• Yes. Already ordered one.

• No. Worse than the Cube.

• Maybe. Will wait and see.

• What iMac? Where's my G5 PowerBook?

• Not Interested

Results are only viewable after voting.
What is a "software restart" ?

Ricky said:
I almost never use the power button on my iMac because I always either put it to sleep or do a software restart.

It makes sense to have it near the keyboard on a laptop because leaving it off sleep sucks up a charge. :)

Macsith said:
Is this a Consumer or Prosumer iMac.....what do you think?

Also will the down-fan blow paperwork if it's near the base?
IMHO it'd have to drive a second monitor (in non-Mirroring mode) to qualify as Prosumer...

I guess I have mixed feelings. As a nice consumer desktop machine design it rocks in the well established tradition of a self contained Mac, but why not just take the next step and let it be a laptop and/or tablet? If this is a consumer model, I have to ask how many Word, Web and iTunes users really need or would be excited about a G5? I expect this to be something of a marketing flop.

karavite said:
I guess I have mixed feelings. As a nice consumer desktop machine design it rocks in the well established tradition of a self contained Mac, but why not just take the next step and let it be a laptop and/or tablet? If this is a consumer model, I have to ask how many Word, Web and iTunes users really need or would be excited about a G5? I expect this to be something of a marketing flop.

The cooling is the main factor, then the power requires which is why it's not in a laptop or tablet. Even the casual user looks for increased performance in the form of more responsive apps to make the experience of using the machine that much better. That it has a G5 may not matter much to these same users, but just that it's noticably faster would be enough for some to make the purchase.

why not just take the next step and let it be a laptop and/or tablet?
Because it would have to be capable of running from a battery: three fans and a power-hungry G5 do not make for a long and happy battery life. Using smaller parts, to make it lighter, would probably make it too expensive. As it is now it is too heavy and too thick to be a tablet or a laptop. They have done an amazing job at cramming all the eqipment is such an enclosure, do not presume it would be easy to double that performance by halving the weight and size. They will do it eventually, but it takes time for research and design.

Okay, I get it, but it is very hard to let go of preconceptions - I mean, it LOOKS like half of an iBook hanging on a stand! :)

Actually, it looks just like the new iMac. I don't see an iBook in this and don't see the necessity to try...

I find it rather amusing how people see the _pictures_ of the new iMac and think it could 'lead somehow to a tablet or a notebook'. The iMac's MUCH too _big_ (don't forget about THAT, please) and too heavy, anyway, to be anything like a 'path to a tablet computer'. And 'to a notebook': Apple already has two great lines of notebooks. One of them, the PowerBooks, will sooner or later (but definitely NEXT year) get 64bit computing (which is _not_ that important, it's merely a label, where most people are concerned, what we want is more speed!).

The work of the iMac was aimed at creating this iMac, not at creating a tablet computer nor at creating a PowerBook G5.

You know that I give it some thought. Aside from battery life, which I'm sure will improve with some low power version of the G5, Dell and Alienware have a chunky gaming laptop which is neither thin nor light for the extreme gaming and performance user. Maybe Apple might be able to ease the G5 into portables by doing something similar.

Didn't the power button used to be on back for the 1980s AIO's?

I like the iMac G5 for its easy access to ports and the power button on the back. I am glad to see Ive is sticking with white instead of adding colors. Looks very modern and is not going to be outdated anytime soon.

The eMac looks like the potential iPod Mini matching model.

The iMac G3 I own now has a bad CRT and this looks like a great replacement! Honestly, when I bought the iMac I did not use the digital video at all. So here is hoping I can go another round with iMovie. I will also be replacing my 1G iPod for the 4G iPod. :D

later

ApeintheShell said:
Didn't the power button used to be on back for the 1980s AIO's?

They had the power switch on the back, but the keyboards had a power button on the keyboard where the G3 iMac keyboards have the new shaped power button. The old ones were a large flat button approximately the size of the numpad's 0 button. It had the old reset logo which wasn't a standby logo, it's the logo for the developer's reset button on the first iMacs (the little hollow triangle).

It was the same with EVERY Mac at that point. I remember shutting down the computer, then reaching around the back to switch off the power on the back on my LC 1 and my Classics and Performas

That was only with the Macintosh SE and later. The Macintosh Plus and earlier only had the power switch on the back... (They didn't use ADB for keyboard/mouse connection, but some sort of phone line cable...) ;-)

fryke said:
Actually, it looks just like the new iMac. I don't see an iBook in this and don't see the necessity to try...

I find it rather amusing how people see the _pictures_ of the new iMac and think it could 'lead somehow to a tablet or a notebook'. The iMac's MUCH too _big_ (don't forget about THAT, please) and too heavy, anyway, to be anything like a 'path to a tablet computer'. And 'to a notebook': Apple already has two great lines of notebooks. One of them, the PowerBooks, will sooner or later (but definitely NEXT year) get 64bit computing (which is _not_ that important, it's merely a label, where most people are concerned, what we want is more speed!).

Oh good God please stop _emphasizing_ :p

I rather _emphasize_ than SCREAM. And I also like the _'s more than using vB code. ;-) But you might be right that I've done it a little _too_ much in the recent past. :p

hmmm, i think im going to get rid of my powermac g5 for one of these. This badboy is taking up too much space.
Now I think if it can convert someone like me with a powermac g5... Its got to have a good impact on 'joe public' who thinks there +1800xp is just too big. Intresting.

yeah but dont count on the iMac replacing the PM performance-wise. There are bound to be some cutbacks. Like bus speed. The iMac's bus tops out at 600MHz for the 1.8GHz model. Thats a 3:1 processor to bus compared to the 2:1 for the power macs (the Powermacs bus is 900MHz for the 1.8GHz model).
I dont know much else about other stuff, but the bus speed caught my eye at the apple store. But one thing's for sure that the iMac wont replace the PowerMac performance wise even if it comes to par in processor speed.

... and the missing processor also won't create speed. But space-wise, the iMac G5 is certainly king, as the computer is, basically, gone. ;-)

Back