first mac?

I have good memories of my LCIII...I got it for my birthday with the Multimedia kit that had the external CDROM and the big apple pro speakers (I also got a 2400 bps supra fax modem and a mousestick II joystick). I remember how excited I got when I brought it home and set it up for the first time...it's like your first girlfriend, no others are quite the same. Those pro speakers were awesome, I was still using them on my PM 7500 years later and they are still pumping out tunes as if brand new. I had a lot of fun with prince of persia, oregon trail, and sim city on that mac...LOL...those were the days...

The first Mac I used oftem was a Classic (I think a 512k) with no hard drive, but an enormous external 40MB SyQuest drive.

Soon after this one of our friends became the proud owner of the incedibly expensive (something like $12,000) Mac IIfx...

The first Mac I owned personally was a 7200. (It was a peice of c&@p... I should have spent the extra $ on the 7500.)

First Mac I ever owned was a Mac Classic when I was around 4 or 5 or 6, don't remember exactly. I Have no memory what the specs were. It's now in a closet in my dad's office, but it still works fine! I started it up, not too long ago, and it is really surprising how fast it started up! It was 6.0.4, I believe, and it had basically nothing to load on startup, so it was really fast! Noticed how the OS X System Preferences really are like the old control panel from System 6, as it was just one window with different preference "panes".

First Mac I ever owned that was my own was a Performa 636CD. That one was 33 MHz, with around a 250 MB HD (don't remember exactly), and 8 MB of RAM, which I maxed out to 40 megs of RAM, LOL!

Adam.

I was going to a private, Catholic school from 4th thru 8th grades, when in I believe 5th grade we began having computer lab classes where we were taught to type papers under Appleworks on Apple ][e's or gs's (not sure which). I hated it: it was easier to use a typewriter, or even write it by hand! I hated those stupid codes we had to type for bold or quotes or italics, grrrr....
Anyway, then they had a bunch of fundraisers, and bought a labful of LC II's. I sat down at one for the first time; I opened up The Writing Shop (or was it Workshop?) and began to type. Black text on a white background! Color that was bright and friendly! And I will never forget the first thought I had as I started to use my first Mac: "THIS[/] is what using a computer should be like!"
Later on my mom got us a Performa 631CD (LC '040 processor) and that's what I used until freshman year of college (AKA Fall 2000) when I bought my Cube. I *wanted* a G4, but couldn't afford a tower. I like the Cube, but I would trade it for one of the new iMacs (the high-end only) readilly!

1st - Quadra 605 (actually had a Performa 475 for a few days before I returned it for the faster, cheaper Q605)
2nd - PowerMac 6100/66
3rd - PowerMac 8500/132
4th - PowerMac G3/266 Tower
5th - Powerbook G3/333 Lombard
6th - PowerMac G4/400 Sawtooth
7th - Powerbook G4/500
8th - PowerMac G4/800DP

I used to be a real hardcore PC fan until I actually gave Apple a chance to prove that their OS was surperior to Windows. I knew within seconds of turning on my first mac that things would be better.

It all started three years ago with a PowerMac 6100/60 AV

Hello!

Here is my families list of macs in order puchased:

--The dreaded reign of the PC in our family :eek: --
First Mac: Performa 630CD: My mothers macintosh
Second Mac: PowerMac 8500: My first personal macintosh
Third Mac: Mac IIcx: My sisters first computer
Fourth Mac: PowerMac G4 733Mhz: My second personal macintosh
--How it looks in the future: a dozen or so flat screen iMacs (for me to teach a class to homeschoolers), an iBook and PowerBook and maybe a D1Ghz PowerMac--

That's all folks.

Albert

Quadra 660AV...

What an awesome computer! I had it in my college dorm room, and would hook up my VCR to it to watch TV and videos! Talk about avoiding clutter in a small space.

Now I use an iBook 500MHz dual USB. Love it!

-B

First computer was a plus(the beige one) with no internal system disk. (Still works, in fact my dad gave it to my grandparents a year ago for their first computer because it was so reliable.) That sat side by side to a DOS machine and I formed my mac loyalty (I was about 6). Then we had a LCi 25mhz which I used for a LONG time. When I was in 6th grade my best friend and I were going to be computer game programmers so we both started saving our money. Anyone that knows me knows that I am very stingy but with a dollar a week allowance (and later mowing lawns) I finally had enough by my sophomore year in High school. I bought an iMac 266 which I am running OSX to write this now. I love the life span of apple computers.

Next up: I desperately need firewire and although 266 is fast enough for X, Rendering Infini-d would be a lot more fun with a DP ghz machine :)

After using a borrowed Mac Plus for a school project, I bought a Classic 2 for University. Fantastic! Tiny black and white screen. Me and my Uni mates produced the first issue of our long-defunct music magazine on that thing (8 MB of RAM I think), using ALDUS Pagemaker (v 2, I reckon....)

Ah, them were the days....

6100/66 with 8 megs of ram. Ram Doubler was a lifesaver back then. I remember buying an additional 8 megs of ram later on for $300 Cdn. - and that was a great deal! My dad now has this machine, it's upgraded to a G33/233. The power supply on it is currently dead though. Where can we get another?

The first Mac my dad bought was a Macintosh LC back in 1991 (4 mb ram / 40 mb hd / 12" rgb monitor)

The first Mac I used was the original Macintosh in 1984, a showroom model at the store where my dad bought the software for our Apple //c computer (i was 6 years old when we got the //c in April 1984)

and a few weeks ago I bought a second hand beige Macintosh Plus (1 mb ram / no hd) with the original macintosh team signatures...

My first Mac is (not was, IS!),

Dual G4 533mhz Tower (Digital Audio) w/ CDRW, Gigabit Ethernet,
128MB RAM w/256MB Upgrade from Factory which I later added 512 MBs.
17" Apple Studio Display (CRT)
Adobe Design Collection

All that was ordered when I was throughly embarased by two PCs with a graphic job I was doing. It looked great on my PC, took it to my boss and it looked like MUD, went to look at it on my office PC and it STILL looked like MUD, went back to my PC and it looked fine... WHAT THE HECK???!!!

Got the Mac and 2 weeks later I was producing so much better work that I got a very good employment review! :)

Then I got laid off in September! :(

First Mac: flat panel G4 800 MHz iMac (March 2002). :) And it still works! :D

First computer (and I use the term loosely): TI-99/4A way back when.

First Mac used: Classic with tiny black and white 9" screen.

First computer: IBM Aptiva with a Celeron and Windows 98. Was stolen out of my dorm room at the end of my freshman year.

Second computer: iBook 500, DVD. I sold it on ebay about a month ago, in anticipation of getting a new computer for the upcomming semester.

Future computer: iMac, we'll see what happens at MWNY, but hopefully the SuperDrive one will comming my way in August.

Back