Dear macosx.com Therapist,

Trip

Registered
In this thread you can complain to, ask of, question, or just sit and let your hearts questions go. Questions dealing with life, liberty, and the persuit of happiness. :) Other members will answer your question, share their opinion on your thought, or just sit and stare at you. I'll start us off with another one of my ever-so-rare girl questions:

How do you know the difference between flirtting and talking? :D

There are two answers:

The hard answer: practice, practice, practice.

The easy (easier) answer: watch for changes in mood. If this is someone you see often, watch if they are all of a sudden putting a lot of emotional weight on what you say and do. Then again, that could also be a sign of a good friend, but I'll leave that up to you. If a girl likes to laugh at what you would ordinarily deem a very stupid joke, or is all of a sudden making up a lot of inside jokes with you, you may be on to something. With a stranger, its a little harder, since you don't know their personality and therefore do not know what is out of character for them. If you get the sense that a girl is going out of their way to talk or be with you, then you've got soemthing. Gut feeling can very very important. Even easier is if you're out and meet a stranger. If you strike up a conversation and feel that it has gone well, you can always leave a # and then leave. She'll call if she wants to, and the pressure's off you. Of course, you'll make sure that you're within 15 feet of a phone for four days straight, but it can be worth it.

Thats a summary of my experience. If you could go a little more in depth with this scenario, if it is actually a distinct person you are talking about, then I'm sure a lot of members could be very helpful. I'm curious to see what Ed has to sayu about this, not because he's a therapist of sorts :D, but because he's kind of the "father" figure around here.

*ed hobbles in on his cane, sits in the rocking chair and begins to recollect about the women in his life...remembers that isn't the subject and ....*

like Phil said, this isn't going to be a therapist type answer. more the shared experience of a guy who had a horrible time with women till he was about 17 and then read the book "how to pick up women" (for real :D ).

first, phil's advice is pretty good. except i would never give a girl my number and expect her to call. i would get her number and call her in a day or 2. If she gives you the number she is definitly interested in you for some reason. it still could be as friends though.

one good indication i found is that a girl who is flirting will tend to touch you physically. this can be a bit confusing with younger girls who still haven't figured out the effect/affect physical contact has on males, but for most girls this is true. another good indication is her eyes. if she is flirting she will either tend to stare at you or to consciously avoid eye contact. a friend will casually make eye contact and then shift away and then make eye contact and then look away, etc. a girl with an interest in you will either want you to know or will look quite awkward trying to keep you from knowing.

this may sound hard to believe, but girls have all the same fears and confusions about guys. they are also afraid of being rejected and hurt. afraid of being emabarassed or of things not being what they seem with a guy. so unless this is the most popular girl in school, she likely could be interested if she approaches you at all for any reason other than to get you to do her homework for her. the real thing is to be brave enough to be a bit flirtatious yourself. you need to let a girl you are interested in know how you feel. do it nicely and she will feel good about it even if she doesn't feel the same. and believe me the relief of knowing where you stand is better than being in limbo and being self conscious about your every move.

oh, and last thing - flirtation normally uses feeling words and subtle body language. also it contains compliments. if a girl tells you that you are cute or you have nice legs or she "likes" something about you that seems wierd to you, then that is flirting.

warning - teenage girls (well, lots of females of all ages really) sometimes like to flirt for their own gratification. they are interested in getting attention and making themselves feel better. they may have no other interest in the male they are talking to beyond that. flirting doesn't always mean something else is in the possible future. so again, being clear on how you feel is the best solution. the more you do this, the better feel you will get for what is really going on with women.

and trip - don't get too hung up worrying about high school girls. once you get to college, women are slightly more mature and easier to deal with. high school is a great time to make lots of mistakes. chances are you'll never see 90% of these girls again after HS, except for reunions. at which point they will all be interested if you have learned to apply all you learned from them. ;) (or you'll be happily settled with a woman who doesn't treat you like they did and can just laugh at them)

oh, and never discount the advantages of friendship. being friends with a girl will get you access to their friends. plus many great relationships start as friends and then develop into something else.

ooh, a thread about talking to girls! i love these sorta threads. :)

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
If she gives you the number she is definitly interested in you for some reason.

true......BUT.....i've gotten too many fake phone numbers that way. and it's not like i hit on tons of chicks, either. i've had women approach me, we hit it off, and then i get her number and it winds up being fake. sad but true. i'm starting to think that there is a growing population of sadistic women out there. either that or i just have rotten luck.

anyways, carry on, i dig this kinda discussion.

true......BUT.....i've gotten too many fake phone numbers that way. and it's not like i hit on tons of chicks, either. i've had women approach me, we hit it off, and then i get her number and it winds up being fake. sad but true. i'm starting to think that there is a growing population of sadistic women out there. either that or i just have rotten luck.

