Colour iPod (merged thread)

WELL I AM ALMOST CERTAIN that apple will release a color iPod with some more features such as viewing pics and so forth. I mean if sony copied us with a iPod wannabe and did it: http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/05/10/sony/

why can't we make ours color? But wait a min..Apple doesn't just keep up with competition, apple blows the competition away, meaning the ability to view pictures and some other features in the next generation of iPods.

Also keep in mind at the WWDC 2004 the H.264/AVC (Advanced Video Coding), also known as MPEG-4 Part 10, which gives u better quality at a smaller size. <-- For all of us whose worried about quality as well as space. And lets stop and think, if cell phones can display pictures in color on a tiny screen, why can't the almighty iPod? MUAHAHHAHAHAA

Natobasso said:
All I can say is, remember the Newton?! He he. Apple is either backing into the PDA realm with the iPod or converting it to a mini-computer at the hub of the Airport Express revolution.

Good scoop, site founder. :)

Too right!!!!!

A PDA as most know it is dull and boring. Somone also said about the Newton once, it was to advanced or just not ready for the market yet or somthing like that. But when you introduce things like, Hmmmmm Music? Video? A huge capacity? Phone functionality, etc. then believe me its an iPod killer, one damn good one. But i still love my iPod.

Randman said:
Hmmm, 0-2 on predictions.

Well... no 60GB model announced and apple ordered 60gb drives... hmmm... I don't think this story has ended in a loss just yet.

Nothing has been announced yet. So we're 0 for 0 so far until Apple actually introduces the thing we're all clamoring about. A premature Newsweek story doesn't count as evidence in my book -- Apple's gotta release the damn thing first.

I still think the backlight color will be customizable. Monochrome screen, blue/red/yellow/green backlight. A color screen: yes; but not in the sense we were expecting.

ScottW said:
Our sources have confirmed the next generation iPod will have a color screen. The new iPod will not be much different in form and function from the current models, but the primary difference is the color screen. Other details about the iPod are scetchy on our end but the fact it will be color is not up for debate. We are sorry we don't have more information to provide or details concerning the screen itself, but when it does come out or other rumors abound of it, just remember you heard it here first.

Other rumors speculate about an upcoming iPod to support video and other features. Although these appear to just be rumors at this time, our sources where not privy to that information nor are we.

macosx.com staff

040717_IpodNew_vl.vlarge.jpg

hahahahahahaha...

ScottW said:
Well... no 60GB model announced and apple ordered 60gb drives... hmmm... I don't think this story has ended in a loss just yet.

yeah ok. eventually the iPod will have a colour screen...

but guess what. it doesnt count if it comes out in 2 years cause that will be the 4th or 5th generation iPod.

the fact is u were proven wrong once i again.

i advice the macosx.com staff to think again before posting any confirmed info!!!

ElDiabloConCaca said:
I still think the backlight color will be customizable. Monochrome screen, blue/red/yellow/green backlight. A color screen: yes; but not in the sense we were expecting.

from Apple.com:
ipodclickimage20040719.jpg

ha ha ha ha....

Don't be so harsh on him... it does seem to have some what of a bluish tint to the screen. He, is right the 60 will have some different functionality otherwise Apple would have released it concurrently with a 30 day window. Though, they may also be saving those 60Gigs for HP only... gosh I hope not. Who knows. If Toshiba is pushing out 150k of the 60's a month and its been about 2 months since apple has been hoarding them, I can't see Apple seeling 500,000 60G ipods unless... it had a color screen and some other way cool functionality. 500,000 of them couldn't sell in the snap of a finger, otherwise they would have been released now!!!!!!'

Either the 60G is going to be released for the HP first in 30 days and HP told Apple we need 500k of these in stock.

or

Apple is saving these for a new!!! product Digital Camera/Motion Camera with a built in 60G drive

or

less likely...Apple is hoardig these at 150k a month at the highest prices toshiba is selling so that a 60G music only player sometime in the future will be released(very unlikely)

I think it was the brazen way that they'd put out a "absolute, confirmed fact" without any substantiation, details, or any sort of reliable info - then paraded it around with a sticky thread, emails out to the world regarding this "exclusive announcement", etc. that got people a bit irritable... Not so much that we're generally all a-holes (okay, some of us are =)

yeah. for a "confirmed" but not really known much detail about thing, they went way overboard. and the next generation of ipods don't have a color screen, so it wasnt a reliable source.

there's never been a "reliable source" unless you include baseless speculation as your "source"... if that's the case, I got a few good ones.

Like the return of the Cube. You heard it here first ;)

This is a rumors site! No where does it says news fit to print... this is the Star or Enquirer of the macintosh world and everyone gets upset, jeez. If he's smart he makes a little money out of it buy buying and selling stock at certain periods in time. Yes it's illegal but most are a little more cunning then Martha Stewart. 10 years ago we loved putting up claims on the net like Apple has bought global village or the recent Universal music, that is our job, that is how we make money. If I can make a dime or two often someone else's gullible way's so be it. It's not just the Apple shareholders being taken for a ride it's other companies to so if you want good news that is mostly accurate read the Times or the Journal. The only problem is that news is already a day old so who's going to make money off day old news. It's like getting yesterdays lottery numbers who cares. But if I told you that I knew tomorrows numbers today you would listen, at least for a while until you caught on that I was just pulling out of my @$$

We kinda thought that already in that other thread, mi5moav. ;-)

But rumours shouldn't be wild guessing, it should be the right mix of true inside information with intelligent guessing, or even better true inside information with other true inside information.

It's of course sad that the two rumours this site 'officially' 'confirmed' did turn out to be perfectly untrue, but it's like that, anyway...

And just to put things right... No, mi5moav, this is _NOT_ a rumours site. It's a Mac-centric bulletin board. This forum (News, Rumours & Discussion) _contains_ the discussion of rumours, however, I have yet to see a rumour that is actually becoming true originate here... ;-)

bigbadbill said:
Guess your sources where wrong:
http://www.apple.com/ipod/

notice a "3rd" option is not availible ? 60gb+color screen in 6 months is easily forseable...
buisness is not about the people. its about the money. why not introduce a new ipod, then a BETTER one later? you will have people that will dump the old and jump to the new like that.... apple isn't for cheapskates remember.

Just got a new 20gb IPod. I LOVE it. The click wheel is so much nicer then the touch sensative one. The face is also less cluttered now.

Back