Herve's Bar & Grill

Good story VirtualTracy.
On the Isle of Harris/Tweed (same summer). I was in a pub. The accents were strange. I realized after a moment they were speaking Gaelic. I struck-up a conversation easily with the crowd and unlike the Flamonds in Belgium (nationalist idiots), they immediatly started to speak English (unlike the Flamonds), seeing how I didn't understand the language. Ladies & Gentlemen, what. The evening was very long and full of laughs. In those days the pubs closed at 10 o'clock. But that was enough.

That's also a good story, reed :)

Harris/Tweed ... inner or outer Hebrides ... I can't remember but would have loved to have visited the Outer Hebs ... got to the isles of Iona & Staffa, which were fantastic in themselves !

Your story about the Flamonds made me chuckle as it reminded me of the time I was in a German church and a French lady came in asking for help in a strong French accent ... the big German lady looked at her unblinkingly and replied ... "Bitte?".

I'd taught myself French in the year leading up to our holiday so I took great pride in understanding that the French lady was asking what time the museum shut ... I got out my my pamphlet, found the closing time and informed her in her native tongue ... ;)

Both. Iona, the dead and buried Scottish Kings, Mull, etc. But Outer Herbrides via Stornaway Ferry back to the mainland was the pub story. In fact we can do a thread on pub stories, but let us not bore everybody.

You were a good tourist. Not always the case. Merci pour elle. Hey, yet another thread idea....ugly tourists or bad experiences in foreign lands.

Mm, beach....
any suggestions for a beach, to enjoy around thanksgiving? Argentina, Mexico or somewhere else?

Well 12°C worked well enough for my parents (even if you feel the urge to take them to the European Court of Human Rights).

They probably had to stay warm somehow...
But yes, any beach with at least 25C in November sounds good. Can't decide even which country to look such beach at that time of year...

Hm... could be an option I guess. Need to be able to get some relatively direct flights from both US and Europe, and Cuba doesn't work (would like though). So so far was considering Argentina and Mexico, maybe Portugal or Spain...

Could do :)
Need to have a look for flights. Buenos Aires doesn't look like an option any more, the flight prices have gone up so much in a week (to double). Hm, Nuoro...

Argh. I woke up from nightmares involving [a frustrating server management product that runs in Windows 2003] and Windows registries and Windows locale settings, and this wasn't for the first time either...
Time to get some time this weekend to do something to the resume again. I hate Windows [any version of] enough while I'm awake if I need to use it, but getting Windows in my nightmares is just too much.

Oh, I only use Windows at work, and only when I have to there.
So apart of the corp Dell laptop and the humongous dock and 2 screens for it, I have a MacBook and a Mac Mini with another display at the desk. And now an iMac that I simply took from my boss' desk - he quit a week ago so it was a case of take it or lose it.
On the next few days, I will try to reduce that Dell to be an XP virtual machine in Ubuntu and all the Macs, and then as install + reinstall random linuxes in it.
But that will be secondary in the next few days.

Back