How will Snow Leopard compare with Windows 7?

In my totally unprofessional opinion, Windows 7 will be much better than Vista ever was for Microsoft. But then there's a *lot* of hope there, and the expectations might not get met once the final product arrives. Similar things happened for XP and Vista when they were first released.

Snow Leopard is not looking like it'll be a "wow!" release. It doesn't seem to be about UI features and stuff, rather about cleaning up the act, getting rid of PowerPC etc. It also looks like graphics cards will get a much bigger role in 10.6. I'm looking forward to that.

I don't think it'll be much of a "brainer". Windows might find its grip again, but by its release, Apple will have continued to eat into the market pie. And I don't see that momentum fade anytime soon. Let's see whether Apple's new products at MWSF will be products that can bring more people over to our side of the pond. A new Mac mini might almost certainly help that cause. It's been denied of that role lately by not having been updated.

I'd be pleased to see the Mac Mini updated. However I would recommend that potential Mac Mini purchasers go for maximum memory and hard disc capacity at time of purchase.

Having looked at the beta snapshots of Windows 7 I am disappointed to see the perennial (and very irritating) Windows pop-ups are still a feature.

About that Mac mini comment: Here's to the hope that the Mac mini gets a clue from the unibody MacBooks and lets users install RAM and harddrive themselves easily. Yeah, it hasn't been Apple's thing in the past, but the MacBook and MBP shows that they can and currently are willing to do it. But that's off-topic.

About the Win7 thing: I don't think MS will walk off their long-trodden paths too much. The same things that have been irritating us in the past will continue to do so in the future. In other ways, maybe. Remember how Windows XP suddenly got that ugly Fisher-Price look? It was toy-like at best. Today it's called the more professional alternative, because Vista has taken its cues from 3D games instead of a user interface handbook. I'm not entirely sure Microsoft gets that at all, but from what I've seen about Win7 by now, I just don't think so.

I mean: Take a look at image 23 of that gallery... Don't they see how that upper lip is plain ugly? I don't see any way to see this any differently.

Or this one... They seem to have quite an issue with space. It doesn't look right. At all.

Much worse, though: It's not gonna feel right. Microsoft hasn't tried to get the "feel" part of "look & feel" right. They've played with effects of menus fading etc. and they've been playing with transparency effects lately, but they just haven't actually looked at GUIs that _do_ feel right. I fully expect them to release some kind of new mouse next year with force-feedback to add effects to handling Windows 7. It'll feel even more like a computer game, and that might attract the game folks, actually, but they won't get it right. History proves it. They just don't get these things.

I'll believe it when I see it. I remember people asking how Longhorn would compare to Jaguar, then Panther, then Tiger, and finally Leopard (although they did beat Leopard to market by almost a year). I realize Microsoft is trying to learn from their mistakes, but I'll still be surprised if Windows 7 is released in 2009. You know the old saying from Texas: "Fool me once...shame on........shame on you........................fool me can't get fooled again."

In any case, I'm sure that Windows will still be Windows. I can't use an XP machine for 5 minutes without Windows doing something annoying. Oh, there are unused icons on my desktop, you say? Not interested. Oh, there are unused icons on my desktop, you say? No, still not interested. Oh, there are....FINE! DO WHATEVER YOU WANT! JUST STOP BOTHERING ME!

I believe that 7 will be a shrunk down version of Vista, less fancy but much more efficient and completely recompiled to use the most recent hardware.

And 7 may include all little apps that are currently of Live so that you can you your files locally or remotely.

Well a lot of people seem to think (me too) that Microsoft BETTER get Windows 7 better or else.

Microsoft needs to have Windows 7 running on those mini netbooks and the budget PC well. I feel if they don't you will see a real general shift to OS X & Linux. So Microsoft is feeling the heat especially in most businesses. In my job I come across many companies and most all of them are still running Windows XP Pro and Server 2003. The servers are in a real danger of being replaced by Linux and if Apple ever gets real serious with OS X server. Most of these companies are experimenting with OS X desktop machines & Linux servers.

Apple's announcement of licensing Microsoft Exchange Support is really a welcomed surprise! Some IT people sat up and took notice of this.

Agreed. Microsoft are coming to a point where their customers are beginning to seriously reconsider their "favourite OS". Satcomer, you said we'll see a shift to OS X and Linux users. I think it's already begun.
Seeing was a majority of believing.

I think Windows 7 will be much better than Vista, but apart from slimming it down and making the Apps more Exzchange aware I have not seen a big difference in 10.6. As Fryke mentioned unless the final release changes it will not run on PowerPC based systems which may well upset a lot of users.

Unfortunately with the world economies going as they are I fear Apple may be the biggest loser in terms of OS market share, it might be the best but Apple hardware is the most expensive and that will hit them hard. I bought my Macbook almost a year ago, but if I had to replace it now I would find it hard to justify the price tag much as I love it.

Most popular OS for the next couple of years, got to be Linux as it has the best price point, Free and it runs on both PC and Mac hardware.

I think Windows 7 will be much better than Vista, but apart from slimming it down and making the Apps more Exzchange aware I have not seen a big difference in 10.6. As Fryke mentioned unless the final release changes it will not run on PowerPC based systems which may well upset a lot of users.

Unfortunately with the world economies going as they are I fear Apple may be the biggest loser in terms of OS market share, it might be the best but Apple hardware is the most expensive and that will hit them hard. I bought my Macbook almost a year ago, but if I had to replace it now I would find it hard to justify the price tag much as I love it.

Most popular OS for the next couple of years, got to be Linux as it has the best price point, Free and it runs on both PC and Mac hardware.

Unless it comes bundled with iLife'09 and iWork'09 for the same price as the former Leopard.

I have both tested and tried out Snow Leopard and Windows 7. From experience Snow Leopard is much faster than Leopard, with applications and the system.

Windows 7, I kinda see like Snow Leopard. It looks almost the same as the previous model, but different coding (or so i've heard for Windows 7). But Windows 7 just feels clunky and I don't see or feel much of a difference between Windows 7 and Windows Vista. Some things might have even taken longer than Windows Vista to load.

I also kind of think the ZDnet review was a bit biased.

So you're a private beta tester that works for both Apple and Microsoft?! Don't they consider that a conflict of interest concerning your job? I mean, since there's no legal way for anyone outside of those companies to get their hands on beta versions of those operating systems and all, you know, you see... and umm... ;)

Kill me... digitally? ;)

Yes.

HisDivineShadow.jpg

He will send one of his Divine Assassins. . . .

--J. "And May His Merciful Shadow Fall Upon You!" D.

P.S. Interesting if Snow Leopard runs faster than Leopard.

Back