Colour iPod (merged thread)

I don't see the problem personally. OK it may drop the battery life a little, but colour screens are dirt cheap o it wont affect the bottom line much. I recall well when everyone said they didn't want colour screens for their mobiles phones as it would lower the battery life and be pointless; not only has there not been a significant drop in battery life, but there's very few phones out there without colour now.

It may be pointless, but it'll look good, and let's face it- iPods sell because of their looks. I honestly can't see how you can knock this decision.

A colour screen need not be a "bad upgrade" as some previous posters seem to think.
The important thing to keep in mind is that it may not be a big upgrade either. It is perfectly possible that Apple have just come up with a slightly redesigned, slightly nicer looking colour version of the iPod user interface and that they are adding a colour screen so they can roll that colour menu into the actual player. Hardly earth-shattering to most old iPod fans, but dismissing it out of hand -- without having seen it -- is silly.
gigapet said:
To display album covers?
That's very possible. Again, hardly earth-shattering, but a nice little added mini-feature nonetheless.

Besides, what with the current advance of colour LCDs (and according retreat of monochrome displays) it's also very possible that Apple got a cheaper price on colour LCDs at the volume they are purchasing.

bruceyoung said:
First priority would be FM receiver and voice recording
I STRONGLY disagree:

- An FM receiver should be an optional add-on. In several European countries, people have to pay a "radio license" as soon as they even OWN any number of radios. This is a kind of hidden tax, to support public broadcasting services. Now I happen to not own any radio receiver and I don't want one (in part out of protest over this silly tax -- but that's a different debate altogether, plus I can listen to radio on the Internet). If the next iPod contained an FM receiver that would prevent me from buying one.
Also, I generally prefer "clean, lean and mean" devices, where there isn't a slew of possibly unwanted features rammed down the user's throat. Let peeps who actually WANT an FM receiver buy one. Separate ones are of course available and while it might be possible to design one as an iPod add-on, the only benefit from that would be that the FM receiver could thus be controlled using the same familiar interface. Maybe www.griffintechnology.com will build one if enough people ask them.

- Voice recorders are already available as optional add-ons from both Belkin (reportedly so-so) and the aforesaid Griffin technology (reportedly pretty darn great) -- www.griffintechnology.com/products/italk.

I personally would not necessarily be all that keen on the addition of (more) PDA features. -- See what I wrote above on "clean" devices.

I'm inclined to belive it, because the iPod isn't just a music player: it's also a fashion accessory. Young glitzy people of the bling-bling persuasion will want to customise it with funny/cool graphics, i.e. unneccesary features. A color screen can just about be the "wow" factor that makes them prefer the iPod over others.
While th color isn;t necessary to play music, think about visual oscilloscope effects, games, calendar and notes, and eventually maybe extra functions such as image preview, iTunes like visuals, etc.
If the hardware/firmware is adapted accordingly you might even use it as a PVR someday.

... and maybe, just maybe ... think about the GamePod ... :D
We've already got the GameBoy, the 'nGage, the PSP ... who knows?

I remember when some talked like a few of the above about color televisions and printers. Ahhh, progress.

ScottW said:
Our sources have confirmed the next generation iPod will have a color screen. The new iPod will not be much different in form and function from the current models, but the primary difference is the color screen. Other details about the iPod are scetchy on our end but the fact it will be color is not up for debate. We are sorry we don't have more information to provide or details concerning the screen itself, but when it does come out or other rumors abound of it, just remember you heard it here first.

Other rumors speculate about an upcoming iPod to support video and other features. Although these appear to just be rumors at this time, our sources where not privy to that information nor are we.

macosx.com staff

nice news...
BUt
correct me if im wrong.... didnt u guys here at macosx.com claim some 'confirmed' rumours about a macBox or somethin that would be anounced at last years keynote ??? u got quite a lot of publicity on the web, such as macrumors.com etc...
i remember u even set up a fake contest, where members would win that 'certain product' after the keynote when it would have been released.
that product never came to life, despite 'confirmed' sources....

however the site got good publicity ! is this somethin of the same ?

Lets not forget that they are trying to get more and more storage onto those little disks they use for the minis - if they achieve this in any significant way (doubling the capacity or similar) then you could build a lot more widgets into the existing iPod form factor by using the iPod Mini HDs, including a bigger battery, more screen components, WiFi maybe, maybe even a bigger screen full-stop.
Granted, video on even a double sixed iPod screen would still be small, but even M$ are working on a similar device, or so I've heard. Apple want to sell the 'digital life'-style. If you can carry your music around on an iPod, why not your film collection? No-one says you have to watch it on the iPod, but if legally downloaded films direct from the studio or distributors are on the way, why not be able to store them on an iPod? If there's any iPhoto or similar functionality built in to the next model, then I'll bet you dollars for doughnuts you'll be able to connect it directly to your TV for easy viewing of your photos - you can already do it on digital cameras after all, and buy cables to connect your 'pod to a normal stereo, so why not? And if you can hook it to your TV, why not be able to watch video files on the TV, played directly from the 'pod? You're not really supposed to be able to copy the contents of someones iPod even now, so copyright would hardly be an issue....

