Help me get a mac book!

Lt Major Burns said:
if my memory serves me, he has an iMac G5, a mac mini, a B+W G3 Power Mac and i think a powerbook/ibook. either way it's all worth about 3 times the price of a macbook.

In which case, either sell what you've got or be content with being a spoilt kid, rather than a greedy spoilt kid. Not much of a choice, I know, you you've made your bed... or got your maid to do it for you.

lol, i just have to laugh at this one. i've already had my say to this kid in an older thread. all i have to say now is that i mad it through high school on my dad's mac+ (i'm a 96' grad), then in collage i was able to get my hands on a quadra 800 (about 2000). and it took me 5yrs to go from that quadra to the g4/466 that i have now. and the only way i was able to get that was because i found a guy willing to part with it cheap. i'm sorry, but all i can say is that there is no reason in the world that his parents should get him a macbook, he needs to work himself to death to earn it on his own like i had to to get my macs!

his, him, he -> you. Since it's obvious that cj will read this thread, you can address him as "you". ;)

sinclair_tm said:
lol, i just have to laugh at this one. i've already had my say to this kid in an older thread. all i have to say now is that i mad it through high school on my dad's mac+ (i'm a 96' grad), then in collage i was able to get my hands on a quadra 800 (about 2000). and it took me 5yrs to go from that quadra to the g4/466 that i have now. and the only way i was able to get that was because i found a guy willing to part with it cheap. i'm sorry, but all i can say is that there is no reason in the world that his parents should get him a macbook, he needs to work himself to death to earn it on his own like i had to to get my macs!

agreed i saved my way up to buy my Powerbook for about 18 months before i bought it, worked my butt off. next year i want to replace my Dell with a Mini and probably get a 17" MacBook Pro before i graduate college or as a Graduation gift to myself. For everything I have, the Canon i9900, the Nikon Camera, I worked for, overtime and saved pennies for over a year just to get them, while still paying close to $4000 a semester for school on my own, I am just lucky that i commute to school and still living with the 'rents for now.

Its not the machine that makes you creative and get a better job, its what you can do with it.

I think your problem, CJ, is that you hear people here saying "Oh, I want to get this and that!" and you want it too, which is normal. And as you still don't support yourself, you find it fair to ask your parents.

But don't forget that most people around here actually work and when they say they want something, that means they'll have to save for it!

Now, unless your parents are filthy rich, maybe you should follow the excellent advice that was given already.

When you're finally able to get something from your work, you'll see that you'll give much more value to things.

If you really want it CJ, and if your parents aren't payin for it, do odd jobs around your neighborhood.

Mow lawns, Walk Dogs, Lemonade Stand, Deliver the paper, etc. etc. it may take a while but it will be worth it, cause you paid for it

Thanks for the really usable questions, they help allot.
On the other hand thanks to sinclair_tm, Giaguara, RGrphc2, Esquilinho, Factor41 and davebz that actually want to help me.
This is supposed to be a support site, people used to tell me off to grammar and punctuation etc, but why dont the people that give the answers that dont help, why not tell them off.
Maybe I will try some other site.

Thanks again to sinclair_tm, Giaguara, RGrphc2, Esquilinho, Factor41 and davebz

No thanks to others.

sinclair_tm said:

HUH I didnt post that?

I don't think it's your age, I think it's your attitude. People on this site are passionate about their Macs, new and old. You seem to dismiss anything other than latest technology as worthless which is what got you off on the wrong foot. I also don't think the support aspect of the site is really there to answer questions like, "How can I get some cash to buy a MacBook."

Your grammar is pretty bad, though. Perhaps you should stop trying to find ways of raising cash for new Macs and spend some time doing your homework.

CJ MAC OSX IPOD said:
HUH I didnt post that?
It's got your name on it...

Factor41 said:
I don't think it's your age, I think it's your attitude. People on this site are passionate about their Macs, new and old. You seem to dismiss anything other than latest technology as worthless which is what got you off on the wrong foot. I also don't think the support aspect of the site is really there to answer questions like, "How can I get some cash to buy a MacBook."

Your grammar is pretty bad, though. Perhaps you should stop trying to find ways of raising cash for new Macs and spend some time doing your homework.

It's got your name on it...

yeah but I didnt?
I have excellent memory 1GB (lol)

Hey! I suggested a paper round, that wasn't negative ;). I remember the tech-aquisition-lust, I guess now I'm just old enough to a.) Afford it and conversely b.) end up not spending that much on it.

Good luck!

At least pay for half of the Mac... I paid for half of my Powerbook, when I was younger, and I think that my parents were too generous there (and they're well off). Now I'm buying a Macbook with my own money.

