Mobius Rex said:
Wow, this is a tough one. Let's see, now. G.W.Bush:

is an imbecile

is incompetent

is a Schicklgruber wannabe

is an obvious sociopath

is a sadist

is gleefully doing his part in turning the USA into a Fascist Police State

said, "Don't throw the Constitution in my face! It's just a god damned piece of paper!", and has amply demonstrated that it's merely a piece of toilet paper

is a willing, but stupid, player in the Satanic Junta now controlling this country, known as EVIL, INC.

fully realizes that this world is the God given property of the USA

knows that this country is the biggest, baddest, most powerful and most vicious rogue nation that this world has ever seen, bar none

gb-flag1-s.gif

Rule Britannia! Huzzah!

:p

:D

lol

Thanks Mobius Rex, you gave me two good laughs in one day. :D

Of course, when those outside the US criticize George W. Bush, it should not be taken as a personal attack on the American people, nor should it be seen as "anti-Americanism." There is a strong distinction between individuals and the leaders of any nation. Also, importantly, those who criticize the Bush administration from within the US should not be portrayed as non-patriots/subversives.

Some interesting quotes:

"In these sentiments, Sir, I agree to this Constitution with all its faults, if they are such; because I think a general Government necessary for us, and there is no form of Government but what may be a blessing to the people if well administered, and believe farther that this is likely to be well administered for a course of years, and can only end in Despotism, as other forms have done before it, when the people shall become so corrupted as to need despotic Government, being incapable of any other."
-Benjamin Franklin

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-Benjamin Franklin

"The people never give up their freedom, except under some delusion."
-James Madison

And some conservatives might be surprised to read what a former Republican president once said:

"No, I'm not sure that atheists should be considered citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."

-George Bush (Senior)

Most of you outside the US have really no idea that Bush Jr. has lost his support of the Conservative element of his Republican political party.

Satcomer said:
Most of you outside the US have really no idea that Bush Jr. has lost his support of the Conservative element of his Republican political party.
I can't speak for everyone outside of the US, obviously, but in the UK we do hear of George W. Bush's ratings being at a low and of rumblings within the Republican party about him. At the same time, though, he does still receive some sort of support, whether in his role as the president or as a conservative leader for now. Equally, I think many within the US have little idea of just how unpopular Bush is in the rest of the world, and how international relations have been affected during his time in office. In slightly more general terms, I think that outside of the US there is a perception, whether rightly or wrongly, that dissent is seen as unpatriotic (almost treason) by many Americans in the current climate, and I think this can alarm outsiders.

It alarms insiders, too.

But it's difficult to get a real idea of the American mindset, for both insiders and outsiders. America is a huge country. I live in New York, an overwhelmingly liberal state. A lot of what other countries see of America is as foreign to me as it is to them.

Honestly, I don't think this "American image" is really accurate in any part of America. The media hardly gives us fair representation. Most people on TV are childish fanatics (whichever side they happen to be on) — axe-grinders who are perfectly happy to abandon all rational thought and logic as long as it sounds good for a few seconds at a time.

Conservatives complain about the "liberal media". Liberals complain about the "conservative media". They both exist, and they're both equally disgraceful.

To answer the original question: Not this Mac user.

Sean Penn paid $56,000 to publish an open letter to Bush on a nearly full page in the Washington Post:

"Many of your actions to date and those proposed seem to violate every defining principle of this country over which you preside: intolerance of debate... marginalisation of your critics, the promoting of fear through unsubstantiated rhetoric, manipulation of a quick comfort media, and the position of your administration's deconstruction of civil liberties all contradict the very core of the patriotism you claim," he wrote.

I agree totally with his opinion.

No, I do not support George W. Bush (or the current Congress for that matter), for many reasons... lack of intellect, established history of making poor judgements or allowing important issues to lapse causing even larger problems, ignoring domestic affairs in favor of foreign policy, medicare reform (elderly people CANNOT understand all of the different insurance plans), and elimination of some vital government services. Federal Student Loans are fewer and farther between than they used to be, and at higher interest rates, making it more difficult for an average American to attain higher education - seems he (and the Republican Party) want to keep people ignorant and uneducated so that they can flip burgers, push mobile phones, or work in the service sector at Best Buy, Walmart, and K-mart, while RENTING apartments instead of owning a HOME. America is more divided now than in the last 50 years. This country is headed in the wrong direction. If you disagree with me, then I encourage you to research the bills W has signed into law, and ask yourself 'are these bills/laws helping PEOPLE or big business?'

Government of the people, by corporate executives, for corporate profits.

yes I support President Bush and I did vote for him both times. and bbloke it not Bush Jr. Yes alot of american do not like coments form people outside the us when they take a poke at us or our President, somw time that includes me, and other times depending the comments I just tell myself they don't got a clue.

Mikuro said:
But it's difficult to get a real idea of the American mindset, for both insiders and outsiders. America is a huge country. I live in New York, an overwhelmingly liberal state. A lot of what other countries see of America is as foreign to me as it is to them.

I use to live in the Corning area and went to school in Rochester. Unless thing drastically changed in the largest part of New York State (most of Upstate) then you think Long Island and NYC are the only part of New York State! If you ever went to one of Hillary's speeches Upstate you downstate snobs would be REALLY surprised her CONSERVATIVE sounding speeches. Besides those in Albany, Rochester downtown or Buffalo downtown most of Upstate New York is most definitely not Liberal.

hawki18 said:
and bbloke it not Bush Jr.
Errrrrmmm, yesssss, that's why I wrote:

bbloke said:
"No, I'm not sure that atheists should be considered citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."

