Enter the Dark Side!?

Well, Sirtovin! Let me welcome you to the community! :)

What kind of Mac did you get? And… what made you decide to switch? Reading this thread? :D

Originally posted by MDLarson
Well, Sirtovin! Let me welcome you to the community! :)

What kind of Mac did you get? And… what made you decide to switch? Reading this thread? :D

Dual 867Mhz Power Mac G4... upped the memory to 1.2ghz... or 2 512mb and the 256mb it came with... this is sweet...

I made the switch because as a writer... an aspiring one at that... I just find that the PC has to many gaming intrests to distract me... plus the fact that I want to get into web design.. so wala... I made the Switch and I have no regrets... except for my own learning curve which is high... but this is a new sleek water... kind of beautiful woman... the MAC... is.

Well, there's plenty of gaming distractions on the Mac as well… You can typically get the better games for Mac as well as PC these days. Good luck on your new system!

Don't really want to bash Wintel systems... but I have to... Windows XP... nice it was... When I played with it... I was one of the fools who paid MS... $20 for the beta RC1 and RC2 trials... before it's release...

Now Longhorn is coming out and do you know what I have to say to this... "I don't Care..." I am free from the chains of Billy Gates... and his continued monopoly... If I want to play monopoly I will play the board game... but dang it to heck with him... and his lousy OS's....

Hulk,
I just got me a MaC recently and am selling my PC. I'd love to just smash it, but hey... I'd rather make money out of a piece a' crap. Good deal.
I was reading through your first three problems and I'll tell you this... I have had that problem with my Pc .. or ex-PC for so long. I owned it for a year.. but had reinstalled windows and reconfigured the BIOS for 7 times already. It seems like the Cd ting only works for 3 weeks and then it needs overhauling.
Strange . Now it also does not read any installer files from CD's as well.

Litening

Originally posted by fryke
You don't have to be PC all the time on this thread, plastic. :p

I tell you all this... It's been 3 days since I made the switch... and I've noticed how quite my Mac is... As compared to my old PC which sounded like a race car... :)
:D

I have a AMD, with an aluminum casing. Guess what... my room sounds like the airport when I start up the engines... sorry, I meant the PC. :D

Fryke.... dun laugh at me. :(

Originally posted by plastic
I have a AMD, with an aluminum casing. Guess what... my room sounds like the airport when I start up the engines... sorry, I meant the PC.

So why didn't you buy a silent fan?

...that I should never underestimate the power of the Dark Side!

A P4/2.4 GHz, 512 MB 266DDR, 60GB Maxtor 7200, intel mainboard, SB Audigy 1, Plextor CD-RW, Pioneer DVD-R, Samsung CD-ROM, HP USB Scanner 3500, HP USB Printer 990, External USB2/FireWire 3.5" Hard Disk (120GB Maxtor) running Windows XP + SP1, Easy CD Creator Platinum, Ahead Nero, Power DVD, McAfee Virus+Firewall and other system utilities, etc. kicked my tech knowledge back into the Padawan level...

When the customer who bought the above so-called beast I thought that everything was running perfect! However, after a week or so the customer came back to our company with the PC and all its gear into boxes and everything because he thought we sold him a problematic computer... Of course we denied this and after a half an hour of aggresive negotiations we connected everything and booted the PC only to find out this:
-When the computer plays DVD or burns a CD while at the same time a document is printing and a picture is scanned at resolutions above 600 dpi the PC crushes!!! Oooops!!!

Under those conditions NO MATTER WHAT the PC crashes... Gave a shot by reinstalling everything with Windows 2000: No problem! Other than the customer WANTS the XP :(

So, reinstalled XP for one more time with the newest drivers and stuff but the problem STILL occurs under XP... Reinstalled XP without SP1 but with the default set of drivers and later on with the newest ones and still BOOM...

However, when doing ANYTHING else the system works perfect... Changed printer and/or scanner didn't resolve the issue either!

