Emailing files to a friend

Rhisiart

Registered
I have a Mac mini and I send files (Jpegs, PDFs etc) to friends abroad. One friend, a priest in America, uses an iPad and when I send files to him he can’t open them. Could anyone explain why this is happening please?

Depends if they have the same base applications types to open the files! Besides some Pads are video/games uses only! As Mac user I had to over the years had to change things on Mac to open stuff sent to me from work! it's getting better but you might have to use a different version on picture to pad user that's not to large!

Thanks, Satcomer. I just don't understand how a simple jpeg (which is not too large) can't be open on a standard iPad. You mention application types. I use Preview mainly to edit photos (occasionally photoshop). Surely photos edited in Preview should show up on an iPad?

Apple, in the last few years, has had a penchant to create pictures in HEIC format instead of JPG/JPEG format. That could be your problem, There are several programs that convert HEIC to .jpg or other formats. Suggest you check format before forwarding your pics.

Last edited:
If your edited JPEG is still a JPEG (check this to make sure), you should not expect a problem viewing an attachment on a standard system.
Does your friend get any kind of similar attachments, with no problems, from other people?
If you send your jpeg to someone else, do THEY have any difficulty opening your attached file?

If your edited JPEG is still a JPEG (check this to make sure), you should not expect a problem viewing an attachment on a standard system.
Does your friend get any kind of similar attachments, with no problems, from other people?
If you send your jpeg to someone else, do THEY have any difficulty opening your attached file?
No one else I send files to report any problems. He also says he doesn't get problems with other sender's attachments. I'll investigate SGilberts idea that perhaps sometimes I am sending HEIC files.

Back