[HOWTO] Reset User Password via single user mode

Easier Version:
(for PPC Mac - not sure about Intel)

First, boot into single-user mode:

1. Shut down the computer if it is on.
2. Press the power button to start the computer.
3. Immediately press and hold the Command (Apple)
and the S keys until you see white text appear.

At the prompt, type fsck -yf and press the return key.
Type mount -uw / and press the return key.
Type rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone and press return.

Type reboot

When the computer restarts, it should act as if you had
just installed OS X for the first time - it will prompt you
for information to set up an administrator level account.

Last edited:
ahaha, we all need to screw up the first time, and it has to be frustrating. Or else everyone would be a computer genius.
In more helpful words, have you tried inserting the OS install disk and repairing permissions?
Install disk is missing. I've since taken the machine in and am having a pro look at it. I used the TechTools repair disk and it would freeze up while trying to repair the hard drive, repeatedly, at about the same point, so I'm assuming the hard drive has failed somehow. Too bad about that expired warranty...

Satcomer,

Proof that good info never dies, used your solution allowing one to reset the password in single user mode without booting from the install media.

Worked not quite like a charm, but eventually it worked like a charm.

Hanx(!)

You can use a reset disk or you can use my method. It may stuff everything up though.

Last edited:
single user mode reset password:leopard
mount -uw /
ls /users
passwd (user's name)
(enter the password cannot be seen)
reboot

------

single user mode change password tiger

1. mount -uw /
2. sh /etc/rc
3. ls /users
4. passwd (user name)

I'm sorry, but I don't understand you at all. I bought a used mac laptop. The person I bought it from doesn't remember the password, so I can't install any new software or make myself the administrator. What can I do

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't really matter to you, does it? You just copied the complete post #8 in this thread so you could provide your little spammy ads...
Good luck on that!

You can also try this..
Boot off of the OS X CD by holding down C when booting the computer with the disk in and you can reset it in there

or

You can probably set a new root PW by going to System Preferences> Security and clicking there in the space for changing the master (root) password.

All you'll need is a usable login PW to make the change and you're home free.

Hope this helps in case you're unable to do anything regarding root using the CD.

@jmndoza:
The Master password is not related to the root user, and is only a safety backup for a FileVault password, used to unlock a FileVault account if the normal password has been lost. An admin can also use the master password to change the password on any other account.
But, other than those items, the master password (which is not a user account) does not have the power of the root user.

@ nany2204
Are you thanking yourself for providing a handy spam link - or is it for copying text verbatim from a previous post?

I saw that! LOL
It reminds me of putting two of those toys that respond to your conversation near each other, and the toys talk to each other... Wait, that's a little weird and scary, eh?
OTOH, not too different from your thread, either :D

I have tried and failed to boot into single user mode on a 12 inch iBook G4. I press the power button while holding command+s, hear a chime, the screen flickers and then stays black. I have held the command+s for 5 minutes and still nothing happens.
Any suggestions on what might be causing this?
I am running OS X 10.4.11

Any help at all would be really appreciated. My girlfriend has given me her old Ibook G4 as she is now on Powerbook and we do not know her password so any assistance on this query would be extremely helpful. I am an old-school PC man who is getting into the realm of MAC. I need to try and upload new software apps and the password block is preventing me from experiencing the joy of mac.

Any help at all would be really appreciated. My girlfriend has given me her old Ibook G4 as she is now on Powerbook and we do not know her password so any assistance on this query would be extremely helpful. I am an old-school PC man who is getting into the realm of MAC. I need to try and upload new software apps and the password block is preventing me from experiencing the joy of mac.

Have you read this thread from the beginning?

Back