Enter the Dark Side!?

"so this was a pre configured computer from HP or has it been since customized?"

It is a computer build from 0 to 100% here in our company supposedly based on the "best" parts which were chosen by the customer...

"this is one of the things i do hate about pc's the fact that pc companies make some fubar computers lol ive always built mine and my friends' computers, it seems pc companies just dont put quality into their builds"

Right now, I don't know which part is the one with the poor quality and I really hope is JUST one :(

"question about your windows installs... on xp did you try both an upgrade from 2k and a clean install? also am i getting it right that it has 3 optical drives? why? shouldnt the 2 be enough? ive heard of some people on certain mobos (dont know which) that have probs with more than two optical drives (2 taking up one ide chain and the other being slave to the master drive on the other), i dont know if thats a feasible option to try or not though"

Each install was fresh! Meaning that each time I mentioned that we installed this and that OS, it was a whole new install... Format first (NTFS)... Then install everything...

As for why we put 3 optical drives: The customer insisted because a person whom he trusts A LOT, told him NOT to play CDs from the DVD-R and/or CD-RW; instead he must use a CD-ROM for playing CDs because if he'll not do it that way then the DVD-R and CD-RW will become damaged very soon!!! Go figure because both the DVD-R and CD-RW are top notch in quality!

The problem for us is that while under Windows 2000 Pro everything works like charm, the crashes come under XP only! But you gave me an idea which I'll give a shot tomorrow: I will disconnect the second device from the IDE1 channel and see what gives (we only disconnected the external device, changed jumpers on devices, cables, etc.)... Thanks ;)

"anyways the way i fix things is odd, i just try weird stuff until it works, and its usually a guessing game *shrugs*"

Yes, I know what you are talking about... At strange times like this one, the trial & error method becomes the ONLY method :eek:

"and no, there arent hard feelings lol, im not stupid enough to judge you based on one thread in which our opinions were different its very hard to get on my bad side, trust me"

Thanks! :D

well is a weird idea, but try upgrading from win2k to xp instead of doing a clean install....

i had to do this on an older computer for one of the drivers to play nice for a modem... i know i know, its a weird solution :D

----

oh and im going to be watching this thread closely ;)

a few of my friends seem to run into the same problem and i dont know what i can do 2 help them. what happens is that on win2k or winXP a certain problem occurs and the computer crashes or there might be a black out. next time they turn on their computer a blue screen appears, it runs some tests.(im sorry if my descriptions and very accurate but i cant remember what they said). then a message appears sayin that they should enter windows and fix any problems immediately. the problem is that they dont know what to do in order to continue and enter the windows environment. so they restart the computer and the same blue screen appears and performs the same checks. does any1 know how u could bypass this process and enter windows immediately ? thanx :)

hahahaah. well actually ive told many of my friends that i switched, and ive showed them screenshots of macosX and their reactions were quite amazing! especially when i showed them my ipod(10GB) they were all amazed at its capacity and its design, they kept on staring @ it as if it was some kind of alien creature. i even showed them the game in the extras menu of the iPOD; 1 of them borrowed it and spent 2 hours during the physics lesson playing on my ipod .. hahah :p ... obviously mac products are not very common here in Greece, but its nice to hear that everyone considers Macs perfect for video editting and graphics design.

I remember working in our city's best computer store in 1995 (well, that's my opinion, of course, as i worked there). Shortly after the introduction of Win95, I was helping a customer installing the 'update' on his Compaq PC he bought at our place. While we were configuring like hell, trying everything, disabling this and that hardware, another customer walked in and told me that I was right and that he had much less problems with his new computer now. Customer 1 asked what I had told Customer 2. And I said: "I told him to get a Mac next time." Two grinned. One didn't. (We sold Macs, too, at the time.)

I used to work for Office Max here in Florida... and During the Windows 95 upgrade... It was pure hell for users upgrading from a 16 bit OS which was Windows 3.1 and 3.11 (NT was a baby) I remember the panic that came across users who unfortunately could not use their brand new printers because the vendors didn't realize that Windows 95 was looking for 32 bit coding... I remember HP took the brunt of the bashing by the customers... (It took in some cases 3 weeks to 6 months for users to get their printers to work...) (Also many people refused to download the new drivers because A. They didn't have fast connections like now... and B. They didn't know how to use the new internet... It was also the time when Netscape was kicking IE... but that's another story...) I for one at that time was a die hard Wintell PC user who was telling people not to buy Windows 95 if they wanted to use their printer... :p Of course I also told those people to hold of 6 months before buying Windows 95...

