If you want 10.1 spoiled for you, read this!

There seem to be a lot of very uptight people on this board.

Can't you all just let people have their fun with these builds that are going to be free when they come out anyway?

And don't try and argue that we're causing damage to Apple or to Developers by leaking that beta. I'm a small time developer, and guess what. I'm benefiting from my access to leaked 10.1 betas. So are all the other small time developers who can't afford a Premium subscription.

And I supported Apple by taking a chance with them and buying the new iBook, after 8 or so years of exclusive MS PC use. I was disappointed by the speed of OS X, I'm not any more.

I guess I'm a little late to the discussion, but you're all acting very unreasonable and biased.

One last thing - Look at NVidia's drivers and their developer connection program for an example of pre-release software hurting noone. All you need is a web page with some screenshots of your engine to get access to cheap hardware, email support and beta drivers, all for free.

-Wade

Have you actually read this thread?

Granted, there have been some off the wall, somewhat hostile and ill-informed comments, but taken as a whole, it is relevant, valid and interesting.

If you did, indeed, read this thread (my posts, in particular the one discussing Piracy) you would see that your criticisms are pretty much dealt with.

I guess I'd like to see your examples of "unreasonable" and "biased." I'll agree that there are a lot of "uptight" people on this, and every, board.;)

I just don't think I've ever heard anyone respond so passionately (referring to the anti-pirates) over someone's use of an unauthorized pre-release version of essentially free software.

Perhaps I was a little harsh, but I can't believe people are getting so caught up over somebody saying '10.1 is fast!' to the point where they would actually refute the claim and imply that to achieve stability, they'll have to slow it down again significantly. We're talking about bugs here, not processor yields.

-Wade

Addendum: I disagree that the discussion is raising valid points since I don't think you can really have a debate about piracy in such a victimless situation.

Seems I pretty much agre with you except that the discussion of Piracy (at least my post on the subject - in my opinion) presented valid points.

You don't need to be discussing Quantum Physics to bring up and debate valid points.

My only regret is that so many of those so vehemently opposed to "piracy" chose not to discuss my post re:that subject. I thought it would have been fun.

I also think that that many people got upset with individuals claiming that v10.1 was going to suck. You seem like you know what I'm talking about so I'll assume you know that these people using half-assed leaked internal (usually) builds really don't know what they're talking about when running performance comparisons (if they even do anything beyond subjetive comparisons) and do really damage public perception of what X is or what the update will be...

That does piss me off.

Originally posted by kilowatt
Lots of high school students have sex. I don't support doing that, despite its popularity.

Oh gawd :rolleyes: . I just know that you are American! Last time I looked, the legal age of consent was 16. However, do please explain what teenage sex has to do with pirated software. I am all ears.

Originally posted by free&unmuzzled

Oh gawd :rolleyes: . I just know that you are American! Last time I looked, the legal age of consent was 16. However, do please explain what teenage sex has to do with pirated software. I am all ears.

It's called 'an analogy'.

What you are doing is called 'being contrary'.

Though it may not be the best of analogies (not everyone is a great debater), his intended point is still valid and simple. He was responding to a post that said 'everyone else is doing it' - attempting to justify that software piracy is therefore valid.

Most of the anti-anti-piracy posts are similar to yours - nit-picking on semantics because there is no real ethical validity for the piracy positions. Piracy is wrong, and all the rationalization, presonal attacks, immature jokes and cultural slurs in the world don't change that fact.

I'd like to add to your points that it is "morally" wrong (actually a subjective thing - although I agree it is "morally wrong" TO ME and, obviously, you); it is not wrong for the bottom line of the BIG software corps. It might suck for little shops, but that, too, helps the big guys...

The 5F24 build is a good demo version of Puma 10.1 but this build doesn't have all features tha the retail version of Puma will have.

Install the 5G24 and you'll see how many bugs it has...example? finder crash often, usb plug and play is not implemented...you get a kernel panic if you try to disconnect a usb peripheral....

However 10.1 versions are better than 10.0.4.... the speed of the system has been increased...

We have to wait for the release version of 10.1....

Originally posted by tenhead

It's called 'an analogy' etc.

I don't remember saying that I was "anti-anti-piracy"(sic). I didn't state my position on piracy at all actually. I just wanted elucidation on the high school sex thing. And I don't think that guessing someone's nationality based on their posting is a cultural slur. I bet you are fun to wind-up at parties.

Whatever. Pro or anti-piracy, the main concern about these "10.1 is great posts is that they build up potentially unrealistic expectations. Expectations that the final release may not live up to. I have seen many forum posters on other forums swear blind that 10.0.4 window re-sizing was ultra-fast after "pre-binding/creating a separate VM partition/wearing green socks/insert your voodoo here." Whitesaint seems the young and enthusiastic type. I have found one post from an ADC member stating that he found window re-sizing only marginally improved in 10.1.