Just thinking aloud, y'unnerstan'....

I think a colour screen would make it look a little tacky (especially if you could add you own wallpapers, etc). It would take away from the chic design of the unit.

gimp said:
I don't think it will be a good idea, I'm sure it will hammer the battery life, as it did with all the pda market when they went to color screens.

well they are working on new fuelcell battery`s so should not be a problem combining new technologies

Good,
I hope it is an IPOD A/V that includes DV capture direct from a DVCamcorder (no more tapes.) Also, maybe let the iSight clip onto the top, add wireless internet access to the thing, and you have handheld video conferencing as well. The screen then coud also be used as an LCD display if you did want to record with the iSight. It could be the new techie equivalent of a leatherman or swiss army knife.

--justin

ScottW said:
Our sources have confirmed the next generation iPod will have a color screen. The new iPod will not be much different in form and function from the current models, but the primary difference is the color screen. Other details about the iPod are scetchy on our end but the fact it will be color is not up for debate. We are sorry we don't have more information to provide or details concerning the screen itself, but when it does come out or other rumors abound of it, just remember you heard it here first.

Other rumors speculate about an upcoming iPod to support video and other features. Although these appear to just be rumors at this time, our sources where not privy to that information nor are we.

macosx.com staff

haffordj said:
Good,
I hope it is an IPOD A/V that includes DV capture direct from a DVCamcorder (no more tapes.) Also, maybe let the iSight clip onto the top, add wireless internet access to the thing, and you have handheld video conferencing as well. The screen then coud also be used as an LCD display if you did want to record with the iSight. It could be the new techie equivalent of a leatherman or swiss army knife.

--justin

Bloody hell, what a nightmare. Anything else? Perhaps a rocketlauncher attachment? :rolleyes:

I'm not sure where that linked also got posted to about the screen, but when I logged in this morning there were over 600 people viewing this link. I don't think I've ever seen more than 80 at the same time. This really link needs to go to the cafe... or show us a link to some proof, just like all the other moderator/thugs say. Plus a color screen has been rumored since the first came out. A good rumor would be "new battery technology allows ipod to recharge battery every time ipod moves" or the ability to store coupon bar codes on the ipod and then display the bar code on your screen at checkout at the local store so they can scan them. Or that apple will allow universities to distribute class lecture notes on private areas of ipod that students can download and place in there ipods. But then again you guys did what you planned to do bring in the crowds and you certainly did...probably will allow for a 5 - 10% increase in ad revenue... cheereO!

Guys understand that a colour screen is useful to 100% of us : to the 1% of us who want it, and to the 99% of us who want a price drop in the non-colour models ;)

The only reason I could see apple would integrate a color screen would be for games!!!! What if developers could actually right games for the ipod, yes the controls are a bit awkwards but with the new mini wheel much easier for up, down, left, right. With a hard drive player, color screen capability as well as a 32 mb buffer, heck game developers would have a hayday. Look out Gameboy and the new Sony PS2 handheld. Yes the screen is alarmingly tiny but that's what the mini is for and its 256 color screen. It's big brother and its 256k color screen could also be enlarged about 20% while still fitting within the ipod. Apple could probably slim down the bottom 1/2 of the ipod a fraction or so and inflate the top have a bit creating a more sno cone effect to the pod. This would also help with holding the machine. But in all reality it's not going to happen but the screen should have been on the bottom and the scroll wheel on top. Hold your hand out as if you were going to hold an ipod shaped device, even one that was more conicle. Your hand, palm creates more of and cone shape and your thumb where the scroll wheel would be is actually at the top of the device not the buttom. So, we actually have to stretch to use the scroll wheel in these old devices. Yes, the ipod is probably the only mp3 player I can use with one hand with my eyes closed(except for switching on and off the hold button since I'm lefty and can get my fingers up there and it slips when its a bit moist. But I think Apple nows it has years of perfection left in our beloved ipods and we wait with bated breath to see what the new ipod division brings out.

If OS X is named after cats will OX XI be named after dogs and will the first incarnation be known as Clarus?

Heck when apple realeased the Mac II back in 87 I still couldn't afford and SE. If they do realease a color ipod they may just chop off the 499 40 gig ipod and have 1 mini at 4 (still have all the colors, still at 249) 20 gig ipod at 299 40 gig ipod at 399 and the color 60 gig at 499 though it still may be a 40 gig with a color screen for 499 and do away with the additional 20 gigs of storage cause that would be an awesome upgrade more storage and a color screen for less money, not going to happen. The one thing I hate about these inexpensive color screens is that they are butt slow and their resolutions are nowhere as crisp as a good monochrome lcd. Why do you think after 20 years very very few digital watches dont have color screens, because it would be to hard on the eyes.

macgirl912 said:
Maybe Apple is trying to keep up with new competition.

I agree. Even though color is not necessary, it helps Apple hold mindshare and marketshare as the leader. If others are moving to color and Apple doesn't, they will be seen as falling behind in features. So I think it would serve an important marketing function at least.

Chris

Back