Congrats to RacerX

he he

my family was never into roughing it either. all my camping expereinces were either in boy scouts or with friends. I don't think i have been out to the desert more than a few times myself, but all were very memorable (which is saying alot considering all i was doing to confuse my memory in those days:p )

so you had one of those square porsches. i always associate them with the targa series. but i really don't know much about porsches. and while i used to know more, it is one of those 'use it or lose it' kinds of topics for me.:D

That is quite a beautiful model Racer.
If you put this one next to it, you can see some commonalities in line design.
I love those old designs. There's some much character in them.

Attachments

• spider2000.jpg
    spider2000.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 10
Ed, I actually had a 911 Targa and a 911 Coupe (and another silver 914, but I used it for parts for my blue one). My Dad had an olympic blue 911 Targa when I was growing up, which got me started on them I think. Funny thing was that after the first year of having my 914 (back in 1987) I really didn't take the top off that much.

Klink, a friend of mine had one of those once. I have always stuck with cars with roll bars though. One of my relatives was killed in a rollover accident in a convertable.

By the way, why haven't we been seeing more of you around lately?

Sorry to hear of such tragedy. Convertibles aren't the safest cars you can buy are they? The whole car scares me when we're talking about accidents. I feel if I get into an accident that intense, I'm sure it would be fatal, roll bar or not. The way the roll bar would be mounted on those cars would be to the floor pan and wheel well which are very thinly constructed and wouldn't hold up to the weight of the car, let alone adding momentum/inertia into the equation. And the structure holding up the windshield is a joke really. The thing would collapse right on top of me. I think most people put roll bars in for the illusion of safety. They have to be reinforced into the chassis to be of any real benefit. Is that how Porsche does it? Given their engineering excellence I would think so.

Just have been a bit busy. Working late at night, in the mornings and the weekends. Eesh, I really need to get another gig. Wearing 2 hats is not healthy, mentally and physically. Plus these peanuts for a salary are getting stale.

first Klink said
They have to be reinforced into the chassis to be of any real benefit. Is that how Porsche does it? Given their engineering excellence I would think so.

On the 914 the roll bar met the SCCA'a standards for a roll bar (in the early 70's), so other cutting off the front windshield, you could race a 914 stock. The structural reinforcements actually gave the car the same strength that a coupe would have. The other cool thing was the the front and rear luggage compartments were designed to collapse on impact protecting the passenger compartment, fuel tank and engine (there are also a number of fire walls between each). When my grandfather and I tried to cut up my second 914, we found out just how solid that car really is. We got the front and back off, but the rest was just more than our cutter could do (we went through three blades and only made it half way through the passenger side roll bar).

and then Klink said
Got a haircut?.

Did laundry.

;)

When I finally gave up my 914, I had about 320,000 miles on it because it was our only car for most of the eleven years I had it (we would get a second car for a while and then usually sell it after not to long). We actually got the second 914 to use as parts for the first (mainly to replace the the transmission), and because it had a crack in the engine casing, I ended up getting it for about $600 (the owner before me had already moved onto a 924 Turbo). My grandfather and I set both cars down next to each other and did a part by part comparison. If something was questionable on mine but looked better on the other one, we pulled it. When we were done, we took stock of the parts and body pieces that would be sellable and found a place that would sell them for us for a % of what ever they sold for. In the end we were left with just the body of the car from the front firewall to the engine compartment, and we ended up just getting rid of that part. So the car actually made me some money and fixed the problems I was having.

