Awsome: The Doctor Is In. Easter egg!!!

Trip

Registered
If you already knew this: why didn't you share? If you never knew this then check it out!!!

Open up Terminal and type in: emacs

Then while holding down the shift key press the escape key. Then type: x doctor

Finally typepsychotherapist: "I think I am a psyco!" and press return twice.

The screen you are currently in is AI. Real AI. You can ask it questions and let it tell you a bit about yourself. It's a virtual psychotherapist! Describe your problems to it and tada!

You're welcome!

Sweet -- kinda like the old Eliza on old, old PCs... anyone remember that?

It's not real AI, dude... just a bunch of programmed (sometimes random) responses filtering your typing and looking for sentence fragments, nouns and verbs that it can concatenate with it's own pre-programmed responses and try to make some sense. You'll see -- sometimes the things it replies with won't make much sense if you throw some complicated sentences at it.

Yea I know it's not realy AI. I just got confused for a few seconds, it's just like the coding in Q3A...where if you "talk" to a bot...it replies to certain words and filters in some of the words you typed yourself.

Still it's pretty cool if you ask me.

Now that was funny :D

I think emacs also has the towers of hanoi built in, but I dont know how to access it ;)

Admiral

Heck, it has a newsreader built in (this might just be xemacs), but danged if I could figure out how to use it.

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
I think emacs also has the towers of hanoi built in, but I dont know how to access it ;)

Admiral

Almost the same as the shrink, only instead of doctor, use hanoi...shift-Esc, x hanoi.

How to do anything with it, don't know; mine just plays by itself (with itself?).

Don't know if emacs comes with it by default, but there is a pong game in emacs, never bothered to try to access it though.

Some of the wacky stuff that comes with emacs is installed in usr/share/emacs/20.7/lisp/play. Some are games, others are supporting files (like gamegrid, which is used by snake and tetris, and is not in itself a game)
<P>
Games you'll recognize include blackbox, gomoku, tetris, solitaire, and snake.
Dunnet is a text adventure, ala Zork.
Spook is, well, kindof spooky in light of recent events.
<P>
Pong doesn't appear to be part of the install that comes with Darwin, but you can download it at <a href="http://www.gnusoftware.com/Emacs/Lisp/pong.el">http://www.gnusoftware.com/Emacs/Lisp/pong.el</a>
<P>Hell, if you really wanna get freaky, install <a href="http://sourceforge.net/projects/tnt/">TNT</a>, an AIM client for emacs!

I think the towers of hanoi are meant to be done by themselves :p

Our CS prof showed the program to use like a year ago ;)

I'm a newbie in Terminal or any kind of shell. But I really LOVE Easter Eggs and want to use this one badly.

I opened Terminal and typed in emacs then hit 'Return'. Terminal told me "emacs: Command not found."

Do I need to be in a certain directory or not hit 'Return' or what? I noticed you didn't have 'Return' or 'Enter' until the end of your message. Please help. :confused:

:eek: I just realized that this is probably installed with the developer tools, which I chose not to install. Is there a way to install just those with this crazy CD without having to reinstall the core too?

emacs should be there even w/o the dev tools:cool:

I wonder why you can get em. Did you install teh additional BSD stuff as well or no ?

No, I didn't install the BSD tools. I don't know if it matters, but I'm still on 10.0.4. I tried 10.1, but couldn't connect to the web even tho AOL connected, so I went back down to 10.0.4.

nah,
emacs has been there since the public beta :)
Just install the BSD subsystem or tools (or what ever its called in the installer :) )

This is a feature of emacs...not necessarily qualifying as an Easter Egg.

As for AI yeah it is real AI. Hollywood AI is not real AI.

LISP and LOOPS(object-oriented LISP) has been a favorite of the AI programmers.

the Towers of Hanoi is one of the first "problem solving" examples for computers.
Kind of a "hello World" of Lisp programming.

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
nah,
emacs has been there since the public beta :)
Just install the BSD subsystem or tools (or what ever its called in the installer :) )

i did not install developer tools and emac works fine for me....

wonder what that means.....:rolleyes:

Back