Herve's Bar & Grill

it's sitting right there on the bar in front of you BB. I know it is kinda hard to see thru the tears.

so does your dad not have the money to help you out on this or is he trying to teach you about the real economics and responsibilities? didn't he have to ok it when you bought it? or was the condition that you sell the pc for a certain amount of money?

it also sounds to me like you got screwed on the original financing of the dell. how long have you had it?

let me know when you finish that one and you're ready for another. or whatever else you want. maybe we should get out the chocolates.;)

We both thought we would have the computer sold by now, so we ordered the day they came out...

I was definitely screwed on financing... 4 years... i've had it one (bought it January 2001)... I thought that processor speed wouldn't go as fast as it did, so I thought the 866 MHz would last at least 2 years!

Thanks for the drink idea... I mixed Pepsi, Mountain Dew, and some 7-Up we had around... it tasted "weird" but it was strong!

I bet I can get Apple to take back the iMac or I can sell it to my boss (he's a Mac Fanatic... he bought a New G4 a few weeks ago along with 2 new iBooks (not the "ice"books, but the older ones, but new) and a PowerBook G4.. he'd love one of these!)

well, getting the combinations right in that drink is the tricky part. not too much cola, really just enough for color. more or less 50/50 with the other 2. seemed more appropriate than a shirley temple given the circumstances!:D

it does seem a shame to return it. if somebody you knew bought it, at least you could go visit it - sorta like giving a puppy away to a friend. Hell, you could probably sell it to somebody on the site. there are plenty of people here who are interested in that computer.

so how tough is your dad being about this? or is he pretty understanding (yet firm) about it?

I know just how you feel BlingBling. I'm pining for a motor-scooter right now (so I can zip into town and back without burning a hole in my wallet) but have had to put it off.
Why? Because with my new "student" status (assuming my Uni app goes through) I can't get finance. I have the best credit rating of anyone I know: no bad debts, and a $4000 loan nearly paid off with each and every payment on time, every time. I can show them that I have an income, I can show them that it is within my budget, but I can't get that loan.
I have no idea how I'm going to drive my Celica to Ballarat every day (more than an hour each way) and still have money to eat. I cannot get any real money for it if I sold it, certainly nothing close to its value. I paid $4000 for it 4 years ago (with logbooks and very low mileage) and have kept it in A1 shape with regular service, but now its $500 tops. And besides, I want to keep it.
It is Sooo FRUSTRATING!

I need a drink. One of those mountain dew things sounds great, I can sob into it all day.

And, BlingBling, I wouldn't bother upgrading your PC, if you're hoping to ditch it eventually anyway.

Do what you want! Buy some Appleshares with your money. You don't need a pcupgrade. You will loose 320 or more posts. All what you were before will be lost. And in fact there are many bad motherboards in shop and the vendor won't tell you. You have to grown up.

one Ed's mountain dew thing coming up mate. sorry to hear your situation has gotten so complex symphonix. i can relate to the student catch-22 type deal. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. it's probably the reason so few people go back to school. too much to give up to get more. I'm not sure i would have done it if i hadn't hit what felt like rock bottom at the time. no doubt that uni will improve your life in the long run. but your life will get put on hold in the meantime.
btw - hope you heard me yakking at you about the monkey superbowl commercial a while back. if not, read back in the thread. Your buddy Blingbling provided a link so you can see what i was talking about.

take your shoes off and stay awhile.

hmm, BB - sounds like everybody is advising you to cool your jets and just save for what you really want. any real reason you need so much more computer right now?

boy, i just ate a delicious orange that came from a friend's tree. does anybody else grow their own food of any kind. feel free to bring it in and share. here i'll just put these orange quarters out on the bar for everybody to try.:cool:

Ahh... that hit the spot. Thanks, Ed, I feel better now.

And you are right, I am going to Uni because I have hit what feels like a brick wall. You've probably heard about me and IBM, or at least heard all I want to share. And I'm really looking forward to going back to school. I've sort of re-sorted my values and have decided that working my way up the corporate ladder would either destroy me or turn me into something I don't want to be. A lot of these corporates go hunting for the smartest, most imaginative people, then cram them into a mould that doesn't fit them, or a job that destroys their souls. I've seen a lot of brilliant young people get chewed up by the company I was working for before big blue. They come in with sharp minds, kind hearts and fire in their eyes; then get slowly turned into yes-men, lackeys and pencil-pushers.

Arrrggg! I'm going to need something stronger.

Another mountain dew and cola, this time with a STRAWBERRY!

The sun is shining, it's around +2°C, and I have nothing to do right now, after spending the whole weekend on changing hard drives, reorganizing my network and moving the old powermac to another room (while the monitor/burner/keyboard/mouse/speakers still are in the same room, with the cables going through the wall. All this to isolate the noise from 3 hard drives and 2 fans. It's really cool :cool:

Uhm, I've never tasted mountain dew, in europe we only have some stuff called "battery" and "red bull". It all tastes awful as hell. Red bull isn't even alowed in norway 'cos it contains "too much caffeine" -almost as much as coffee! :p
Would anyone mind sending me a couple of bottles of mountain dew? :rolleyes: :D

Uhm, yah, I love making non-alcoholic drinks :)
Here's a recipe for a really good one (one glass):
-a little Urge (or Surge, as it's called in the US, you know, that coca-cola drink)
-some 7-up (or sprite)
-some millilitres of schweppes Russian and Tonic Water
-some apple juice
-some juice of another kind (but not orange)
-when you've mixed all that, have something with red color that is heavier per cm2 than soda in the glass (e.g. something with much sugar), to make the drink look even cooler :cool:

try that, it's awesome :)

Ed, for the price of upgrading my computer, I could upgrade the rest of my computers in my house... 3 total...