If this turns out to be the case then I would say that Whitesaint and others caused harm, albeit unintentionally, by posting their observations. Lets just hope 10.1 really is a speed demon.

I always forget to turn off those auto reminders macosx.com sends for new posts... "...may I cus," was drivin me nuts!

Anyway, it's September and only a few weeks away. When one of you have the ACTUAL release, let me know.

You know my position on all these topics. I'll leave it at that.

Anyway, I'll be in Deutschland settling (hope, hope) a case until the 14th so the wait won't seem too long to me:p

I'll still be checking in occasionally, so keep things interesting.

Personally I don't think Apple gives a damn about the leaks. They don't have anything to lose, it's not like Microsoft doesn't have builds weeks newer than the leaks, and it's not like they have to release builds as reliable as the public beta.

The only bad aspect is the hype which is going to be there anyway.

We already know what to expect from 10.1. Speed, DVD, burning, and bug fixes. In the meantime using a stable 10.1 build raises productivity significantly so sue me if I don't refrain from using it just because Apple wants to cover their ass legally.

As for the #1 10.1 improvement? NSDocument now behaves like it uses an FSRef instead of a POSIX file path. Cocoa apps now suck less.

Oh no! Now Microsoft knows!

--and just to make myself clear, if customers police themselves, they will be the ONLY ones who don't know what 10.1 has. Do you think DELL, Sun, HP, Microsoft, or Sony hasn't seen 10.1 builds? Well no, so long they don't get caught, and what are the chances of that? Exactly. It's legal ass-covering, get over yourselves.

And I don't think that guessing someone's nationality based on their posting is a cultural slur. I bet you are fun to wind-up at parties.

When you use a cultural distinction as a way to insult someone, I call that a cultural slur. Associating 'American' with one who celebrates chastity, and then implying that person's opinion is therefore less valuable is just misguided, to say the least.

Party on, Garth!

"one who celebrates chastity."???? Whatever. London-New York-Tokyo-San Francisco-Paris-Los Angles-Milan and nothing in between but a bunch of hicks.:eek:

Whatever. London-New York-Tokyo-San Francisco-Paris-Los Angles-Milan and nothing in between but a bunch of hicks.:eek:

Hmmm. Absolutely clueless about why some people choose morality over transgressions, property versus anarchy, the virtues of maturity, or what any of this has to do with anything.

I guess all them backwoods simpletons just aint got no sofistikashen like the kewl kozmopolitan dewdz got. So...

Isn't there something about OS 10.1 that anyone wants to share?

Observations about 4g48:
Photoshop will crash if you have Nortons installed, a normal set of 9.2 seems to work but if you have a few extras then forget it, same goes for Office, stick to normal extensions.
DVD playback as I have said before is really superb....does any other version of Unix do this? Please post as I'm sick of dos clowns e-mailing me telling me of the flaws with DVD playback. Special note to wingers, if you minimise DVD playerto the dock it does not play in the dock, please do not post this as a bug!
Is it stable well I've decided to install it on my Ti book 400/256
all F keys work re sound etc. Will test windows and Novell connectivity next week.
One thing is that if an application needs your attention it will bounce in the dock
One more thing thing Seti seems to process faster....
Anyway come the 26th I think that we will all be surprised.

Thanks to all those that posted there findings on OSX 10.1. I was a little concerned about the speed of 10.0.x however lived with it thinking that when the update comes out it will be faster.

I saw job's demo at MacWorld NY however considering I dont know what hardware he was using Its a poor judge of speed. He could have been showing it on some quad g4 they have been kicking around the office for all we know.

I have allways been one to beta test the builds before release (not for apple, I dont have a spare machine to do it on, nor the time to source them), microsoft are alot more open with the releases of there operating systems. I have been working with Windows XP here at work for a few months (its crap) and we decided not to role it out. The cd I have came from MS who wanted to show the people who push the technology (not by choice in my case) what they have to offer.

Apple is very secretive about the builds they have, which is fine thats the way they want to work. However with the builds and the legality of them comes many issues. When people are passionate about something they will allways want to have a look at it, before OSX came out I went to my local mac store and they had the DP1 release running on a machine so people could play with it, then closer to the release they had the different builds.

If any of you come along and post infomation about 10.1 then I will listen to what you have to say. If you are against the distribution then dont do it and set an example. (But resorting to flames and preaching does not change a thing other than the perception others have about mac fans) I would be the last one to want anything bad to happen to apple.

Also does anyone have any ideas what apple think about these leaks, do they really get worried about them or do they just not care. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

I was pleased to hear about the App that needs attention bouncing in the dock. It really used to piss me off in 10.0.x when you hear an error alert but as there in no app menu you didn't know which app it was. Does anyone know what happens if you have the dock hidden and an app needs attention.

Thanks

Ti 400/512

"If necessity is the mother of invention, ingenuity is the father"

Back