HELP OUT fellow MACUSERS -- please read!

so it was the Italians. not a bad guess i made:D

thanks blb!!

which proves once again that knowing where to find the answer is every bit as valuable as knowing the answer.

lol.. I must be one of the few greeks that REALLY hates gyros :p -- I dont like lamb in general, or whatever gyros is made from ( I think its lamb) -- I prefer kebab "gyros" which is made from pork :D

I enjoy baklava and anything with phyllo dough (excluding seafood.)

Admiral, whats up with this...

Don't know how it is around you, but every diner in my town is owned and operated by a greek person. Is this common?

If the simpsons have a diner, would it be run by greeks? Kind of compliments apu and his kwik-i-mart.:D

hehe! Greek diners are a must... Anybody remember the SNL skit with the guys in the Greek diner...?

"No coke! Pepsi!"

"You don't want a cheeseburger? Look! Cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger..."

well there was a trend to that.
When most greeks migrated they either became laborers or entrepreneurs. The people who chose to become entrepreneurs went into the food industry (or whatever you call it) and for a great while other greeks fresh off the boat followed by example since it seemed to be a lucrative business. When that market saturated other greeks went into the gasstation/repairshop businesses and by example others followed. They are just trends, and since most greek businesses are family operated, when the father "retires" the son or daughter would take over the running of the business (this seems to be less and less of a phenonmenon these days since kids go out and do their thing if they so wish to).

As for balkava, I am not that big of a sweets kinda person, but on occasion I do enjoy a piece of balkava.

My ALL TIME FAVORITE thing to eat is spinach pie! I can eat it hot or cold, its THE BEST! :D

Admiral

mmmmmmm....hey adam where do you live ? does your mother cook traditional greek things ? :p .. lol maybe I will come visit more often :p

I love spanakopita :D

hey adam do you like loukoumades ?
(fried dough balls, with syrup and cinammon)

i'm with Phil, baklava is great stuff. those little cinnimon dough balls sound good too though.

I used to work with a guy whose mom would bring us in freash baklava every so often. What a treat!!:)

Eh, I live in Los Angeles, but you wouldn't want to visit, though, my mom's the non-Greek half of me (Polish).... sorry... so she doesn't cook Greek stuff. Ah, but my Sakellarides relatives in New York.... yes, they cook all sorts of Greek goodies.

And, sadly, no, I have not tried loukoumades... although, I just discovered two Greek places to eat by my college, "Sophia's" and "Daphne's"... so I think some food testing is in order soon.

NY sounds closer to me, notify the relatives that the Admiral will be crashing :p hehe :)

I highly recommend that you try loukoumades, my grandmother made them and they are deeeeelicious! FInd a greek pastry shop and ask if they have them. I have gone Greek pastry shops here in Boston and some of em have it :)

All this talk of greek diners made me hungry. I went down to the alexis diner tonight and had pancakes and homefries. :D

I am waiting to see earth final conflict and then I am heading down town ...get some ral food and some brain food :p

Admiral

so what am i wrong about this time? how to spell baklava or how yummy it tastes?

couldn't be about how yummy i think it tastes. which is very yummy.

baklava is how its spelled. I like it, but its too sweet at times. I am not a person who likes sweets a lot, once in a while I crave them though :p

Admiral

Back