You and Ed are right, my advice wasn't flexible enough. I'm thinking of the HS sort of scene, but I could certainly imagine that happening at a bar, or soem kind of other "mature" place. It's 6:23 AM here, so I'm going to stop thinking. :rolleyes:

I always flirt with women. I think it is just great fun. But it can also be a problem. Because they always think I am interested. Why is that bad. Two reasons :: a.) they think I like them, but they don't like me and then they get stand-off-ish for fear of hurting my feelings, b.) they fall in love with me and then I have to explain that I am gay and it just will not work.

But after response a.) and or b.) subside I am left with this really neat flirty relationship. And I kind of like that.

Matthew

Originally posted by Matrix Agent
You and Ed are right, my advice wasn't flexible enough. I'm thinking of the HS sort of scene, but I could certainly imagine that happening at a bar, or soem kind of other "mature" place. It's 6:23 AM here, so I'm going to stop thinking. :rolleyes:

haha. yeah it is pretty late/early.

anyways, well i can only relate to the bar scene. personally i wouldn't trust high school girls at all, but that's just me.

but what i said in my previous post, that's happened to me at bars. a girl will approach me, we'll hit it off, i'll buy her a drink(s), we'll talk for an hour, and then she'll give me a fake number. i just don't get it. what, is messing with me worth a free drink and little bit of attention? i don't think so.....so like i said, i think there are a growing number of sadistic women out there. there's just no other explanation.

I'm mainly focused around this HS girl thing because for my older siblings (all three) they have met the girl (or guy) of their dreams, grown up together and gotten maried! We're talking girls they met in 6th through 10th grade here! I know chances of this happening a fourth time with me are slim, I know that, but it's still worth a try getting to know people, right? :)

I have no confidence in myself. Usually I try to get a girl to talk with me instead of me talking with her. I just feel more secure that way and can usually carry on the conversation for a while. I just don't know how to start off a conversation.

Also on the original flirting subject: There's this girl in my language class who i've known for a while now...and she's always talking to me (makes me feel cool) and she keeps asking me things like: "Do you hate me?" or "Do you like sitting by me?" and I usually reply with a: "Erm..." or "Uhhh..." because I don't want to look stupid by saying: "No, I love to sit by you!"

Thoughts?

Without knowing her personally, I would give you a 65% chance that she is intersted. The other thing that you must watch out for is that those questions are looking for compliments. This could be good or bad. If its good, it means that she just wants your respect and wants to know how you feel about her. If its bad, she could have low self esteem or could be a flirt who is looking for someone to boost their ego.

Never an easy answer, is there? :D

there is little or no doubt in my mind this girl has some kind of interest in you. It would certainly be worth investigating to find out what kind of interest that is. i agree with Phil that this could be a good or bad thing. but in general, girls tend to like being liked, even if they don't feel the same way in return. I have never had a girl hate me for liking her. Just don't turn into a stalker!! :p

i would caution you though about trying to compare yourself to your syblings. comparing to others is almost always decptive. couples tend to put on different faces for the world than they do with each other. judge yourself by how you feel, not how you think others feel. judge yoursef by what you want and appreciate, not by what others have. the only measure of anything in your life should be your happiness with it.

now, as for the girls in bars issue - learn to recognize the difference between a girl who is genuinely attracted and lounge lizards. yes, lounge lizards are just looking for someone to buy them drinks and hang out with while they decide who they want to go home with or they go somewhere else to meet their boyfriend. they are often spotted licking their lips alot or putting their finger up to their lips. they tend to lean a little too close but back away if you move towards them. they will hang out as long as they feel they are in control or they are ready to move on. they will flip and be gone in a flash if they feel that their victim is in control. typically they have a little too much makeup, wear revealing clothes and never carry a purse or their own money. They tend to go to the bathroom alot. or leave you alone to go talk to their friends in between hustling for drinks. and getting fake numbers is just part of the game. many girls in their late teens and early 20's seem to derive their personal sense of worth by teasing guys. they don't want the intimacy of a relationship or of physical contact. they just want to know that men want them and that they have control over men. sad fact of life - the girls you treat with the least amount of respect and attention will be the ones who continue to seek it from you. girls you get all goo goo over tend to walk all over you and take you for granted.

