cdr driver for Matshita CR-587-Drive

jdd1

Registered
Anyone know of a OSX 10.4.2 driver that will work with the Matshita CR-587-Drive? Took iot from my beige G3 and would like to add it to my Dual G4.
Possible to do?

The G4 recognizes the drive but I need a driver.

Help please.

Thank you

jdd1

That drive should work for you. There are no drivers, aside from the OS X native drivers. There are some older CD drives that just can't work with a newer system, but I don't know if the CR-587 would be one of those.

Is the Matshita CR-587 CDROM drive installed in the bay beneath the (unknown model) dual G4's originally installed CD / DVD drive? If so, is the CR-587 configured as a 'slave' drive? If not, do such.

Pioneer DVD (DVR-107D) is configured as the MAster and the
Matshita is the slave.
Shouldn't both drawers just open simultaneously when hitting the eject button?
The machine recognizes the drive in Apple Profiler. I asssume it needs a driver to
suppoort it as Tiger may not include a compatible driver. Any ideas?

Thanks!!

'Shouldn't both drawers just open simultaneously when hitting the eject button?', no.
Use 'Ardiem' to configure a key to open and close the CD-587's tray.

With or without 'Ardiem', open the (now configured as a 'slave') CD-587's tray, insert a CD, and close the tray - does the CD's icon on the 'Desktop'? If not, try the test below.

----

You still have not listed specifically which PowerMac G4 model you have.

As a test ...
Turn OFF the PowerMac G4.
Remove the DVD (DVR-107D) and place it aside.
Remove the Matshita CR-587 and configure it as a 'master'.
Insert the CR-587 into the upper bay (where the DVR-107D originally was)
Turn ON the PowerMac G4.
Place a CD into the CR-587's tray and close.

If the CD is recognized and its inserted CD's contents viewable, then you confirmed your PowerMac G4 only allows a removable media device (CDROM, CD burner, DVDROM, DVD burner, etc.) as a 'master' only.

Report your observations.

Ardiem works! CD is recognized.
2 CD drives obviously cannot be Masters so the Dual G4 867 was designed to only allow 1 CD drive? That doesn't seem possible but, nothing surprises me at 52yrs.

Jdd1

Also jdd1 I am going to suggest something you can use when you want to add any hardware to your Mac. There is a web site that has a database of many user adventures for Mac hardware upgrades from around the world. The web site is Accelerate Your Mac and if you look at their menu there is the "database" tab. The one database choice is for their Drive Compatibility. If you just plug into your information you can view those reports that also have hints and tricks amended to most every report. It is a real good database for hardware upgrades.

Back