Bootcamp or VMware Fusion?

Rhisiart

Registered
I don't expect anyone to tell me that one is better than the other, but I am interested to know whether people have tried both and what their experiences are?

I had already partitioned my MacBook Pro hard disk into two volumes. Volume 1 has MacOSX 10.6.2 installed. Is it possible to install Windows via Bootcamp on volume 2?

No, if you used Disk Utility to do make the second partition.
If you used your Boot Camp utility to make the second partition, then, Yes, that's the only way to create a Boot Camp partition.
Boot Camp will only work if your boot drive has a single partition.

The major difference between Boot Camp, and VMWare (as well as other virtualization solutions) - you restart your Mac to change from OS X to Windows on your Boot Camp partition. VMWare simply runs Windows as an application, without restarting.

I used to use both.

Bootcamp was better for gaming as the machine is 100% available for Windows.

Fusion is much simpler for Office work.

On my own Mac I use only VMware Fusion, no Boot Camp.
My other half has both (and Parallels too, on one Mac).
At work I had Boot Camp on some Macs, mostly for testing - and Fusion on all Macs.

It very much depends on what you do and how.
I'm not a gamer so I don't use Boot Camp - I guess games and some graphical apps would be the main difference for actually needing Boot Camp.

I used to be a big fan of Simcity many years ago. I have version 3 for PC and I'm tempted .... But no, following the above comments I think I'll stick with VMware Fusion. I only need it to test out web sites on Windows. If I use Bootcamp I could end up wasting my time gaming!

... is it preferable to use non-original windows cd as our windows partition...??
By "non-original windows cd," do you mean a pirated copy of Windows? If so, then assistance with and discussion of software piracy on this forum are not permitted.

I'm currently running a mac, but would like to be able to run Windows applications on the same machine. I own a copy of Windows XP disks. I'm just wondering, what is the best option for running Windows on my Mac? I've heard of Wine, BootCamp, VMware Fusion, and Parallels, but have no idea what to choose from. BootCamp I know comes with Leopard (I'm upgrading to Snow Leopard from tiger within the week), Wine is free, and VMware Fusion and Parallels are each $80. My real question is, which one(s) will run Windows the BEST? VMware Fusion and Parallels both look nice because you run Windows within Mac OSX, but does that cut down on performance?

Samsung BD-C6900 1080p 3D Blu-ray Disc Player

Last edited:
With virtualization software (Parallels, Fusion), you will not have to reboot your machine in order to use Windows.

With Boot Camp, you must reboot your machine to use Windows, but it may be slightly faster than virtualization.

Personally, I use VirtualBox -- it's a virtualization software that is relatively fast, and to boot, it's free:

www.virtualbox.org

Back