but like Phil said, there's never a easy answer. there are always exceptions to every rule and always different ways to interpret interactions. in the end, direct communication is the best bet. don't be afraid to ask a girl if she is trying to say what you think she is saying with her actions and words. If she was, she'll be impressed you picked up on it. if not, you'll save yourself any more wasted time and embarrassment by finding out sooner rather than later. There will never be a shortage of available women so don't act like each potential relationship or encounter is some devastating event if it doesn't work out.

that's enough for now i think.

oh, i must add that i have often been jealous of gay guys like Inline guy who can have these great flirtatious relationships with women without them being threatening. but then again, i always remembered that i liked to do more than flirt so....:D

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
now, as for the girls in bars issue - learn to recognize the difference between a girl who is genuinely attracted and lounge lizards. yes, lounge lizards are just looking for someone to buy them drinks and hang out with while they decide who they want to go home with or they go somewhere else to meet their boyfriend. they are often spotted licking their lips alot or putting their finger up to their lips. they tend to lean a little too close but back away if you move towards them. they will hang out as long as they feel they are in control or they are ready to move on. they will flip and be gone in a flash if they feel that their victim is in control. typically they have a little too much makeup, wear revealing clothes and never carry a purse or their own money. They tend to go to the bathroom alot. or leave you alone to go talk to their friends in between hustling for drinks. and getting fake numbers is just part of the game. many girls in their late teens and early 20's seem to derive their personal sense of worth by teasing guys. they don't want the intimacy of a relationship or of physical contact. they just want to know that men want them and that they have control over men. sad fact of life - the girls you treat with the least amount of respect and attention will be the ones who continue to seek it from you. girls you get all goo goo over tend to walk all over you and take you for granted.

you're absolutely right, Ed. and you know, in the back of my mind, i know all this already, but there's always that part of me (the majority) that wants to always give the women the benefit of the doubt. so if i get a fake number, i always assume at first that it's an honest mistake. but i know better....i just enjoy self-delusion. and the thing about not wanting anything more then control, i've thought of that too. i always dismissed it as pessimism on my part, but no, you're right, it does happen, and all too often.

that's the main thing that surprised me about the bar scene, when i first got into it.....it's a warzone. it looks like innocent fun on the surface, yet underneath it's all power struggles, mixed signals and plenty of double standards. the presence of alcohol only makes it that much more chaotic. haha, i guess the key is to deal with that and still have fun, right? that's tough for me, because i'm the guy that goes into every single situation with my mind going in overdrive. but i do manage to enjoy myself once in awhile. and surprisingly, i've managed to actually meet a couple genuinely nice women in my months of working at it. well that surprises me at least, considering how cut-throat the bar scene can be.

but i like older women. in general they're gonna be more serious. i don't mess with younger women if i can help it. older women are tough enough to deal with.

sorry i can't help with the HS stuff, but i never had any luck with girls until after HS. and i'm still learning...we're very lucky that we have an old pro like Ed here to advise us! :)

yea, well, i never had much luck with HS girls either till i was half way thru my senior year. College was better, but i was busy making up for lost time and learning all the things i should have learned in HS. The sooner you start making mistakes, the sooner you get it right. But from age 21 to 31, i spent most of my time in bars. my business required that i be out in bars 5-6 nights a week to make a living at it. i published a local entertainment rag geared towards rock and roll. i learned a lot about women in bars, bar women, and women who just happened to be in a bar. I learned how to figure out where to stand to meet the women the easiest. how to size up a woman and figure if she was real or just a player. of course i had a great teacher at one point - a musician named Fast Fred. Fred taught Ed a lot about how to score which is entirely a different thing than what trip is wanting to know. and you are right - bars are typically warzones. i laughed when i read that cause i knew you had already seen past the 'fun' and into the reality. of course, as long as you realize that, you can still enjoy being a 'soldier' for a few years. once you get that perspective, you have the ability to not let the bar scene engulf you. you keep the control. You can be general in the army rather than a private. :D

