Graphics Nightmare on Leo....

Fred Flinstone

XP Divorcee - Mac Virgin
Hi All.

I am not sure what's going on but I have been plagued by lines on the monitor for nearly a month now - I suspect as a result of applying the fix from the apple site for Leo. On top of this I am experiencing frequent lock ups and in particular poor performance with firefox. These lines appear randomly - sometimes on the desktop, sometimes in the active application like dirty great schatches of colour horizontally across the screen

I have a generation 1 Intel 24" iMac which I bought on the day it was launched. It is the acrylic one. I have since upgraded to Leo from Tiger and added the new keyboard (another mess as far as I am concerned - as a graphic designer I now need to use hotk eys to access the F keys as they have all been mapped to dashboard functions or similar. Wow! Great Shakes!!!) and although I had one or two problems initially they were not as bad as they are now. I had no graphics problems to speak of but applied this patch thinking it might somehow improve areas I wasn't aware of.... The opposite seems to be the case....

Can this be removed without wrecking my current install? I hope so as the least fuss to resolve the problem would be the most appealing solution.

Similarly can I wind back from Leo to Tiger without losing my files?

These are the most important things I feel for now but anyone else having the frequency of system lock ups and problems with firefox? I have recently upgraded my memory from 1Gb to 2Gb but seems to make no difference to performance at all.....

Thanks in advance....

I don't know about the graphics problems but the keyboard is an easy one. Go to Keyboard Prefs and check the box...

kb.png

Do the lines show up in screenshots? If so, post one. (apple-shift-3 or 4). If not, you have a hardware issue.

Wow, I missed that option for the keyboard. That's very helpful, even though it wasn't directed at me. Thanks, simbalala.

Do the lines show up in screenshots? If so, post one. (apple-shift-3 or 4). If not, you have a hardware issue.

Yes indeed.....

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/8a8b04d91c.jpg

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/2cdda9c8d9.jpg

The images are not downloading well to this page so I have included the links separately for both screen grabs....

- Pretty horrible wouldn't you say???

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM61.0093.B07

OS X 10.5.2

Last edited:
Not sure I know what you mean...... I use MacHelp Mate and DiskWarrior to clean up the machine and reset the prebindings etc. I have had several lock ups in recent days (lost 3 or so images I was working on in the process) and have to Hard Restart each time

No matter what I do I continue to be plagued by crashes and this horrible line issue. Can this update be removed????? Can I rewind to Tiger from Leo keeping my files intact? I'm beginning to think that Leo is like Vista and it's a memory hungry waste of time!

to reset the PRAM, which basically flushes the hardware, including graphics hardware, hold apple+option+p+r as you turn the mac on, holding it until you hear the startup chime 2-4 times, then let go and let it boot.

...any update on the possibility of installing Tiger over Leopard???..... seems like the only thing for this now is to back up and reformat....

These lines also appear on Video Windows.......

Do you still have Applecare? Does anyone know if Apple offers tech support for software such as retail OS X?

I would call Apple. Might even be worth paying them to help you solve the problem if you don't have free support anymore.

Doug

No I don't... I do have an Apple Agent nearby though. This problem as mentioned is unlikely to be hardware as most often the lines snap randomly to different applications.... if it is hardware it would surely affect the entire sreen all the time..... Never seen a hardware problem specifically target particular open app windows.....

I might print a few screenshots and bring them round there to see if it helps any.... save that I will find a way of backing all my work up and ditch Leo for once and for all...... seems more trouble than it's worth when Tiger worked perfectly fine.

I am also having regular crash issues with Firefox and Photoshop opened simultaneously...... Things work fine until all of a sudden one or other app locks up the Mac totally..... forcing a hard reboot!

The one thing that really bugs me though (whether it's Mac or Windows) is the downtime in reinstalling the OS and apps - not to metion the reformatting.....

I'm a bit of a hypocrite nowadays if I bash Windows users for downgrading from Vista. I replaced Leopard with Tiger on my new MacBook Pro simply because I need to work more than I need to have pretty video conferences. The kernel panics and freeze-ups were seriously bad in Leopard.

That's exactly what I'm feeling right now having had years of misery with XP..... I rate Vista as 1000 times worse.... painful does not describe the user experiance both my wife and I have with it.... Right click a file on the desktop and wait anything in between 90 seconds and 3 minutes for the dialog to come up... Then an explorer is unresponsive message when you click what action you are trying to perform - more often than not cut and paste... F***ing Awful!!!!

As for Mac... Helpful as this forum has been to me I doubt I can hang on much longer waiting for a solution to the graphics breakdown problem or any advice on downgrading the OS.... Tiger worked rather well on 10.4.11 and I can't recall any major crashes.....

Looks like I am going to have to find a way of backing up what I can for now onto the Vista box and duly pull the plug on Leopard.... Need to get some work done without the nuisance d=factor on the one hand and data losses on the other on account of the crashes!

Leopard seriously does not amuze me.....

...any update on the possibility of installing Tiger over Leopard???..... seems like the only thing for this now is to back up and reformat....

These lines also appear on Video Windows.......

As with most OS's you cannot "downgrade" easily. Maybe you can install Tiger on another disk (external) and start from Tiger.

Did you do an upgrade to Leopard, or did you archive and install/format the drive? I've never known straight upgrades to work well.

Viro makes a good point. If you feel like installing Leopard again, install over Tiger using the Leopard install DVD. Once Leopard is installed, re-boot using the same install DVD and perform an Erase and Install. This should de-Tigerize your Mac.

It may seem a pain to repeat the install process, but it solved a lot of problems for me.

Back