I know I'm older, but still, you shouldn't be expecting your parents to buy you everything, especially at such a price. I said I'd save up for the Powerbook myself, but my parents said they'd buy it for my good GCSE results. But I insisted paying at least 50%.

Convert said:
At least pay for half of the Mac... I paid for half of my Powerbook, when I was younger, and I think that my parents were too generous there (and they're well off). Now I'm buying a Macbook with my own money.

I know I'm older, but still, you shouldn't be expecting your parents to buy you everything, especially at such a price. I said I'd save up for the Powerbook myself, but my parents said they'd buy it for my good GCSE results. But I insisted paying at least 50%.

Lucky you! my parents haven't paid for anything since i got out of community college. granted i did milk that for the life of me :D i know a lot of people around my age (20-25) who's parents still pay for EVERYTHING last semester this one girl had her parents got her a fully loaded 17" Powerbook and the Canon i9900 that i have now. and before that they got her an G4 iMac that she barely uses. but she claims that she's not spoiled. :rolleyes:

its people that dont support themselves now, they wont know how to later on, its ridiculous. responsiblity is something most people today don't know, and its gonna be harder for them later on in life.

CJ MAC OSX IPOD said:
Thanks for the really usable questions, they help allot.
On the other hand thanks to sinclair_tm, Giaguara, RGrphc2, Esquilinho, Factor41 and davebz that actually want to help me.
This is supposed to be a support site, people used to tell me off to grammar and punctuation etc, but why dont the people that give the answers that dont help, why not tell them off.
Maybe I will try some other site.

Thanks again to sinclair_tm, Giaguara, RGrphc2, Esquilinho, Factor41 and davebz

No thanks to others.

Well, except for the fact that I suggested all of that pretty much on the first page of the thread:

Yep -- save your money. A MacBook isn't going to help you get better grades or make you a better designer or anything -- that's all based upon your own skills, study habits, and time management.

You've already got 4 other Macintosh computers (if I interpret your sig correctly) that should get you through the semester just fine. Misleading your parents into thinking that you NEED the MacBook for your classes is wrong -- if you just WANT a MacBook, tell them that and ask them how they can help you (instead of lying to them to get out of the "hassle" of saving your own money).

Instead of hitting up your parents for 100% of the cost so you can get a free notebook from them, why don't you work out a deal with them -- they pay for half, you pay for the other half with something like yard work, good grades, chores, or some kind of pay-your-parents-by-the-month plan.

If you wanna "try some other site," by all means, try some other site then. Don't make idle threats -- if you want to go somewhere else, go somewhere else -- no need to tell us you're going somewhere else. But if you wanna stay, I think you'll find that this is the best support site around, and that no one here was rude to you -- sure, they may not have given you the answers that you want, but they're still valid answers. Kinda like if you said, "My computer won't boot!" and we suggested reinstalling the whole operating system... sure, it would have been nice if we said, "Just press ENTER three times and it will boot," but that would have been false. We give honest, straightforward answers here -- we tell it like it is and we don't sugar-coat it. Same goes for this thread -- you wanted to know how you could get your parents to pay for a MacBook, and I (as well as everyone else) suggested many, many, many ways to do it. You may not like the answers, but the answers are what we did when we were your age to get stuff, so that's what we're suggesting. We worked for our stuff, and in turn, we appreciated it so much more than if someone just handed it to us. I think you'll find the same experience.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Well, except for the fact that I suggested all of that pretty much on the first page of the thread:

If you wanna "try some other site," by all means, try some other site then. Don't make idle threats -- if you want to go somewhere else, go somewhere else -- no need to tell us you're going somewhere else. But if you wanna stay, I think you'll find that this is the best support site around, and that no one here was rude to you -- sure, they may not have given you the answers that you want, but they're still valid answers. Kinda like if you said, "My computer won't boot!" and we suggested reinstalling the whole operating system... sure, it would have been nice if we said, "Just press ENTER three times and it will boot," but that would have been false. We give honest, straightforward answers here -- we tell it like it is and we don't sugar-coat it. Same goes for this thread -- you wanted to know how you could get your parents to pay for a MacBook, and I (as well as everyone else) suggested many, many, many ways to do it. You may not like the answers, but the answers are what we did when we were your age to get stuff, so that's what we're suggesting. We worked for our stuff, and in turn, we appreciated it so much more than if someone just handed it to us. I think you'll find the same experience.

Sorry for missing you out

Convert said:

The MacBook is cheaper than the PowerBook

Well I will be using it for graphics so I wont be lying.

Also what I was thinking Was paying it monthly or getting money from my birthday to pay for it.

You should really consider (if possible) mowing lawns (if you can). My nephew (he was 14) made over $1000 in four months. His father and I we really surprised!

If you start paying off things at 13, how much will you be down when you are 21? A few thousand or a few hundredthousand bucks?

Back