The PC and everything is still in our company's tech stuff and a solution is yet to be found. If ANYONE (including the PC guys around here -yes I know that I wasn't and still I'm not their best friend here but who knows-) knows a solution to this problem: Please let me know ASAP...

i dont know hulk, burning a cd, playing a dvd, printing and scanning at the same is a pretty processor intensive thing for any computer, osx probably wouldnt crash, but i know for a fact it wouldnt be happy with it...

my reccomendation, tell the customer he needs to do less at a time... cd burning and dvd playing take up a lot of cpu attention, printing takes up a good amount of cache as well as a cd burn, and a scan can do the same as well, its just not a healthy thing to do really....

ive done this on my g4, and my cd came out skippy, my print job was slow, my movie jumped around a bit and the scan was uber slow... its just one of those things you dont do in general IMO

icon14.gif

oh!

i remember last year when i had both easy cd creator and ahead nero installed on my pc that they put conflicting drivers on it, im not sure if thats still the case, but it crashed my computer horribly when doing cd-rw type things....

just an idea :)

However read more close my post and you will see that when Windows 2000 is the OS of the PC the work gets done... And the bad part is that the customer saw that and he believes (because we didn't tell him to buy XP -we, as a company, insisted to buy the Windows 2000-) that we want to sell him the Windows 2000!!! Of course he believes that because here in our country Windows 2000 is MORE expensive than XP Pro...

We are sure that the problem lies somewhere in the XP way of doing things but what would that be is another story!

As for Nero and EasyCD everything is ok for anyone if he/she will install the new versions (5.1.3.x for EasyCD and 5.5.x.x for Nero) so if for your PC don't have them get them now and everything will be fine :D

hmmm didnt see the 2k vs xp thing, thats rather interesting, thats the first time ive heard of something of that nature happening in xp and not in 2k, is it home edition or pro?

all the jumper settings are set correctly right? ;)

and im glad they updated their products (i only use easy cd creator now anyways) cause that was a pain in the ass dealing with their drivers lol

Originally posted by BuddahBobb
hmmm didnt see the 2k vs xp thing, thats rather interesting, thats the first time ive heard of something of that nature happening in xp and not in 2k, is it home edition or pro?

all the jumper settings are set correctly right? ;)

and im glad they updated their products (i only use easy cd creator now anyways) cause that was a pain in the ass dealing with their drivers lol

Both Windows 2000 and XP were the Pro versions and that's strange a lot :confused:

Jumpers are set ok, too! Tomorrow we are gonna search at HP's, Microsoft's, et al support forums for info just in case... Right now, here in Greece it's midnight :D

And BuddahBob I wanted you to know that no hard feelings, right? Thank you for your interest and really I'm DEAPLY sorry about being such a headstrong the other day no matter what the cause... For this, we have in our country (the small but lovely Greece) a saying: Till the day that "excuse" or "sorry" was invented, world got full of donkeys... :eek:

[plastic]"I have a AMD, with an aluminum casing. Guess what... my room sounds like the airport when I start up the engines... sorry, I meant the"[/QUOTE]

My DPG4 is as loud as my Athlon 1.4 (big fan), in fact it's the loudest computer I have heard!:(

Originally posted by hulkaros
Both Windows 2000 and XP were the Pro versions and that's strange a lot :confused:

Jumpers are set ok, too! Tomorrow we are gonna search at HP's, Microsoft's, et al support forums for info just in case... Right now, here in Greece it's midnight :D

And BuddahBob I wanted you to know that no hard feelings, right? Thank you for your interest and really I'm DEAPLY sorry about being such a headstrong the other day no matter what the cause... For this, we have in our country (the small but lovely Greece) a saying: Till the day that "excuse" or "sorry" was invented, world got full of donkeys... :eek:

so this was a pre configured computer from HP or has it been since customized?

this is one of the things i do hate about pc's the fact that pc companies make some fubar computers lol ive always built mine and my friends' computers, it seems pc companies just dont put quality into their builds :eek:

question about your windows installs... on xp did you try both an upgrade from 2k and a clean install? also am i getting it right that it has 3 optical drives? why? shouldnt the 2 be enough? ive heard of some people on certain mobos (dont know which) that have probs with more than two optical drives (2 taking up one ide chain and the other being slave to the master drive on the other), i dont know if thats a feasible option to try or not though

anyways the way i fix things is odd, i just try weird stuff until it works, and its usually a guessing game *shrugs*

and no, there arent hard feelings lol, im not stupid enough to judge you based on one thread in which our opinions were different :) its very hard to get on my bad side, trust me :)

Back