore from backups. Oh, and you will lose all work since last Friday..."

Originally posted by LordOphidian
With larry on Apples board, and with OS X becoming more of a player in the industry, I would think that an Oracle port is at least in the works. When it sees the light of market, I don't have any idea.

Oh and NeYo, just exactly what are you using Access as a db for?

Hey Man, My Computing Diploma use's Access for my Database side of things, and Excel ... etc ... So MS Office is the MAIN software i use, @ College, besides Dreamweaver ... etc! ;)

See, the only Mac's @ College are for Graphics, and are G3 PowerMac's on OS 9. The more "IT" Courses are done, 95% with PeeCee's only! :(

i Just thought it'd be nice, 2 be able use a Mac, For this! ... especially as i am getting an iMac, but all my Access Work shall have 2 be done on XP! :(

Thats why i suggested it, i imagine, any1 else with Mac's in England, with the same Situation would agree with my suggestion! ... i couldn't really submit Work, from "other" software, as assignements Define what software i use! :(

... u Feel me yet guys?

NeYo

I understand where you are coming from, Neyo.

Many of my college assignments were in C++, but not just any C++. MS Visual C++. So I didn't really have a choice on my OS. Of course, I could always work in the school labs, but since I lived a half hour away I didn't enjoy coming in just to work on my projects.

Thankfully (in that situation only) I was running a Windows OS at home, so I could install MS Visual C++ and work at home.

I've had to bitch at teachers for useing code that only compiles on MS's C++ compiler before. It sucks, but once I point out to them that the code won't compile on Solaris (which is what the general purpose servers run) they usualy put the effort in to make it ANSI.

For DB's what exactly are you turning in? The db files? If so then yeah you are screwed. For most of my DB stuff i just had to turn in the SQL we used or the java code we used to interface with the DB. Maybe we would have to turn in a written explantion of our tables and things, but since my classes have always been more from the programers pov, the code was much more important than the actuall db implementation used. Maybe DBA courses would be diffrent.

Originally posted by ~~NeYo~~
Audiogalaxy! ... i Love this mp3 App! ... its on Linux ... i assume it won't work on OS X!

i'm gonna miss this App when i get my iMac!

<< this is one reason 2 keep my PC! >>

NeYo

umm search for sputnix on versiontracker its better then the audio galaxy client and it uses the servers.

Originally posted by cloudsuper

No, I can't say I do... and I really dont want to feel you, that'd be kinda..er...gross..

LOL! To Even answer in that tone makes me wanna Get My Ass against tha Wall! ...

<< Backs Away from CloudSuper! :p >>

NeYo

Back