Best Security Suite for Mac OSX???

cgntoonartist

Registered
Hello folks,

I want to start a new conversation on the best Security Suite for Mac OSX. I know it had been discussed before in the past, but I figure with all the changes with the latest Security Suites, we can have a more up-to-date discussion that can benefit all of us.

The questions are:
1. What Internet Security Suite for Mac OSX do you use and why?

2. What do you think qualifies it as the best in the market with maximum protection and performance?

Thank you in advance for participating in this discussion!

Cheers!

1. Little Snitch

2. OpenDNS (see their instructional video) because if you block know Trojan sites they use PhishTank.com to block known Trojan sites.

This is what you need beside some common sense about not click on every email or strange link they come across. IMHO the best security phrase is "between the keyboard and the chair" rings so true it is not even funny.

I use ESET Cybersecurity. It has the anti-virus and malware protection only. Good thing about this software is it will protect both Mac and Windows (provided you don't use Boot Camp to run Windows).
Unfortunately, it is subscription based but it has delivered in stopping some nasty viruses/maleware. In addition, I run Little Snitch plus IPNetSentryX as a firewall.

Get a free trial of ESET Cybersecurity here:
http://www.eset.com/us/download/home/detail/family/29/

Hello folks,

I want to start a new conversation on the best Security Suite for Mac OSX.
2. What do you think qualifies it as the best in the market with maximum protection and performance?

I've looked at 8 or 10 different software packages for OS X security, and none, in my mind, would qualify for that "best in the market" designation.
My feeling is that the companies seem to have their own agendas, and the security of the individual user is not necessarily at the front.
Maybe that's too controversial, but just what I think...
I tend toward the combination of Little Snitch, and staying knowledgeable about using OS X firewall.

Not to sound like a naysayer, but I don't believe we'll be hearing from the OP again. He/she registered 4 years ago and this is their first post, about an extremely generic topic, using very broad, sweeping generalizations that aren't entirely true ("...but I figure with all the changes with the latest Security Suites..." -- what? What changes? What are the "latest Security Suites?" Why do they keep capitalizing "Security Suites?"), and punctuated with something that leads me to believe the OP has no intention of participating in this discussion ("Thank you in advance for participating in this discussion!").

I'd love to be proved wrong, but I believe this is simply a crappy, old baiting scam used to gauge readership and automation capabilities so that some commercial entity can come back using this account (or separate accounts) and spam the crap out of the forum.

It sounds like the same type of bait to me, ElDiablo. The newcomer to the Mac world asking for help in software recommendations for antivirus/security/Photoshop replacement/game/DVD ripping/other type of common software which has behind it a huge industry behind it, creating financial incentives for creating less than ideal software for the purpose, which often will then get the bait posts all over the internet.

For the security stuff, look at System Preferences, and tweak it to your needs. And what Satcomer recommended, Little Snitch. Good to go.

Back