oh, and really want to have some fun one nite - go to a bar and don't drink alcohol. try drinking a pop with a twist of lemon or lime so it looks like a drink. it will give you a whole new perspective. and as you stand at the bar all relaxed, but not swaying, you might even attract a girl who detects "there's something different about you than everybody else" . :D

funny thing, the relationship i have been in for the past 10 years began in a bar. a divorcee meet market to be exact. I would never have figured it would have turned out like it did the nite we met. so even if i sound a bit cynical about bar slu...i mean babes, i also know that there are still good women to be found there. you just have to get lucky and be willing to do something more than play games yourself. rock and roll is an experience worth having in your life, but it's a rough life to try and live for too long. Hey, the great surprizes are when those phone numbers actually work. :eek: ;)

yeah, it's when you least expect it that you meet someone worthwhile. just like real life. :p

but yeah, meat market is a good way to describe more "happening" bars. i was just thinking that to myself last friday, when i was clubbing. but i'm sorta jaded, i only go the same clubs, so i only see the same people, generally. though there's always the chance of meeting someone new...

hmm, the "visiting a bar but not drinking" idea of yours sounds interesting. i dunno if i have the self-control for that, though. ;)

yeah, i've seen the reality of it all. can't say i'm too happy about it, but that's life...it's all about adaptation.

well, i'm glad to hear you've got a solid relationship, Ed. a good guy like you deserves no less. :)

Well one thing that's going on is my iBook broke, so my postings to macosx.com are going to be very limited for the next few months until I can dig up some cash to fix the book, on the other hand:

The girl that is interested in me (she told me today) is moving away next month. So I guess it's not a "true love" thing. But I'll enjoy it while I can (you can count on that!)

I've also become a demi-pimp now! I've found the most classical, smart, geneous way to start a conversation with a member of the opposite sex. What is this great thing that I have discovered you ask: 1 word: "Hi". That word with a little hand wave can do wonders! I've had at least 15 interesting conversations with random females that I have never met before in my entire life, and from the looks of it the girls really enjoyed the conversations we had!

Now that I've taken a step on the ladder I can start following your guys advice and keep moving up the ladder!

Comments?
Oh and: Thanks to everybody who has posted so far, it means a lot to me!

Hate to say it, but from the sounds of it I'd take the girl over the iBook anyday.:D

And I defintely agree on your "hi" advice. Its all about confidence.

Thanks for the response and best of luck, sounds like good things are coming your way.

Wow, this is the cuuuutest thread :D
Its like being a high-school student again, before all bitterness and everything :p
There is a fine, and hard found, line between stalking and acting hard-to-get / kool. Nobody (most) dont want to be stalkers. they want some of that equal society working their way so the girls (for once, i might add) bares their necks to the sharp axe of social embarrasment.

I tend to flip back and forth between stalking and acting cool (you know, like all the sudden being an expert in every subject she thinks is interesting so you can say intelligent stuff, and lying awake all night practicing spontaneous comments :D ) and then when i meet her, i feel so ashamed for losing my koolness and going through all the trouble, so i ignore her. golly gosh (jepp, i have read the rules, Ed :p ), that is weird.

Hang in there Trip! University is just around the corner and thats where it truly happens...

Holy cow! This thread *is* old, but instead of posting a new one i thought i'd just update this one with my latest/greatest:

Today was an amazing(ly wierd) day! My social life has exploded and taken over half the universe! I never knew i had so many friends, and so many female friends in my life! Infact: i just found out that this one new girl that i've been friends with since the beginning of the year doesn't have a boyfriend (for months i thought she did). And now i'm thinking about asking her out. There's a dance on thursday so it all works out nicely.

I don't know though. Maybe this is a one day thing only. But i've never seen so many people happy to see me in a long time. :D

Life is good my friends, life is very good.

Kool, Trip! i wish you all luck!
me and my girlfriend broke up a few days ago. we had a very easy-going relationship. used to hang around my apartment playing nintendo-emulators (NES) on my eMac and plan university-stuff (we are both in leading positions in the swedish student-union). :)
But i guess we realised we were better off as friends :(
But it was nice, cuz we both thought it was for the best :)
Now i will find the love of my life (hmm, tend to say that everytime)

/jonathan

Back