Finally found the world's biggest idiot! (PC'ing his G5...)

It got me.. come on people.. don't be so embarrassed just be cause we got so fired up about this whole thing. I thought it to be quite a funny prank played on us :D

Viktor

iMan said:
It got me.. come on people.. don't be so embarrassed just be cause we got so fired up about this whole thing. I thought it to be quite a funny prank played on us :D

Viktor
you're right!

the xbox one is even better!

:rolleyes:

At least sse2, 3dnowext, etc. work on AMD. Getting AltiVec (Velocity Engine in MacSpeak) to work on G5 was problematic.

Now that should generate some traffic!

(No problem at all with AltiVec on my G4. I don't own an x86 apart from an iMac. The rest are powerpc or sparc.)

At least sse2, 3dnowext, etc. work on AMD. Getting AltiVec (Velocity Engine in MacSpeak) to work on G5 was problematic.

Now that should generate some traffic!

(No problem at all with AltiVec on my G4. I don't own an x86 apart from an iMac. The rest are powerpc or sparc.)

Necro-threading, I see... :D

Well, in retrospect it looks as though the "modder" was foretelling the future. :) Seems like the point is moot in this day and age.

Why doesn't Altivec work on the G5? It has an altivec unit too.

I read elsewhere that Altivec on the G5 was implemented in software while it was hardware-based on the G4. Not sure about the validity of this, but it might explain why he had Altivec problems with said app on the G5.

Again, I'm probably dead wrong on this and I'm leaning more on the side of me being erroneous, but that's what I've read.

Why doesn't Altivec work on the G5? It has an altivec unit too.

The short answer is because it was broken on the G5.

Apple had separate special hand crafted libs for the G4 and G5.

This did not help with own code generated by gcc tree-ssa branch gcc4.

IBM have since fixed this in POWER6 which is great for Linux on sys p users. The G5 iMac was the affordable 64-bit POWER machine, but for people running their own code the altivec was not much use.

The 32-bit G4 has a fully functional altivec. 2 GiB ought to be more than enough for any body. Hang on, didn't some say that about 640 MiB in relation to the 8086?

Gcc4 has no trouble generating code for Core 2 or the AMD for that matter. It is SSE that is similar to altivec. Apple could support both x86 and POWER if they wanted to now that IBM has the GHz which is what normal desk top apps need and altivec now works.

Any way have just been watching videos on my Idiot Inside iMac running Mac OS ¡X86! The stunt for told the future and now Apple really do contain x86 (Core 2) and amd64 (Core 2 Xeon).

Code:
Transition              Architecture     Solution
CISC to RISC transition 680X0 to PowerPC Fat Binary
RISC to CISC transition PowerPC to X86   Universal

I think this young man has a serious frustration of not being able to tell parents what he really likes and dislikes.

I am saddened for parents who actually made a marvelous gift to their child and child did not appreciate it for what it was.

Back