Can't drag or drop my folders or files on Mac.

mr. parker

Registered
All of my folders and files won't move...they all appear locked or stuck in place. I can select them and open them up...but I can't drag or move them anywhere.

I've run disk first aid on the computer and off the cd...but to no avail. It says everything is fine. I've tried switching account users and that didn't work either. I'm truly at a loss on what I need to do to fix this.

If anyone could offer any advice or point me in the right direction...I'd truly appreciate it.

What mode of viewing are you in? Is it column, list or icon view? To change the way they are arranged go into icon view mode. Then go into the folder you want to arrange. Then go to the Finder menu item VIEW-> SHOW VIEW OPTIONS. Then select the way you want then to be arranged and select if you want it system wide or not. Then go back to your desired view mode.

What mode of viewing are you in? Is it column, list or icon view? To change the way they are arranged go into icon view mode. Then go into the folder you want to arrange. Then go to the Finder menu item VIEW-> SHOW VIEW OPTIONS. Then select the way you want then to be arranged and select if you want it system wide or not. Then go back to your desired view mode.

I usually prefer column...but either way I view them...they just won't move. I can select the folders and/or any files...and even open them up...but I can't move or drag a single one. This is effecting every folder or file on my Mac...they just won't budge.

Select your hard drive and 'Get Info' on it (command + I). Go to Ownership/Permissions/Details and make sure you have Read Write access for 'Owner' and 'Group' and for 'Others' make sure it's 'Read Only'.

If you have more permissions issues, you might want to make sure your user account is an 'Admin' account: System Prefs/Accounts (look at your account, should say 'admin' under it).

Select your hard drive and 'Get Info' on it (command + I). Go to Ownership/Permissions/Details and make sure you have Read Write access for 'Owner' and 'Group' and for 'Others' make sure it's 'Read Only'.

If you have more permissions issues, you might want to make sure your user account is an 'Admin' account: System Prefs/Accounts (look at your account, should say 'admin' under it).

I've set everything to those settings...still no luck. One question about this though. Regarding the 'Get Info' for my HD...what should I have selected for the Owner...should I use my Account Admin Name...or System?

'Owner' is 'system' and 'Group' is 'admin'.

Is your user account an Admin account?

Can you create a new folder on your desktop?

'Owner' is 'system' and 'Group' is 'admin'.

Is your user account an Admin account?

Can you create a new folder on your desktop?

Yes...my user account is an Admin account...just checked.

I can create a new folder...just not move it around. Everything else on the Mac is running perfect...except being able to drag / move files or folders.

hmmm. I remember a problem like this with 10.2-ish, but nothing since then.
I doubt the fix for that OS version would apply here.

Select any recalcitrant document/folder and "get info" on it.
What does it say about the access privileges?
Now do the same on the parent (the folder containing the file/folder you just checked.
What are the access privileges?

Are you comfortable with the Terminal.app?
You could check the permissions for those items from there as well (might be more informative).

Install anything new? Play with ACLs (sandbox fiddling)?

I don't know how many X11, unix type, command line... apps you have installed on the machine, but if all else fails, archive and install (preserving user accounts) the OS and see if that doesn't fix it.

Could be an OS X system issue. This article (for system 10.2.4, granted) recommends a reinstall of os x:
http://www.maclife.com/forums/post/666390

Have you repaired permissions yet? This might shake the problem loose:
apps/utilities/disk utility/repair permissions

You could also just create a new user account (delete it later) and call it TEST. You can then figure out if there's something wrong with your user account to make this drag/drop error happen.

Ya know I've heard good things about Dragster 1.6...but everytime I try and download it from a site...all I get is page not found or something to that extent. Does anyone know where I can find a working copy of it? Who knows...it might help. Otherwise I might try an Archive Install and see if that works.

I have repaired permissions many times and that hasn't helped either. Tried a new user account to...but that didn't seem to be the problem either. I'm not to familiar with Terminal so I'm kind of hesitant to try it.

Use this script - copy/paste in in your Applescript Editor;
===================================

set uid_ to do shell script "/usr/bin/id -u"

set ls_cache_file_ to ":Library:Caches:com.apple.LaunchServices-014" & uid_ & ".csstore" as string

try

set ls_cache_file_ to alias ls_cache_file_

on error

display dialog "Sorry, could not locate Launch Services cache file" default button 2

end try

tell application "Finder"

activate

set window_ to make new Finder window to ls_cache_file_

display dialog "Move the selected file to the Trash and then restart your Mac."

end tell
========================================

Run from that window.

Well...I ended up backing up all my files and doing an erase and install...problem fixed! I hated to have to take it to that extreme...but at least everything has worked out. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the advice. Now I'm off to install all my applications and put all my backed up files back on.

J
All of my folders and files won't move...they all appear locked or stuck in place. I can select them and open them up...but I can't drag or move them anywhere.

I've run disk first aid on the computer and off the cd...but to no avail. It says everything is fine. I've tried switching account users and that didn't work either. I'm truly at a loss on what I need to do to fix this.

If anyone could offer any advice or point me in the right direction...I'd truly appreciate it.
just try restarting your computer the same thing happens to me all the time an I've tried everything an only thing that works is restarting

2 things:
1.The OP, and the rest of the thread, was from 9 years ago, and fixed (in his case) by a backup and reinstall...
Much of what the OS X system does is quite different now from the OP's situation, even though it may seem similar to yours.
(The OPs OS X version 10.4.8 was updated several times after that time until release of later systems, and performance was often an issue with early released of Tiger - hard to remember now :D )
However -
2. Your "fix" seems temporary, so - similar to the OP, a reinstall may be something that you can consider, too.

Move an item: Drag it, then drop it where you want it. To copy the item instead of moving it, hold down the Option key while you drag and drop. Add an item to the Dock: Drag it to the Dock. Place apps to the left of the separator line, and files and folders to the right

Move an item: Drag it, then drop it where you want it. To copy the item instead of moving it, hold down the Option key while you drag and drop. Add an item to the Dock: Drag it to the Dock. Place apps to the left of the separator line, and files and folders to the right
OK, I'll ask.... ;)
What do you do if none of those "drag n drop" items work? This is where the OP is (or was, Nine years ago :rolleyes: )

Back