GLSL 1.20 not available.

Semune

Registered
I just downloaded a new game called Heroes of Newerth, however when I try to start it up it gives me a "Fatal Error" "GLSL 1.20 not available"... Is there any way to fix this or does this have something to do with my OS?

I have a Mac OS X 10.4.11
Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 1 GB 667 MHz DDr2 SDRAM

Thanks in advance for any help.

Do you have a MacBook? It's not supported - that is, the intergrated video is not supported:
OS X requirements for Heroes of Newerth

Minimum:
Processor - Intel Processor
RAM - 1GB of RAM
Video Card - 128MB fully OpenGL 2.0 / GLSL 1.20 compliant Geforce or Radeon
OS X 10.4 or newer
Network Connection Required

Recommended:
Processor - 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo or faster
RAM - 1.5GB or higher
Video Card - 256MB Geforce 7800+ or Radeon X1900+
Network Connection Required (Broadband)

Supported video cards:
OS X 10.4: Geforce 8600, Radeon HD 2400 or higher
OS X 10.5: Geforce 7300, Quardo FX 4500, Radeon X1600 or higher
Note: Integrated Intel GMA 950/X3100 is not supported

If you have a MacBook, then the last line is the important one for your situation. Your video card doesn't support that game. There is no work-around to get that game to work on your MacBook.

I'm not sure what my computer is to be honest, I'm quite new to a Mac. That kind of sucks if I can't play the game because of some video card issue... especially since on macs you can't replace the card... like on windows. Makes me regret buying a mac. -_-

Alright I just checked out my video card info, I have ATY,RadeonX1600 in my 10.4.

The system requirements say RadeonX1600 is accepted for 10.5 but not 10.4, makes no sense to me, but I guess that is my problem... any way to fix it or am I just screwed?

especially since on macs you can't replace the card... like on windows
That is a big bag of misinformation. You can replace the video card on a Mac, and the process to doing so is identical as it is on a Windows machine: turn off machine, take out old video card, install new video card, turn on machine.

Oh, that's right. There's one less step with the Mac: no need to download and install any video drivers.

Granted, there are fewer video cards made for Mac than there are for Windows, but as for replacing the card, you most definitely can, and it's a hell of a lot easier on a Mac than it is on Windows.

On a Mac laptop, you can't replace the video card... but then again, you can't on a Windows laptop, either.

...any way to fix it or am I just screwed?
Like the requirements state, install 10.5.

System requirements for new games are always nice to check into before you purchase the game, eh?
The OP has an iMac (maybe a MacBook Pro?), I think.
I will disagree with ElDiableConCaca on video card upgrades. Outside of the various Mac towers, few Macs have any possibility of upgrading the video. A failed video card almost always means replacing the logic board. Even those iMac models with replaceable cards don't have upgrade options available, so upgrading the video in most Macs is impractical, at best, and certainly not easier than on a PC tower.
The only available upgrades for Macs are for some PowerMac G4s, and (quite limited) for G5 towers. Again with the MacPro tower, some video upgrades are available, and simple to do. There's likely more options now than on older PowerMacs.
Not for iMacs. Pulling out the logic board to replace a video daughterboard is not my idea of an easy task.

Anyway, the X1600 would be supported, but appears to need Leopard (OS X 10.5) or higher to use the game, as EDCC suggested.

i have the same issue i had some what bad attitude towards MAc and decided give another chance and formatted my macbook( i had boot camp with windows). While i had windows on i didnt use my Mac side ever mayb once a month,anyway for point of my post is,

basically i played HON on this macbook(windows partition) using boot camp but when i change operating systems ( to Mac) it fails, same computer. I just think it is lousy by Mac or game developers that it does not work in Mac when i was running it in Windows .... anyone know any ways around this ? im assuming there isnt except buy a new computer = = or re instal bookcamp.

if your still confused basically with the same machine windows runs Hero of Newerth but OSX does not with the same hardware

Hi.
my mac: 10.4.11
HoN says: GLSL 1.20 not available

HoN also says: Supported video cards:
OS X 10.4: Geforce 8600, Radeon HD 2400 or higher
OS X 10.5: Geforce 7300, Quardo FX 4500, Radeon X1600 or higher

!!! ---> OS X 10.5: Geforce 7300, Quardo FX 4500, Radeon X1600 or higher

Radeon X1600 !! + OS X 10.4 (mine)

conclusion:
now i gotta pay arround 200€ to update from OS X 10.4 -> OS X 10.5 ?
to get OpenGL 1.20 support to play a free beta game?

dont come arround with all those other features the update may possibly bring they are anyway useless for me.

ridiculous

guys... and you tell me about mac is doing it right? try to defend your *company* gogogo

or get me a graphic update which would be much more productive. i mean i can almost buy a fukn new pc for that money. (got my connections)

greetz

There's a reason Apple is still in business (and whooping every other PC vendor's arse in the process). If you can't see what's directly in front of your nose, then us trying to explain why we prefer Mac would be like talking to a brick wall.

I think it's rather neanderthal-ish to pass judgement on an entire company because a single, stupid game doesn't work on your system (or perhaps because you failed to check the system requirements before downloading the game?). Just because a carpenter can't work on your toilet doesn't make him/her a bad carpenter.

If you can build a PC for that cheap, I say go for it. Come back and gloat about all the bells and whistles and power it has and all the time you can waste playing all the games that are out there. You get what you pay for.

That just tells me that the developer of HoN is, for whatever reason, only supporting certain levels of Mac systems. That's not unusual...
Putting the blame on Apple is a little misplaced, don't you think? The game developer could probably easily support your older software, if they chose to do that...
If you want to try that game on your Mac, at least you know what you need to do to get it to work. That makes you better off than some, like the OP in this thread, who missed the video requirements, and wanted to know why it wouldn't run on unsupported hardware.

1 There's a reason Apple is still in business

2 all the time you can waste playing all the games that are out there.

1 doesnt mean anything :D think about it.
2 go watch Ben X

we dont have to talk about pros and contras of apple.. :( my bad
Thank you anyway for your fast respones.. i was just a little emotionally touched.. guess its normally for me. because i failed in solving my problem.
also: the game needs new openGL to be what it is.. so if my hardware that i bought from apple is compatible to it, its a software issue... than apple could possibly more easily just update my graphic adapter than making the developers think about decrees their potentials?? wish there would be like omegadrivers for macintosh.

Hey, i have the a similar probelm but a little different when i open up heros of newerth it says "openGL 2.0 bot available i have a Mac OS X 10.5.8 processor 1.83ghz intel core 2 duo memory 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM if you can help that would be great

If you have a MacBook, then the integrated graphics chip is not supported for HON. Look at the #3 post on this thread.

Haha ... Which iMac? If you go into your System Profiler (Apple Menu, About This Mac, Click on the More Info button), then click on the Graphics/Displays tab. What video chipset do you have?

Back