-George Bush (Senior)
and not "George W. Bush" or "George Bush Jr."

hawki18 said:
I just tell myself they don't got a clue
That will be the case for some of Bush's detractors, but, likewise, some of Bush's supporters will be equally clueless. So, this sort of comment can apply to anyone from any political wing. One needs to be quite careful about being too dismissive, though, as plenty of people can cite good reasons, backed up with factual evidence, why they have a strong dislike of Bush. For anyone, on either side, to simply dismiss others as clueless and ignore what they have to say would be a case of sticking one's head in the sand.

Yes, A lot of Upper New York State is not Liberal (but the State voted against G. W. Bush in each presidential election all the same) and yes Hillary is a wimp on many issues....especially concerning Iraq. However, my brother who has a house in Philmont, NY (up the Hudson) and not exactly a "Liberal" area sent me this:
Somebody or some group paid for space on a huge billboard just out of town. It read: "Conservatives are like dead fish. They flow with the stream."

I have to echo bbloke's comment some posts back about not equating the @$$hole at the helm with your average US citizen. It is possible to dislike George W. Bush and yet have nothing at all against a person just because he was born in the USA.

I think that it is those American who "have got God" that are the problem (aka the Neo-Conservative Religious Right), just as it is with those in the Middle East who claim that their violent actions are carried out in the name of Islam.

DOWN with religious extremisim! They're so busy condemmning anyone and anything that doesn't conform with their own blinkered interpretations of their particular holy book that they forget the fundamental message of ALL holy books:

Love your fellow human beings and treat them well!

I agree. Religious kooks are everywhere. Unfortunately, the Religious Right in the US are the those that helped put GWB in office and to whom he plays lip service. He speaks to God you know. Also, remember John "prayer meetings" Ashcroft?
Someone once said: "'In God we trust.' All others pay cash.'"

Yes alot of american do not like coments form people outside the us when they take a poke at us or our President, somw time that includes me, and other times depending the comments I just tell myself they don't got a clue.

Uh, yeah right, some folks just "...don't got a clue".

stupid-bush-1.jpg

bushbook.jpg

Mikuro said:
...it's difficult to get a real idea of the American mindset, for both insiders and outsiders. America is a huge country. I live in New York, an overwhelmingly liberal state. A lot of what other countries see of America is as foreign to me as it is to them.

Honestly, I don't think this "American image" is really accurate in any part of America. The media hardly gives us fair representation. Most people on TV are childish fanatics (whichever side they happen to be on) — axe-grinders who are perfectly happy to abandon all rational thought and logic as long as it sounds good for a few seconds at a time.....
I think this is the most helpful post in this thread. As an example, outsiders frequently complain about the Bush administration's lack of response to the threat of global warming, yet some US states pursue progressive 'green' policies that would put a number of European countries to shame.

Likewise, not all Americans are 'blind faith' Christian fanatics (i.e. no understanding of the New Testament) and not all are fixated with corporate greed (which seems to go hand-in-hand with Christian fundamentalism).

As a Briton, I am very concerned with the Bush-Blair Axis. I suspect Iraq has more to do with Bush Snr and his cronies than poor old Dubya. I think Blair simply wants to go down in history as a 'Churchillian' statesman.

God Bless America (and I really do mean that) and God Help Us All.

I love the fact that this is an international board. You guys have some really interesting views and I enjoy reading them. It almost makes me think I belong somewhere else.

I could say so much more, but that is all.

rhisiart....
GWB and Tony (the phoney?) is an interesting topic. What a couple. Tony got sucked into Iraq and boy he's no Churchill. Who invaded who? And for what reason? Democracy? Oil? Weapons of Mass Destruction? Terrorism? All of the above or none of the above? He's Labor. Shameful. But what can you do? This is how things have worked out. Now what?
An aside for the thread....
One thing is sure one has the right to his/her opinions concerning the USA and the way this administration is dealing with things (from wherever one comes from). We Americans do it all the time. In fact everybody does it. If I criticize Bush am I an anti-American? If I'm Jewish and for the de-colonisation of the occupied territorities am I anti-Semite. If I think Ben Laden and other fanatics are not true Muslims am I anti-Arab or true followers of the Koran? Or if I think Creationists can't see beyond their noses (and only read the passages in the Bible that interest them) am I anti-Christian, etc.. The answer, I think or hope is correct is... of course not.

reed said:
One thing is sure one has the right to his/her opinions concerning the USA and the way this administration is dealing with things (from wherever one comes from). We Americans do it all the time. In fact everybody does it.
…unless, of course, you are involved in research into climate change, in which case you aren't allowed to speak out on the issue without the Bush Administration's prior scrutiny and approval of your statements.

reed said:
If I'm Jewish and for the de-colonisation of the occupied territorities am I anti-Semite.
That's got nothing to do with anti-semitism. If wishing that Israel would retreat to within its original, UN-mandated borders is anti-semitic, then I'm anti-semitic! But I know for a fact that I think no worse of a man, just because parts of his wedding tackle are shorter than mine!

reed said:
If I think Ben Laden and other fanatics are not true Muslims am I anti-Arab or true followers of the Koran?
Osama bin Laden's actions and those of others of his kind are purely political. Having lived in Saudi Arabia, I know for sure that I have nothing to fear from Islam (which is the Arabic word for Peace). George W is as guilty as bin Laden of using religion to wage a political war!

reed said:
Or if I think Creationists can't see beyond their noses (and only read the passages in the Bible that interest them) am I anti-Christian, etc.
However hard I try, I can find no redeeming qualities in this bunch of blinkered lunatics…

Back