Cleaning iBook, iKlean etc. merged thread

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
What's the different between the two? Which one works better? I'm not so concerned with my iBook's screen (that comes clean with a lint-free cloth dampened with a bit of water), but I'm more concerned about removing body oils, smudges, dicoloration, etc. from the hand rests on either side of my trackpad.

Thanks!

I have never used iClean, but I have iKlear and have used it with great results on my old iBook, and my powerbook.

Streaks? Where? On the screen? Or on the hand rests? I'm not concerned about the screen, as I will not be using any cleaning products on that part (only water with a lint-free cloth). What I would like to do is remove the ugly discoloration on the white part (hand rests) on either side of my trackpad.

Oh, I see what you mean.

I used OmniCleanz (pretty much like iClear and iKlean) to clean both the white parts on my iBook and the screen. Did a great job on both, but left some streaks on the screen.

rhisiart said:
Oh, I see what you mean.

I used OmniCleanz (pretty much like iClear and iKlean) to clean both the white parts on my iBook and the screen. Did a great job on both, but left some streaks on the screen.
If it leaves streaks, I wouldn't consider it a "great job." But that's just me. Maybe I'm too picky. :D

Amie said:
If it leaves streaks, I wouldn't consider it a "great job." But that's just me. Maybe I'm too picky. :D
Yea, but I'm a guy - we just don't get it in the cleaning department.:(

rhisiart said:
Yea, but I'm a guy - we just don't get it in the cleaning department.:(
Aw ... don't insult yourself with superficial, untrue stereotypes.

rhisiart said:
Are you kidding? I thrive on insulting myself. Its what keeps me happy.
Really! Well, if insults keep you happy, then ... have a great day, you ugly bastard.

I can't remember if it's called iKlean or iClear--it's whichever one they sell at the Apple store. Anyway, has anyone here with an iBook used it? Did it make a big difference in removing the smudges and body oil discoloration from either side of the trackpad mouse on the white iBook? Looking for a good cleaner to take care of this. I don't need anything to clean the rest of my computer (for my screen I just use a lint-free cloth and a bit of water, and for the keyboard I use compressed air and wipe it down the same water-dampened lint-free cloth). I just need a good cleaner for the white plastic parts on either side of the trackpad mouse. So far, I've tried three different brands, which I bought from CompUSA and Circuit City--they all made no difference whatsoever.

I use iClear ... got once the bottle of it. It lasts for a very long time, and works as it should. So have used it so far with iBook, PowerBooks, MacBook Pro and a MacBook, an iMac and a few displays. The results are good - I would not feel good trying to use just water-dampened lint-free cloth to get all the fingerprints etc out of the screen, with that stuff it's just way easier.

Yeah, but some of those cleaners contain elements that will leave a filmy residue on the screen. Water is just plain safe. And it gets the job done. My screen never gets a chance to get really dirty because I clean it once a week.

Thanks for the brand name. Going to the Apple store and picking up a bottle of iClear.

i'd say its just isopropyl alcohol, you could save heaps of $$$ from buying it at the supermarket!

Oh, and you shoudln't use any solvent on your lcd - apple actually states to use a damp cloth, it causes no problems!

mattsuzu said:
i'd say its just isopropyl alcohol, you could save heaps of $$$ from buying it at the supermarket!

Oh, and you shoudln't use any solvent on your lcd - apple actually states to use a damp cloth, it causes no problems!
:eek:

Apple says not to use anything that contains alcohol or amonia. Period. That means on NO part of the computer. At least, that's what I thought it meant. Am I wrong? Is alcohol safe for cleaning that part of the iBook? Will it take the smudges off?

The question rather is: Will it take something _else_ off, as well. It'll certainly help the smudges. But if it damages the screen or other parts...

fryke said:
The question rather is: Will it take something _else_ off, as well. It'll certainly help the smudges. But if it damages the screen or other parts...
As I said in my original post, I use only a lint-free cloth slightly dampened with water for the screen and other parts of my iBook. The alcohol in question was directly in reference to the hand rest area on either side of the trackpad mouse. That's the only place I'd use it--to take the smudges off.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
You are kidding, right? Alcohol is a solvent. Water is also a solvent.

Research, my friend, research: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/solvent
I've never heard of using "no solvents," but I have heard/read Apple state "do not use anything containing alcohol or amonia." Nothing about water, though.

If you don't use water, which I would think is the least invasive, what do YOU recommend for cleaning an iBook???

Amie said:
If you don't use water, which I would think is the least invasive, what do YOU recommend for cleaning an iBook???
Water is easily the safest thing to use, just think about it. What manufacturer will build a product using plastics which are damaged by water?

I use a dampened soft cloth, with a drop or two of dishwashing detergent mixed in. Wring it to make sure the detergent is mixed thoroughly, squeeze it nearly dry, and wipe things down till the cloth comes away clean.

Then take a fresh damp cloth and use it to wipe once again.

I've done this for years.

Back