Herve's Bar & Grill

Well, isn't lock in a world wide term? When pubs close the doors, for a while you can keep drinking. So if you are in before it closes, it can be fine for quite a while after.. doors close at midnight, and quit serving at 3 or something like that.

One lock in I had in Ireland in 1995, was in a makeshift bar at the back of a farmhouse. There were still about 10 of us in there at six in the morning, including a Garda Síochána Superintendent. As you can imagine we were all worse for wear.

Garda.jpg

Ha that garda thing nails it :)

The best lock ins in Ireland you can have in Cape Clear. It's got 2 pubs, and they are open any day needed (including Xmas and Good Friday, when they are closed off everywhere else). In an island with 150 inhabitans (Cape Clear that is, Eire has a few more) there is no need for a garda, so if they need one they will ship one with the next ferry from Baltimore (yep, there is Baltimore in Ireland).

You can also catch a small tourist boat to the island from Skull. When I was on the boat the captain was telling rude Catholic jokes over the intercom. None of the tourists on board seemed to be listening, but I had a good chuckle.

Incidentally, I camped in Skull with some British and Canadian cyclists in the mid-1990s. One of the party - Big John - was attacked by an amorous donkey who clearly took a fancy to him. Poor old John turned around after folding away his tent to face a very aroused donkey leaping up onto him. Believe me, it was an horrific sight to behold.

When Big John eventually recovered, he said it wouldn't have been so bad if the donkey hadn't been so ugly! Unfortunately he decided to relate this story in graphic detail during his best man's speech at my wedding reception. I'll never forgive him for that.

Heh. Schull, I guess it would be spelled, but then everything in Gaelic can get spelled in a lot of different ways, good language for dyslexics. Schull is nice too, but I've always taken the ferry from Baltimore. But doesn't matter which one to take, as long as you get there. (Unline us one Christmas, missed the ferry so we stayed in Baltimore, then went to Schull..)
Hm... would that be 'West Britain'?

Schull, I guess it would be spelled
Yes, you're right. It is spelt Schull. My memory lets me down.

Hm... would that be 'West Britain'?
No, my West Britain euphemistically refers to Wales (where I live). I would never describe any part of Ireland as 'British'.

Interestingly though, people born and bred in Ireland who behave pompously or arrogantly towards others are often referred to as the West British.

This insult exists because there is still wide spread belief in Ireland that the British are all stuck up snobs. Some indeed are, but the vast majority of modern day Brits are either easy-going gentle folk or, sadly, celebrity-obsessed dipsticks with no imagination whatsoever.

Well, if there is one difference between the British and the Irish (like), it must be that the civilized countries don't wear Holly Hill pink (color). :)
Wales... been there once. Spent 1/2 day to find a person who would speak Welsh to write a postcard to my then-boyfriend (knowing it would take him good babelfish and other skills somewhere far far away form any Welsh speakers to get it translated). Maybe should do a Cardiff weekend one of the free weekends around...

Wales... been there once. Spent 1/2 day to find a person who would speak Welsh to write a postcard to my then-boyfriend ....
At the risk of turning this into a private discussion (which I am enjoying), let me tell you that to find a person in Wales who speaks Welsh as their first language (and there are 750,000 of them) you have to go inland away from the coast and cities. The same is true for the native languages in the Basque Country and in Ireland (as you probably know). Here's some info on Wales.

Wales_Map.jpg

Last edited:
Da iawn Reed. Bendigedig!

BTW, Giaguara my family and I lived in North Cork for four years, spending our summer holidays west of Dingle (near Ballyferriter). My wife is fluent in Irish.

I don't mind Scots.. or English with a Scottish accent. The guys from around Glasgow have a really nice accent.

Not bad VirtualTracy...

"Ah ol aa UU" is what I got. A truck driver from Glasgow in a B&B in Inverness, way back when. After three tries I answered him correctly. I was 17 at the time. We had a very nice chat after. I was always wondering if he understood my accent, seeing I could understand only half of what he said. Great guy. Duncan was his name. For the record.

Scotland Forever.

I'll never forget the time we were back in Scotland in 1988 and had travelled up to the Orkney Isles. I was in a shop, waiting for the shopkeeper to finish serving another lady. I could hear that they were talking in their local dialect but after about half a minute or so, I started to realise they were talking English! Albeit with a local accent!

I was quite stunned ... Glasgow has a few different accents, pretty much like anywhere, and I distinctly recall when I was learning to read at school, the moment when I realised that a word I'd used freely for so long; 'gee' (with a g as in garage), was more commonly known as 'give' ... I found it fascinating to learn a whole new version of English that I could integrate with my slang version ...

Back