I am glad I switched.

nostalgy, eh? :)

I had a Performa 630 back then. And a PowerBook 180c. And I upgraded the 630 to PowerPC... I was in heaven when I finally kicked that Quadra 840av's ass in Marathon I. ;)

Reminds me that I should finally reinstall that game and call for our regular "Christmas Carnage" we used to have... 16 hours of network games in a row. Ah... :)

Originally posted by fryke
I was in heaven when I finally kicked that Quadra 840av's *** in Marathon I. ;)
I was watching "Kimpossible" this morning (I don't know why), and she was snowboarding. But guess what was on the bottom of the snowboard? The Marathon logo! I only saw it for a second, but I'm pretty sure that's what it was…

Anyway, just thought I'd share! :D

FINALLY! The war is over with XP, at least for now... :D

Anyways, I don't know why exactly but it seems the problem was the Samsung CD-ROM... No matter what: Slave/Master/IDE1/IDE2/Cable Select/etc the problem under XP was there while using the CD-ROM!!!

After swapping it with a Sony CD-ROM... Magic! It worked! No crash, no trouble, nothing! I don't know why this was happening under XP only and with that specific configuration but the problem now is R.I.P. :D

The customer is happy, we are happy, case closed!? ;)

well its a known fact that XP doesnt work with all hardware... and remember OSX doesnt either ;)

Originally posted by stealth
a few of my friends seem to run into the same problem and i dont know what i can do 2 help them. what happens is that on win2k or winXP a certain problem occurs and the computer crashes or there might be a black out. next time they turn on their computer a blue screen appears, it runs some tests.(im sorry if my descriptions and very accurate but i cant remember what they said). then a message appears sayin that they should enter windows and fix any problems immediately. the problem is that they dont know what to do in order to continue and enter the windows environment. so they restart the computer and the same blue screen appears and performs the same checks. does any1 know how u could bypass this process and enter windows immediately ? thanx :)

Did they try to press F8 BEFORE the Windows is now starting up screen? If yes, did they try to enter in Safe Mode or even in the last good configuration mode? Do they have an Emergency Disk? The Windows 2000/XP CD-ROMs (which I think they MUST have pirated, aren't they?)? If the Safe Mode will not work tell them to give a shot with the Em/ncy Disk after booting from CDs... Or under XP to try the System Restore... But I don't know why they don't take their PCs to PLAISIO Computers? :D

Oh, come on! Tell them to pay a visit at your house and showcase your Mac! This will make them to www.apple.com/switch/ ASAP! ;)

Originally posted by BuddahBobb
well its a known fact that XP doesnt work with all hardware... and remember OSX doesnt either ;)

The other day I was testing some external FireWire boxes at our company (both 3.5" and 5.25") in order to understand which one is the best for us to shell to our customers without problems...

And guess what? Almost all of those boxes were playing with ANY hard disk one knows but not so with DVDs/CDs/CD-RWs/etc... We found out that out of 10 boxes ONLY 2 were playing with 18/20 devices! :eek:

And this was under Mac OS X.2! Under Win2000 & XP even with drivers installed the things were worst! Some times even the boxes with the hard disks weren't recognised by the computers! And some other times the PCs needed a reboot too... However, when used the USB2 ports of some boxes (only those which had such USB2/FireWire capabilities) things got better on the PC side and almost up to par with Mac OS X.2...

Does anyone else noticed similar behaviors? Please, let us know!

ive only tested firewire hard drives on both and both worked *shrugs* :)

but i wouldnt be surprised lol

I had a Win XP machine machine breifly and was impressed at the at OS.

It was not as stable as OS X, but it was alot more stable and better looking than the older versions of Windows. Hardware install was a cinch, truly plug and play. The GUI was so much nicer and happy looking, especially with the default XP theme and the "bliss" wallpaper.

In the end, I returned it (P4 2.0mhz) to the store and bought a clearance Quicksilver 867 for the same price.

One thing I noticed about Windows software, is that alot of it has commercials on it. The MP3 player software has banners on it. My browsers had tons of pop-up never experienced on my Mac, then all the banners in all the streaming players. It's like being in an American high school where Pepsi Co. sponsors everything.

Back