1) Upgrade my Dell to around 1.7 GHz (I think)

2) Upgrade my HP from 350 MHz to 866 MHz (So my sisters can shut up about how slow it is)

3) Upgrade my 386 (not MHz.. the 386 Processor) to 350 MHz So I can finally run a Network Server

All in all, it wouldn't be so bad... only $418.59 total to upgrade 3 computers... I've got all the other parts, so that's all I would need.

Now... lemme answer some more questions!

so how tough is your dad being about this? or is he pretty understanding (yet firm) about it?
He actually said it was ok for me to buy the Mac because he thought the Dell would sell also... he likes it too, but we can't afford any more computers (unless we would have sold the dell)

Buy some Appleshares with your money.
Thanks Herve for your suggestion, but we stopped doing e-trading a few months ago... i'll wait until "the next big thing" comes out to buy some stock...

Mine's a pint, please Ed, with a single-malt whisky chaser if you have any...

It's half past two on asunday afternoon. I should have left work an hour ago and be in the pub by now, but nothing works, so I figured I'd drop by and get some sustenance here. What's good on the menu today?

You have my sympathies, Bling. I am faced with the possibility of having to sell my iPod to cover a somewhat unbudgeted-for house move... There's the best part of a month's rent tied up in that baby.

Bartender!
Coffee! Iced Coffee! Black!

people dont shout please :p

As for polymorphism.... if you've never seen the admiral jsut as he wakes up, jere is your chance :p

Admiral

Dont worry Mr. Hang-over, I have 20 different types of Asprin, Tylenol, etc. Just puke away from my new sneakers and you will be fine.

Wow it's a full bar today!

Hey what's Admiral doing with his head on the bar?
Oh I see, Ouzo strikes back.
You really shouldn't be drinking coffee in this state. It will just acidify you stomach more Admiral. Water is the key. Let's rehydrate yourself.

Ed, can we get a pitcher of water and a glass. Maybe some dry toast if he feels he can eat something.

damn, i think maybe i should consider getting some help behind the bar.

Wanted: part -time waiter. good visual memory a plus. ability not to piss off customers is a must.:cool:

responses are going to be intermittent. too busy making all these orders to properly focus on everybody:p

1st BB - but just think, save that same money and you are aabout 1/3 of the way towards a low end imac in about 2-3 mos.. by then other financial things could change. hell, you mihgt even have sold the dell by then. still want to know why you need more computer immediatelly.

here are mountain dew things with strawberries for symphonix and you (just as easy to make 2 at once)

symphonix - you present as good a case for going to uni as any i have ever heard. sounds like a future worth avoiding at all costs!!

one pitcher of water and one pint. coffee's brewing and i'm working on that chaser.:D

Ed... I forgot something... I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have done this to teach me anything... it's listed under his name and line of credit... i don't think he'd want that screwed up

Ed, you have gotten on my last nerve! :D LOL! just kidding! :p

I will save up for the iMac or PowerMac (now i'm confused on what I really want to buy... after looking at the box, the 15 inch monitor doesn't seem so big after all)

Thanks Ed, you are a great financial advisor! (were you in the financial advisement career field at one time?)

ok, here's that fancy whiskey chaser for Timsey. I would recommend the pasta today. Pizza wil be ready later as well. sorry to hear about your unbudgeted move. those suck!!

coffee is ready and toast is served. perhaps ksv should be behind the bar and i should be the waiter. maybe we need a better chef than me as well.:p

BB - not just my advice, that seemed to be the consensus of all. you should be thanking everybody for their input on this one. and take your time in deciding what you want - after all, the deals always get better, not worse.

ksv - what about it, got time to tend a little bar? sounds like you're a natural. sorry we can't send the dew. i guess you'll just have to start saving for a trip to the states.:D also sounds like you had a little project you can now feel good about:)

so Admiral - what happened with that girl at the bar last night? we noticed you left together. it was hard to tell if it was going to work out or not the way she left so quickly and you went running after her:p
also, now that you have a little water in you , try this for a hangover. it is a shot of V8 with a few drops of tabasco sauce. i guarentee it will snap you right back:D (what is that ouuuuuzing out of your brains:confused: :D )

he he :D
I did not have a hangover (but thanks for teh tips, I will keep em in mind when I have my first hangover :p) -- whenever I wake up I am always easygoing :p

In any case, that girl last nite....well...she wasn't the mediterranean type (more of a northern european slant) but that did not prevent her from showing me her appartment....really nice deco ;-) hehe :p

Waiter!
Gimme an ice cold ice tea, and a house cheeseburger! On teh double! :)
Anyone else care to join me ?

Admiral

Back