Hey, how did you find that? Do they still keep that stuff from that long ago? Too funny! :D

RacerX - i like your new avatar. it looks 'more you' without that silly grin on it.:D

also nice to see proof that you aren't always right:p i was beginning to wonder.

btw - i envy you both - i have always dreamed of owning a little coupe sportcar. I am kinda partial to triumphs myself but any of the genre would do.;)

Hahaha! I didn't even notice the year. I guess I was still shocked in finding something like that with a simple Google search. Thought it was this year! Guess the haircut/avatar, breakfast/missing for 4 days reference won't fully work anymore. :p

That must have been a great bonding experience for you and gramps. Similar to my experience with my uncle. Uncle Mike was a motorcycle dealer/repair & customize/road racer of the 60's, ... type uncle. He coached me through my first Fiat rebuild (I'm on my 4th now). Basically how you described, scavaging from a host car. It was neat for me too as when the job become a bit more difficult, another uncle or cousin stepped in to give their 2 cents (my mother's side of the family is heavily weighed by mechanical engineer types). It become a small family affair and conversation piece at the family gatherings. Sadly these days, time is a big factor and have to keep the tinkering down to essentials. But..... summer is on the way so I might be inspired if the season is personally slow. :)

Ed, Racer not right? I don't think he would allow that to happen. I would need proof to believe that blasphemous statement.

I'm jealous too. I've always liked the old Austin Healeys. I think they're making a new one like they did with the Mini. I've seen tons of the new Minis zipping around here. I'd love one, but being 6'4" it's probably not the best car for me. How do you guys feel about all those old companies being reincarnated (MG, Mini, Bugatti etc.)?

posted by my friend Ed (who is no longer MIA)
also nice to see proof that you aren't always right:p i was beginning to wonder.

I never said I was always right! :mad:

:rolleyes:

Um... that having been said, where did I screw up on this time? :confused:

Hey, I got an idea... lets try to find some cool images of these cars and post them! That way we'll have some mental image of what they look like if we haven't seen them before.

well ok, i admit that i misinterpretted your original post that klink shared with us. but then i found this as a reply to it. so it seems that maybe i was right that you were wrong. (at least somebody else thought so:D )

of course, i don't know enough about this issue or even care. i was mostly just teasing:D

I saw my first Mini print ad just recently and yet to see a live one. That car is right up my ally. I love it!

6'4" dlookus? Hahaha, it would be comical to see you in that car kissin your knees.

LOL! Ed you would have to find THAT post, aye!?

Racer, I was scratching my head a little too with Ed's comment... till he explained. And I thought it was just me. I was planning damage control posts already. ;)

Great idea! Here is a decked Mini for now...

Nice ones dlookus!

Attachments

• trickmini.jpg
    trickmini.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 9
dlookus,

The 3000 MK III, beautiful looking car. Love the color too. There is a car that needs two spaces in a parking lot! ;)

Klink,

My wife said that her boss is looking into getting one of those. He was showing her the brochure last week.

ebolag4,

Thanks! With people like you guys to talk to, hitting the 1000 mark was a ton of fun. I think this is one of the best places on the internet, and it is largely because of the great people we have coming here.

once more i would hate for this thread to end because of something someone said or did so i will try again to change the subject;)

So RacerX, is it true that every lake in Minnesota has two loons? I'll bet if we set up a lake in this Forum, we could find more than 2:p

And how about the SF Giants? they are off to an unbelievable start!! Last year they made it to the playoffs after a lousy start. This year could be their big year if they keep it up.

and if Tom is still hanging around, i must say that Rosarita has changed a whole lot since i was last there about 20 years ago. It was just a hotel, a couple of restraunts and some shell wholesalers then. From your pics on your site, it looks like a regular tourist attraction. I have a pretty good story from my camping trips down there if anyone is interested. But be warned it might include a few less than legal activities:D (ah - the joys of youth:rolleyes: )

Ed to the rescue
And how about the SF Giants? they are off to an unbelievable start!! Last year they made it to the playoffs after a lousy start. This year could be their big year if they keep it up.

I would love to follow baseball again, but for some strange reason Minnesota plays by these strange rules. Here the pitcher never bats, what is up with that? I miss real baseball (loved the National League).

And my thread wasn't in (too much) danger, I was having fun in another section over the last couple days. :D

Back