How do I migrate from 2021 MM to 2023 MM2 with one monitor

TuckerdogAVL

Registered
I have one monitor. All the how tos talk about seeing codes, okays, yeses between one mini and the other using migrate assist. The old Mini is 1tb but I’ve managed to get what is on it down to 350g. The new one is 512 gb. If I attempt to use Time m is it going to f up? Is it even possible? Or how do I do this with one monitor? I could take to geek squad but don’t have a week to wait.

If your time machine backup will allow you restore to a smaller drive (try it), then that should work. Hopefully, your time machine backup is current.
If you use the Time Machine backup for the new mini, then you don't need the other mini at all, at least to transfer your files/apps
You are not going to have a lot of free space, going in to the new mini.
The old mini is 1TB, but I've managed to get what is on it down to 350GB
Might be an idea worth considering to return that 512GB model, and that will be your motivation to spend a bit more for more internal storage, starting out.

If your time machine backup will allow you restore to a smaller drive (try it), then that should work. Hopefully, your time machine backup is current.
If you use the Time Machine backup for the new mini, then you don't need the other mini at all, at least to transfer your files/apps
You are not going to have a lot of free space, going in to the new mini.

Might be an idea worth considering to return that 512GB model, and that will be your motivation to spend a bit more for more internal storage, starting out.
If we get to the "it might" and "it should" and it doesn't, what are the issues? How would I start over? I'd also be going from the TM that was used to backup the MacMini Fusion running Monterey, and new one is Ventura? Is that going to cause issues (Another asterisk... LOL).
I plan on saving everything to the cloud and externals, which is why I got the MM1 down to 350gb.

Is it possible to do this with one monitor? Plugging and unplugging? I have had the darn thing since July and would like to get on to having to purchase all the new peripherals that won't work any longer LOL

You ask lots of questions, using the same sort of challenges that I use, such as asking if it is possible?
There's one way to find out if this will all work, right?

If your Time Machine backup is current, then you don't need to hook up to the older Mac at all, just connect your Time Machine backup when your new Mac asks if you want to migrate from another drive. You will see that it will ask if you want to restore from a Time Machine backup.
The fact that the backup came from an older Mac with a fusion drive (and only one macOS generation older) really should not make a difference. In fact, let me fix my last statement to make it less likely to cause you to continue to avoid the try. The new Mac, on first boot, will ask you if you want to migrate from a Time Machine backup. Follow the steps to do just that. You will notice that I have not suggested that you hook up anyting to your old Mac. When the Time Machine backup works, you won't use your old Mac for any part of the process. Your new Mac, with the migration process, will sort out what files go where. It will not matter that the Time Machine backup came from a Mac with a Fusion drive. The migration process will know where everything needs to go.
Come back and let me know how it goes.
"What if it doesn't work?" Come back to ask about that, after you try the migration first!

I finally just gave up and used two hdmi cables. I started MM1, answered the okays, unplugged the keyboard, plugged it into MM2, hdmi n MM2, okay, code, back and forth yes and yes, in and out, til finally it started. Original ly stated 20hrs, but took about 90 mins , 500000+ files. Of course, I realized while waiting and reading more hidden gems of info on the iPad, I could have attached them with c to c, though the old MM needed an adapter, of course. But, peer to peer worked. Done. Thanks for your input.

I finally just gave up and used two hdmi cables. I started MM1, answered the okays, unplugged the keyboard, plugged it into MM2, hdmi n MM2, okay, code, back and forth yes and yes, in and out, til finally it started. Original ly stated 20hrs, but took about 90 mins , 500000+ files. Of course, I realized while waiting and reading more hidden gems of info on the iPad, I could have attached them with c to c, though the old MM needed an adapter, of course. But, peer to peer worked. Done. Thanks for your input. PS I didn’t want to use the old Time M because Then I couldn’t have gone backwards if needed. have an external i’ll use for new backup and when I feel it’s all safe, convert the old one to data.

Back