Bobw Passed Away

ScottW

Founder
Staff member
It is with much sadness to inform you that Bob Wood (aka Bobw) passed away in his home last night. His son informed me of the news, and said that he was found sitting in front of his Mac, he died doing what he loved most.

Bob was a retired business owner, who spent time helping people with their computers. Bob's contribution will be sorely missed at Macosx.com, as his contribution to this site went unmatched. Back in 1997, Bob Wood joined up as a volunteer on No Wonder. Bob went on to answering the most Mac questions of anyone on the volunteer team that numbered around 1000 people and even more. In fact, he had answered several thousand more personal support questions than the next runner up. After No Wonder's acquisition, Bob stayed on board under the new ownership and continued to help out. He later came and joined Macosx.com, and has been an invaluable asset to this site. In true Bob fashion, he out-shined everyone and has answered thousands of questions here at Macosx.com in the personal support area, not including all the help and support he provided in the forums.

I don't know personally where Bob spent his time outside of Macosx.com, but I do know that he did contribute elsewhere in the community, and the Mac community lost a member who held true to the spirit of the Mac community, the deep desire to help others with their Mac.

Thank you Bob for all your dedication to the Mac Community at large. Our prayers go to Bob's family as they cope with an even more personal loss, of a father and husband.

Funeral Details

Viewing & Service: Monday, July 30 1-2pm at the James J McGhee funeral home. A small service will immediately follow starting at 2pm. Per Bob's wishes, he will be cremated and the burial will not happen until Saturday the 4th.

James J McGhee Funeral Home
690 Belmont Ave
Southampton, PA 18966 [ Map ]

Contributions/Gifts

While you are free do what you want, send flowers, etc, I believe it would be best for us to help cover funeral expenses for his family. As such, I will be collecting contributions directly, then will hand it all over to the family.

You can make a contribution here: Bobw's Funeral Expense Fund

Here at Macosx.com and at No Wonder, we will honor Bobw with renaming "The Cafe" forum to a name suited for him, and put his avatar on the forum. This is partially done, but the name has not been finalized. Bob has done so much for all of us, all of this is the least we could do for such a great man.

My love goes out to his family and friends. Bob was an infinitely knowledgable asset to our website, and probably the most active contributor of anybody that has ever visited here. I'm sure that his outside life was just as involved.

Our prayers go out to him and his family.

Even though I've only been here for about half a year, I learned quickly how good BobW was at tech support and how nice he was.

My prayers as well go out to his family and friends.

Aw. All the best to his family, of course. He was an integral part of this community here. I'll miss him. :/

I've not been here long, but Bob was one of the guys who helped with sound advice on every occasion. He will be missed.

My condolences to his family.

All my thoughts go to his family and his friends. Bobw was an important value in our small community on macosx.com.

When i would see the Cowboy Avatar in the threads...
there was Bobw with incontestable advise and community altruism for macosx.com.

Thank you BobW (MacOS-X Mar 2001 to Apr 24 2007), you will be missed.

My best to your family and friends.

CaribbeanOS-X

:)

My prayers to the family. As we mourn the loss of such a knowledgeable and personable tech, he is probably asking St. Peter for a Mac.

Bobw, you will be missed. Thank you for your wondrous wisdom.

My condolences and prayers to his family and his friends.

This just hit me like a ton of bricks. :(

Yes, I know what you mean. When I get a voicemail from Bob's son to call him back, I didn't figure he was calling to have me come to a surprise birthday party he was planning for his dad. While I thought the news could be what it was, I was thinking maybe it would be something not as drastic.

My grandfather's brother died about two weeks ago, his sister, died last week. While I didn't know either very well, it seems a little ominous.

6 years of service sure is a lot for an online forum.
Yah, same with me, first wen I saw there was a big box at the top of the forum, I thought they were shutting down MacOSX.com, then I saw the title and I was oh crap and it took a second to realise what had happened.

Bob my prayers go out to you in the great Tech Mac sky. I can't give enough praise about your life but you gave all your knowledge basically asking for nothing in return. To me you are one of the increasing rarity of person who thought of others first. I know the Mac world will be missing you and I suspect everyone you touched over the years is mourning now. Rest in peace cowboy.

Scott if you are throwing together some flowers or something along that line please let us know.

I was really shocked and saddened to hear this. It is a very sad day when a member of the community passes away. I'll always remember Bobw's familiar avatar and his helpful style. He represented "one of the old guard" to me and it was somehow reassuring to have him around.

My thoughts and prayers and with his family.

Originally Posted by Satcomer
Scott if you are throwing together some flowers or something along that line please let us know.
I agree with this sentiment.

Me too. If we can do that little for his family.

Wow, this was somewhat unexpected. Bob and I often butted heads when I was active here, but he was always a great guy to have on these forums, knowledgable and standing for the voice of reason. I am sure this community will not be the same without him.

Scott, do you happen to know how he went? What finally got him?

Scott, do you happen to know how he went? What finally got him?

Power surge? No idea Arden. Probably stress from when you gave him a hard time. His son didn't know at the time, and I don't know if they will perform a autopsy or not, or if it will forever remain a mystery.

Scott

Back